Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Making up some Bison arrows  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
Making up some Bison arrows
« on: December 06, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I am looking at the Ashby heads (315 grains) and the grizzly stick safari's.

I have a Shrew 58# Classic hunter.

What do you think.?

Do you know if there are weight tubes for them (they are tapered)....looking for about 750-800 grains for the finished arrows.

Jer Bear

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making up some Bison arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
Jerry,

When I went to Africa to hunt cape buffalo I took a dozen 600 grain AD Hammerhead arrows that Paul Mattson of Badger Arrows made up for me with 100 grain brass inserts, 70 grains of screw-in brass weights behind the inserts, an aluminum collar between the insert and the front of the shaft, and unibushings with g-nocks at the rear. With the 315 grain Ashby broadheads from Alaska Bowhunting Supply, the total arrow weight was 915 grains. I also took along an identical set of arrows except I left out the extra 70 grain screw-in brass weights, which left me with arrows weighing 530 grains. With the 315 grain Ashby broadheads, total arrow weight for the second set of arrows was 845 grains. My bow was a Super Shrew 60" 68#@29.5".

I think that either arrow setup I used may be a little little heavy for what you want with your bow, although I don't think it would hurt to have the 845 grain arrows (total weight including the Ashby broadheads). If you wanted to, you could replace the 100 grain brass inserts with the standard aluminum inserts that are only about 15 grains which would get the weight down closer to the 760 grain range.

Paul Mattson at Badger Arrows can make up the arrows (he made mine) and is also an ABS dealer, so he can get the ABS broadheads too. I like the front collars and the unibushings with g-nocks, and Paul can install those. If you decide not to use the collars or unibushings you would knock off another 15 grains of weight.

I would rather go with front end weight than weight tubes to get the weight up for reasons that Ed Ashby articulates better than I do. The Hammerheads have more weight and more strength up front than the Grizzly Sticks, although both kinds of shafts are good.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
So this is what I have right now and I think it's plenty....

58# Shrew at my draw length (28")

arrow = back of nock to tip of broadhead - 33.5"
MFX - 340 Classic.

BH - Magnus - 135 grain - I think they are called magnus 2's with an aluminum adapter - 41 grains

75 grain brass insert

I added some 3/16 wood dowels tonight

Total weight right now is 754 grains  

The FOC is 13% with this set up using FULL LENGTH measuring for the calculation (don't go there ok - i know there is a bunch of ways to skin this cat but it's close enough I think)  .

I have ordered some steel adapters which would put her at just over 810 grains, but not sure if I will need them and I have some weight tubes ordered to play with later too. I also picked up some Steel force BH that are like the Ashbey ones at 300 grains to play around with later too, not sure they are the same quality but the weights are about even ...3 RIVERS is out of ashbey's.

I ordered some safaris for later..to play with

Anyway I think she has plenty of weight and still shoots plenty fast so I think we will be ok.

Jer Bear

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Jerry, you should be fine with that setup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©