Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: hogs... Danderous Game???  (Read 14583 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hogs... Danderous Game???
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
I am looking forward to the chance to stalk and stick a sharp arrow in a few of them.  Bears can be dangerous. I chase them every year on the ground so hog should be a fun challenge.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
Mate you will be OK considering the number of people who hunt pigs compared to the number of people who actually get nailed (injured) buy one in percentage terms would be quite low.
Any animal can be dangerous given the right circumstances.  

Hope you have a great time while in OZ.
Where are you going?

Offline Siewho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
In the last few years two of my hunting mates have at least twice being bowled over by NT Boars (Northern Australia). Fortunately only their pride that took some bashing. I have myself came very closed to being attacked by a rather large sow that was guarding her babies.I had to shoot it under 10 yards when it came charging straight at me.
Siewho

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
They may not be considered dangerous but a 300 pounder came close to eating my lunch and no he wasn't injured.

Offline arrowsmack324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
Nasty buggers the lot of em. I've never been opened by one but don't have enough digits to count the close calls.

Offline Gaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
enjoyed the stories.  I live in Thailand and have read stories from "tracks of the intruder" by Gordon Young who hunting here in the 1950s.  He talked about coming across a tribal man that was torn to shreds by one.  Gordon was also "hunted" by a boar that he was tracking and almost got it by him. One thing he said was that they were very smart. I think the true wild boars that were here more commonly before were a different animal then the ones in the woods now (I confirmed they were feral from the eye tooth present behind the tusk of a couple of skulls I have seen).
"... He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver" Is 49:2

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Guar, great to see you on here, always love the insight you bring. How was the wet season?
Lucas Kent

Offline Gaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Hi Lucas,

Its been raining a lot.  Broke my toe (almost ripped it off) playing soccer with the kids barefoot and so its been a while since I've make it out to the woods with my bow but hope to get out soon.

Randy
"... He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver" Is 49:2

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
I know more people who have been attacked by whitetail bucks in the wild than have been attacked by wild pigs in the wild.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
I know a half dozen folks with scars from hogs.....but not one person attacked by a deer.

I can't figure out how there's even an argument over deer vs hogs.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline MajorJim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Forget about the boars - this is the story I want to hear!
  :goldtooth:  

Originally posted by OkKeith:
Even a squirrel is dangerous if you stuff him in your pants.

OkKeith

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by MajorJim:
Forget about the boars - this is the story I want to hear!
   :goldtooth:  

Originally posted by OkKeith:
Even a squirrel is dangerous if you stuff him in your pants.

OkKeith
[/b]
Not if you knock it's teeth out first.  :D  It must have been really cold to stick one of those bushy rats down your pants.

Offline gonzoso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
I think you might want to watch Pig Bomb on Discovery Channel.  Large Boars can be dangerous.  Also look at the thread on PowWow about a ganger getting knocked down.  Lots of people have been hurt by hogs.  In Europe the hunters and woodsmen avoid the Russian Boars whenver they can.

I would say anything over 200 lbs would qualify as dangerous.  They weigh enough and have long enough teeth to take you down.  Not mention if you were alone the pig would be likely to eat you after the get done stomping you into the mud.  

Is it likely that the average pig will attack you?  Not so much, is it possible that a big boar or sow will come after you, yes it is. The bigger they are the meaner they get. A 400lb or bigger male is dangerous no matter how you look at it.  I wouldn't rate them with water buffallo or lions.  I would rate large males as equal with Moose for agressiveness.
Is that the one that culminated with the prediction that we will soon see a superpig?  Their conclusion at the end of the show was that there would be a 6 foot tall, 1,500 pound pig with 5 foot tusks that could run 60 mph.

This was the most inaccurate pile of rubbish I've ever seen on TV.  It was hilarious for its complete lack of any scientific basis and failure to use any kind of realistic or well thought out methods.

My favorite part was when they saw the little russian boar, then had an "expert" draw a behemoth of a 5 foot pig behind a set of eyes which was about 12" off the ground! lol
Samick Sage 50#
1970's Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#

Offline Stick n' String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
My vote? Only if wounded and cornered or harassed by dogs. Like most NA game animals, hogs want nothing to do with humans and do their best to stay well out of your way.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
I've hunted and killed enough hogs to know that they are no more dangerous than my wife when pissed off. You got to be smart enough to know when to leave well enough alone.   :nono:

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Turner:
I've hunted and killed enough hogs to know that they are no more dangerous than my wife when pissed off. You got to be smart enough to know when to leave well enough alone.    :nono:  
hahah  funny and accurate

Offline MajorJim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Turner:
I've hunted and killed enough hogs to know that they are no more dangerous than my wife when pissed off. You got to be smart enough to know when to leave well enough alone.    :nono:  
If yours is anything like mine, that IS dangerous!

Hogs are omivoires.  They start life as food for other species.  But as they grow, they eat carrion, and then can graduate to taking prey.   But at some point, some of them can turn into the biggest SOB in the valley.  If you run into one that has become an apex aminal of its realm, they can be very dangerous.  Especially one that trips from a flight to a fight response.  But we are talking BIG.  

Not saying they are going to hunt humans, but they can become very territorial.  Those that have been aound people seem to keep their healthy fear of man.

Sows with piglets can get an attitude.  We had one charge and butt our truck at night as we rolled up into a field.    

Most of the ones that I have hunted were under 300 pounds, and only one turned to stand his ground following a short chase after being ventilated with 3 lung shots from a .45-70.    

I have never run into anything over about 375 pounds, but they are out there.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
My wife shot a 250lb boar hog thru both lungs and he ran about 10 yards stopped and broke the arrow off with his teeth then turned to charge her but he dropped before she could get another arrow in him. I was 75 yards away and heard the shot and then the hog clacking his teeth, when I got there it was all over.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline hills of texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
I hunt hogs several times a week, archery hunts for clients, and have to say that most uninjured hogs just want to get out of the area when confronted by humans.  An injured hog can be extremly dangerous when being tracked.  The big ones can get plain nasty real fast, if precautions are taken a hog hunt is not all that dangerous.  The blood trailing is the tricky part, best done with a good flashlight and big bore handgun.

Offline bubinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Fun to hunt, can be dangerous in the right situation, but definitly not "Dangerous Game"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©