3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: funniest,strangest things seen in the woods  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
funniest,strangest things seen in the woods
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
whats the funniest, and or strangest things you have ever seen while on stand, or anywhere in the woods for that matter!

mine would have to be the time i was seeing a bunch of deer behind my friends house. i decided to go back with my climber, and ambush them!

after i found a nice cherry tree and got settled in, i herd crunching in the leaves! i grabbed my bow and got ready for the shot.

turned out to be a guy and a woman, walking through the property. they passed by about 50 yds and dissapeared, ( i thought)

a few minutes later, i looked to my right and there they are!!! doing you know what!!!!!!  :eek:    :eek:  

well, im trying to figure out what the heck to do,im in a cherry tree so its not like i can get down out of the tree quitly! so after a bit they
put there cloths on and procede to walk right past my tree, about 5 yds, and never even seen me!!!  :knothead:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: funniest,strangest things seen in the woods
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Been there done that! Wait make that been there seen that!

Bout ten years back I was camped up in the Wind river Basin in Wyoming on a do it youself muley hunt. There was another bunch og guys camped down the road a bit. From what I saw it was a dad and his four sons. They were from West Vaginia according to plate on truck. Kinda of a scary lookin bunch, dad kinda zztop look alike. Anyways couple days later this suburban with dark tinted windows pulls up to my site and this guy jumps out and flashes this FBI shiels at me. He pulls out a picture and says seen this guy round here? Guess who - zztop himself, anyways I tell FBI man he's down road in tent. Guy jumps back in suburban and outa knowhere comes cars, suburbans, blazers and lots guns. Musta been the unibomber or something. Nobody ever did tell me. Enough excitement for one hunt. Kinda makes me wonder knows anytime I'm camping in the middle of nowhere. Keep the Benelli handi!
hunt it

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »

They are out there.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
One day I was watching these two fox squirrels chasing each other around and around this big hickory tree right in front of me.  This went on for about a half an hour until they were at the top of the same tree when one decided it would jump a span of about fifteen or so feet to another tree.  There it is flying through the air and bareley makes it to the skinny little branch that was bending quite a bit from being blasted by this squirrel rocket right behind the first one the second had jumped also but instead of branch there was only the other swuirrel to cling to.  Needless to say the twig snapped off and they both fell about 50 feet to the ground landing with a terrible thud.  I was sitting there with my jaw hanging in disbelief when they jumped up and just stared at each other for about 30 seconds and around the tree they went again.  I couldn't wait to tell someone what had happened probably they funniest thing I have ever seen hunting.
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
gaffey- that wouldn't have been half as funny a story: if you had been in an apple tree  :)

Two things that I can remember; one was when my son and I were bowhunting; and saw a huge piles of apples. We noticed a treestand in a nearby oak tree.
 So; we were standing there; in camo; talking; and these two squirrel hunters walked up. They did not see us.
 They did see the pile of apples; and the little 1/2 inch sapling next to the pile. They tried a couple apples and then talked about coming back and digging up the sapling - after all 3 or 4 bushels for a sapling is a dang good tree !

I think one of the funniest things; was when I and 5 other guys went bowhunting together. We parked the vehicles and split up to look for deer.

I found a spot where the deer had a trail across a road; and set up there for a while.

Along comes a guy with a bow; and he was smoking a cigarette; and I stood up so he could see me.
 When he got up to me; I asked " seen anything?".

Well he had not seen me; and about had a heart attack; and said he was NEVER bowhunting again!

Later on when I got back with my buddies; I told them the story and everyone laughed; because that poor guy ran into all six of us; and each of us: scared the holy stuff right out of him  :)  

If your the guy - I am sorry- it was not on purpose    :wavey:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
Had my neighbor's dogs trail me to my treestand one afternoon. The biggest one, a collie I think, sniffed all the way to the base of my tree and stood there for a few seconds, well long enough for me to get out a bottle of scent killer and try to drop it on him. I missed just behind his tail, BUT the bottle did bounce right back up and hit him square in the dog arse. That dog ran all the way home squallin like a banchee.

Another time, same dogs. I was ground huntin and saw them headed straight down the trail I was on. At about 6 feet, I took off yellin and chasin. He and the other one squalled all the way home. I never saw them in those woods again.

Brutus

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
One of the funniest things I have seen was my buddy Daryl and I were hunting down behund my parents house and we split up to go sit. It was early afternoon and he said he was gonna sit the pine tree stand.I reminded him there was no stand in the tree.(we used one limb as a seat and another as a foot rest). I went on my way, well about a half hour before dark it started to snow pretty hard. I sat until dark and headed out. I got back to the house and no Darryl, so I waited about half an hour and no Darryl. I got worried and went looking, as I approached his tree I noticed tons of fresh deer tracks inthe snow. No people tracks though. I shine my flashlight up into the tree and here he is all stretched out on two big limbs, covered in snow and snoring pretty loud. I started to laugh so hard I woke him up, it was even funnier to see a giant blast of snow come off of him when he almost fell out of the tree. It was even better when he climbed down and I showed him all those fresh tracks around his stand. We still laugh about it today and are amazed he did not fall out of the tree while sleeping. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
I was out hiking around one spring looking for shed antlers and a lizard that had crawled inside a shotgun shell and was unable to back due to his scales. He had died because of his curiosity.    :(

"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
i saw to cows goin at it and the clumsy male fell on his rear when attemping to climb his woman when i was rabbit hunting

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
I had a sparrow hawk make a circle around me and I moved my longbow a little and that little guy went up about 60ft and went into a death roll towards me  :eek:  . Well, at about 30ft I realized he was focused on my beaver balls and I tore off my head net and waved my free hand at him and he pulled away at about 12ft from me  :scared:  !
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »
Had a feral horse walk into camp in the mountains of Arizona...no saddle, no shoes, no bridle...and of course, no rider...

She just came over, I pet her flanks, and she walked right out of camp...my buddy grabbed his boomstick 'cuz he thought she was gonna stomp me...
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
I was walking a trail in a public park, on my way to a little spot, when I heard noise behind me...

Some "yahoo" in a blue jumpsuit was 30 yards behind me, compound in one hand, and one broadhead tipped arrow in the other...no big deal, right?

Well he was in a solid blue jogging jumpsuit, and his wife was in a solid red matching one...and she was holding four more broadhead tipped arrows in her hands...

They asked me if I had seen anything, just about as loud as they possibly could without yelling, so I simply asked which way they were headed, so I could quickly go the opposite way!!

You just gotta shake your head sometimes...!!!
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
A giant domestic billy goat.

He would slip the fence on the owners property whenever he wanted, and go eat white oak acorns beside the deer on the place I had permission.

The first time I saw his tracks, I thought they were huge deer tracks. I was convinced it had to be a turty pointer!

The first time he saw me I was sneaking in with a climber on my back, and here he comes. Running like he`s gonna squash me.(he was big enough to be a concern) He, and his long sweeping horns stopped short, and began checking out this thing on my back. Around his neck was a strap with a bell, missing the ringer inside. "Banjo" was written on the strap. I noticed he was watching my hands, and realized he was looking far a handout. All I had was a pack of sugar free mints.
I dug into my pocket to get them and he perked up. I offered the mint, and he gave it a sniff, sucked it into his lips, and crunched it loudly.
I offered another, and he simply turned away and went they way he came from.

I saw him from time to time over the next two years, and learned from experience that the orange circus peanut candies were his favorite.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 06:51:00 AM »
I have a patch of woodland I hunt with the air-rifle, full of rabbits & skwerls. I was over there, I think it was August last year, just mooching around the place trying to spot a bunny or two for the pot. Anyway, I'm stalking around being as quiet as possible & I hear someone running. I had a look arund, couldn't see a thing but could still hear the sound of running feet getting louder & closer. The next thing I know there's a bloody great OSTRICH coming at me, hell for leather out of the bushes!   :eek:    :eek:   It saw me at about the same time as I saw it & just swerved out of the way & kept on going. All I can think is that it had escaped from a farm or zoo, but I've never heard or read anything about it in the local paper. Wierded me out for a while!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
Do I count?

I have a habit of attracting flying squirrels for some reason. I've seen many of them over the years while most people don't believe they even exist around here. Probably because they are so nocturnal. Anyway, this year one morning I climbed up in a stand that is on the bank of a small creek. Just when it was light enough to make out shadows I caught something coming at me from above out of the corner of my eye. It takes longer to tell than it took to happen, but the next thing I know "something" heavy landed in my lap, ran up my chest, across my neck, and into the tree above me. Scare the bajesus out of me, and while I don't remember and I'll never admit it anywhere but here, I'm sure I screamed like a little girl.

5 minutes later a second one tried to land in the same place. apparently they had found the web seat on the stand was a nice soft landing spot. I saw that one coming too and reacted accordingly.  :scared:   Let's just say it's a good thing I had a harness on.   The second one tried to reverse engines in mid flight, and because he was a glider, well, let's just say it didn't work. It hit my bow and bounced off, ran up the tree and scolded me for 1/2 hour.

Never did see a deer that day..... :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
While bear hunting in the Adirondacks a friend of mine discovered a pile of bear scat as we were bushwacking to the top of a ridge together.He began to poke and prod it with a stick out of curiosity to see what the bears were feeding on.Never answering his own question we move on only to discover soiled TP on the opposite side of the log.All I could do besides laugh at him was think"Golly, Dese Here Bear Sho Is Sophisticated!"

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
Dang, Brent that was funny , man. I've been known to scream like a little girl on occasion.
 I once saw a gray fox climbing trees. It appeared to just be fooling around like a youngster.It'd climb one then jump down and scramble over to another and zip up that one.
 Pretty critter.
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
Rob's story reminding me of this. While hunting chukar on public land, a guy I know ran into some awfully big birds...

He immediately called up NDOW and asked what he needs to do to get a tag. Sorry, they said, NDOW doesn't issue tags for them.
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
A friend of a friend of was hunting a farm with a few houses nearby. A young buck worked his way near his stand and he took the shot and missed. He kept taking shots and missing, the deer seemed unconcerned. When his quiver was empty, the deer was still unscathed and feeding under him. Shortly after he ran out of arrows a girl came out of the nearest farmhouse and yelled "FLUFFY" at which point the deer raised it's head and ran straight to the girl.

The guy said later he sure would have been sick if he had killed this girl's pet deer and was glad he wasn't much of a bow shot.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
Instech.... that sounds like their way of trying to harass you (hunter)without the consequences.  They are posing as hunters,so they can be out and about, but obviously are not.  Seen that before.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©