Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 40lb enough to shot a hog?  (Read 7476 times)

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 40lb enough to shot a hog?
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
I 100% agree with tony. It can be done... I've seen it first hand. Pick your shots carefully and get your broadhead scary sharp (sharper than you knives, Think Razor blade sharpness). Don't go to far into the quartering away shot as it will narrow the shot window and run the risk of perforating the guts. Also, if you use 4 blades go get some 2 blades.

TBRA

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »
Can my wife come take lessons from your wife?    :clapper:    

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
That is one big hog. I'll bet the backstraps weighed 20lbs!
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Offline Wes Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
After successful kills with a 45# longbow and some mixed results with a 60# recurve I learned how much difference it makes if your rig is "tuned" a well cast arrow from a 45# bow will out penetrate an improperly spined one out of a 60#er. I am a huge fan of "Bare shaft" tuning and its effect on penetration on pigs, which are usually at very close range, before a poorly tuned arrow can get all of its grains lined up straight.
Wes
Skybow "Rogue"
A&H ACS CX
Dale Dye "Trails End"
Bear "Tamerlane"

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
My boys both shot hogs at Ray's last may, close range, pass thru and both are getting under #40 lbs at their draw length.  Shot placement is very important!  One bleed like a, well, stuck hog! The other had tissue plug the exit hole...no blood!  Oh No!  but a good loud death crash and good mark by Luke helped us find it in the dark.  60 yards away maybe.  The Bleeder dropped in 15 yds.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Yes, it can be done and was done in the exact right spot. But this rig would not even come close to penetrate a shield. I also see that this is more of a feral hog, compared to a Russian boar. I would not try it with such a light rig on a Russian boar.
Her first shot was probably good enough, because she got the heart. But pigs can go a long way on only one lung and you don't always get a second shot. Don't get me wrong, I am fine with women trying to participate in our lifestyle, but 32#@25" is a little on the very weak side. In southern TX that hog would probably never been found in the thick brush with 6" penetration and the arrow plugging the hole.... So I consider her very lucky, but I would not promote those bow/arrow combination on pigs that size...period.

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Shoot what you can comfortably shoot accurately. I slueced a 185# sow this winter shooting a BW PCH @44# and a Zwickey 200gr. 2 blade. One shot quartering away went 30 yards and it was over.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Might want to leave the big boars alone.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Ask Rod Jenkins. The two hogs he had posted on here a couple weeks ago were huge. I believe he said he shot completely through the one and the other I thought he said he hit the opposite shoulder. 40lb bow.
Good advice Terry on the shot placement!!
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I want to kill a hog so bad I could scream!  But I would have to travel quite a ways, but I am going to just have to do it this year.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Dawnpatrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
I you miss with a light bow you don't stand much of a chance. However, hit "the spot" with a good angle, sharp broadhead, and straight flying arrow and you'll be good to go. I've shot a 45# bow thru a 170 lb sow. Arrow enterend the at last rib and poked out the base of the neck 8 inches. Plenty o punch.
Good luck out there.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
I think 40lbs would be ok for most hogs except the big boars. If you are lucky you will penetrate to the vitals and the arrow will hit on all the brush and trees and cut him up big time. I saw this happen on a 130lb boar with a 40lb bow. The arrows were around 550 grains.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©