3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Riser lamination question  (Read 366 times)

Offline geales

• Trad Bowhunter
Riser lamination question
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
I've been inspired El Cheapo by SOS. I have had the bingham plans for some time, but not enough motivation. I have some walnut and brazilian cherry pieces sitting around, but nothing substatial enough for a T/D riser. Should laminations be stacked front to back or side to side? I have a one piece Pearson that is side to side, but most new T/D seem to be laminated front to back. Thanks for the help.

George
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riser lamination question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Either way will work. Actionwood is side to side and dymondwood also. More glue lines done right is stronger.
High on Archery.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
George, either should work, but as crooked stick said, use several laminations for extra strength.  I made the mistake of putting the phenolic stripe too far toward the belly and cut and sanded almost completely through it shaping the riser.  That's where it failed when I accidently dry fired it.  See the other El Cheapo threads for details and the resurrected bow.  The bow took its second deer of the season last week....yahoo!  PM with questions.  Good luck, incredibly satisfying shooting a bow of your creation.  Steve  p.s. glad to know I inspired someone....LOL.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
I believe either way will work, just do whatever you want to do and get the look you want.  That brazillian cherry is some nice wood.
Steve's bow came out real nice, and it's a real killing machine!

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
I believe that the riser will be stronger if you laminated left to right. However, as laminating front to back plenty strong, it kind of becomes moot point.  You will get some very pretty, almost featherlike, grain patterns in your sight window if you laminate left to right with very thin laminations and if you curve the face of the sight window.

"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©