3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Harvesting osage??  (Read 366 times)

Offline RedTx

• Trad Bowhunter
Harvesting osage??
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
How do you do it.  I have hundreds of trees to choice from.  What am I looking for? After I harvest what do I do with.  I hear people saw seal it?  Seal it with what, and what do you mean when you say seal it?

Just looking for some helpLike I said I just want to know how.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Harvesting osage??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Find a nice, straight, 8 to 10 inch trunk somewhere around 6 ft long. Make sure you look at the bark before you decide on a tree. The bark of Osage has a criss-cross pattern to it, make sure it doesn't twist around the tree. Cut it down and take some shalac or wood glue and liberaly coat the ends of the trunk. As soon as you can, split it into staves, they will be wedge shaped, around 2-3 inches at the wide part.
After you split your staves, take a draw knife and remove the bark and sapwood, then shalac the back of the stave. If you have time, now would also be a good time to chase a ring, as it's easier than when it dries. If you chase a ring now, be sure to coat the back really, really well.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
If you want to make an osage bow, buy Dean Torges' book "Hunting the Osage Bow".  Everything you need is there.  www.bowyersedge.com
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nugget

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
4runr is right in. Hey Redtx I am an osage nut. If you got too much or don't know what to do with it I would love for ya to send it my way.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
I agree with John, read about it before breaking your back.  I harvested quite a few staves of osage last Saturday for the first time.  But I've read the chapter Traditional Bower's Bible 1 a few times to aclimate myself to what to look for.  There should be a few good bows in there but it is quite a bit of work.

Offline Sidewinder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
I highly recommend Dean Torges book. The section on harvesting is chock full of how to and great practical wisdom. A buddy of mine and I sucessfully harvested a large diameter osage a couple months back and it worked out well. I would say though I don't think it is good forrest stewardship to take a whole tree for 1 or 2 bows so I prefer to be choosy about what I would take. The bark twist is a good indicator. You will probabely look at several hundred tree until you find one thats worthy but its worth it. Like everything else in this hobby patience is a virtue.
His strength is made manifest in my weakness.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©