Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Black Bears in Alaska - worth it?  (Read 5248 times)

Offline fantastixvoyage

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Bears in Alaska - worth it?
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Trying to decide on a hunt for fall 2010 or spring 2011 and was looking at black bear hunting in alaska.  Doing a search on here makes it sound like its not all that great so I'm looking for some more feedback.  

So i'm curious, is it worthwhile to travel to Alaska for black bear or is something in Canada more worthwhile?  I've always wanted to go to Alaska but also want to go where the hunting is good.
Black Widow MAII 60" 60lb@28

Offline fantastixvoyage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Bears in Alaska - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Nobody has been to Alaska for black bear????  I have the chance to go for 50% of full cost or about the same price as a comperable trip in Ontario, etc.  Trying to determine if the extra logistics, etc is worth it...   Any input is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I think it worth it. I've been going to Alaska for the past 4 yrs. We hunt in Prince Willima Sound area, ship out of Wittier. The scenere is beatiful. Last year in that area the bear hunting was not as good as years past. I was skunked this past year. Not sure why. The season was pushed back from Sept 1 to Sept 10. Not sure if thats why but the salmon run was not good at that time. At least that was my experince. But I am going back (God willing) this Sept. You might get more response in the Pow Wow section.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
amicus,

How many have you killed there?

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
i have been to alaska black bear hunting i got on a shrimp boat at wrangle alaska used a skiff to go back and forth unguided , to prince of whales island and a few more ,i harvested a pope and young black bear 350 lbs, fished ,crabbed ,took pics whales, saw deer , wolf,eagles galore ,it was a trip af a lifetime for me and  one i will never forget i also had the chance to go for 1/2 price and it was a decision im glad i made i would be happy to tell you more . chuck.
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline fantastixvoyage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Great this is helpful info!  That is the kind of trip I hope for - not just a bear hunt but an experience!  Has anyone tried a spring season?  That is what this "deal" is for - May or June would need to be the timeframe.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
I went on a May hunt from a boat with Larry Fischer from TBM in 2005 and had the experience of a lifetime, saw over 40 bears, 30 or so Mtn Goats, more eagles then you can imagine, orca and sperm whales, sea otters, moose, etc. Caught halibut and gathered fresh clams as well and was just awesome.  Would definitely recommend it.  Good luck!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline fantastixvoyage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Mark how was the weather in May?  I'd like to time it so I'm there just as the seasons are changing and before the bugs get bad if possible.  I've heard a lot of good things about the boat hunts, mine is just out of a base camp.  not sure where yet, short flight from Anchorage is all i know so far.

Offline fantastixvoyage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I also plan to do spot and stalk but they do offer both.  Looks like i'm going to have to upgrade my camera as well!  Sounds exciting!

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Since you are talking about doing a boat hunt, I'd say yes, it would be worth it.  Hunting black bears in the spring is one of my favorite hunts and May is a great time to visit Alaska.  Happy hunting!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
I went the last week in May about 10 years ago. in the prince William sound.  We saw a lot of bears, I was close on a few, My Dad had a shot.  The biggest problem we had was vegetation. The leaves were just starting to come out and the bears could dissapear one step off the avalanche shoots. That being said, I think I could have managed a bear had I thought about sitting and waiting for one. some bears were predictable and in the same shoots every day at the same time, I was too hung up on stalking that i didn't even think about ambushing them.

I will never forget such an awesome hunt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Charles, I have taken 2 bears. My first one was at 16 yrds. The second one about 25 yrds. My first black bear was my first big game traditional kill. The first 2 yrs we saw 20 to 30 bears a day. Last year was weired not sure what happened but the bears were few and far between. Im sure it had to do with the season being pushed forward to the 10th instead of the 1st. Also not a whole lot of fish. Hopefully this year will be like my first. Alaska is breath taking, I love it.

Good luck.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
spring in the sound can be pretty good, but if you are spot and stalking you have to go early enought that their isnt alot of green on the willows and alders, but not to early as you wont have any green on the slides and no bears,  fall in the sound can be insane if  you are on the fish.  I comercial fished there for a good bit and there were places we would see 20 at a time on the shore,  there also was other places where we would see just 1 every day and they were huge.  if the fish arnt there the bears are on berries so start glassing up on the mountains and youll see them.
last year me and two friends from texas went, I got one spot and stalk within 24hours and they both shot one on bait.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
jr, your right about being on berrys. Every scat we did run into was purple. It was hard to see up those mountains, very thick. I have heard that salmon have their good years and their bad years. The first and second year we had to kick the salmon out of the way to cross the creeks. They were super thick. This last year, same creeks, hardly any fish.

Do you think it had to do with the Black bear season date change, from Sept 1 to Sept 10?

Gilbert

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline fantastixvoyage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
What is everyone finding for prices?  I have an opportunity to go for around $2k, but I don't know much about the outfitter.

Looking online it appears most places are $4500-5500 for 5 days. Plus of course the airfare, etc.  

Also what is the general take on traditional equipment up there?  Is it taken seriously or do they prefer rifle hunters?

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
If you are hunting in the spring there will not be may salmon in the streams. Spring time most generally has the best weather. A short flight from Anchorage depending on the direction you could be in Prince William Sound, or across Cook Inlet in Unit 16? Two entirely different areas. But both of them have quite a few black bears. If I can help you send me a PM.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
amicus, the date change had some to do with it but on good fish years, especialy near the hatchereys like Unakwik, Esther, and southwest the fish are still swimming through september, we usualy quit fishing them at the end of august due to quality but there could be good quantity, and as far as i know there are carcasas on the beaches for at least two months after september. if you didnt see a bunch of black schools of humpys then it was a bad fish year.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
also if there isnt alot of fish i see bears at the verry head of the fjords right up around the glaciers,  this is usualy where the beaches are sandy or loose gravel and i have seen them digging alot, I dont know what for because i dont think clams live it that much silt.

Offline fantastixvoyage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Looks like I'm in for 2011!!!   Anyone hunt with Bearfoot Adventures???  

http://www.bearfootadventures.net/

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 04:43:00 AM »
Had a great hunt this year in May with Homer Ocean Charters.. Got a very nice boar and some nice Halibut too boot.  "Spot and Stalk" on fresh spring grass.. probably saw 40+ bears from the boat [our 60' home base for the hunt]

I was lucky and had 4 boars that were stalkable at different times in the inlet I was concentrating on.

Three others on the  hunt [ all trad guys] had shot opps. But 2 guys had no shot opps at all. The guy who I feel was definately the most experienced hunter on the trip never did get to try and close the deal with a bear.. and definately not from his lack of trying !!!

I had a great time and if $$ situation ever allows a futuer hunt I would do it again in a Heartbeat!!

BTW, my taxidermist called a couple days ago and said my bear measured just shy of 6' but should make 6' after finishing my rug. He said hide was a bit dry [ salted and dry ] when measured, and that tanning would return it to a more realistic lenght.

Gene

Gene    :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement