Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Best Canada Bear Outfitter  (Read 5038 times)

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Canada Bear Outfitter
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
I was wondering with everyone's experiance hunting Bear, who is the best traditional archery outfitter to use.  I want to spring bear in 2011 and am looking to start planning now.

Fedora

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Canada Bear Outfitter
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
kutawaganoutfitters.com close shots, lots of bears,& color phase bears are common.

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
It's kutawagan.com sorry!

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
You should try to get onto Bearquest , can't be beat . If you want an outfitter I recommend Dale McKinnon in Alberta , he's a great guy and you can take 2 bears . If interested you can search for either Dale McKinnon or just McKinnon . If that doesn;t work I have his phone number somewhere . Where ever you go best of luck to you .
Greyfox54

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
If you're looking for a coastal spot and stalk hunt check out Coastal Inlet Adventures. I went with Brad two years ago and it was one of the best hunts I've ever been on. My buddy and I both shot two bears and really had a great time.

http://coastalinletadventures.com/index.php

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
for wilderness black bear, Rob Nye of Camp Grayling is hard to beat.

Expensive- because there are 4 plane changes to get there and an overnight stay in the middle of that- but the fishing is tremendous, the guide and the experience are tremendous- and the bears are, well, freakin' huge.

That's a 7 footer squared...20 1/2 inch skull and was a struggle for four big men using a stretcher to get out of the woods.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:01:00 AM »
I'll recommend a friend of mine, Pat Garrett of Garrett Bros. Outfitting, they have a great area, and I've heard great things about their outfit. It's a family run operation in NE Alberta, out of the way, and lots of bears. They will treat you good.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
A couple of years ago I went to Sas and hunted at Walters wilderness camp.   It is the place that Roger Rathar(sp) was a part of. Bows only camp and we saw lots of bears. Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline bear track

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Fedora, that's a tough one to give you. There are a few of us here in Canada who cater to mainly bowhunters, such as myself, and do a pretty good job. I don't think there is a best outfitter. I've been in the business since 1985 and have tuned my operation to accomidate mostly bowhunters. Being a bowhunter and hiring only EXPERIENCED bowhunters as guides, keeps our guests coming back for more adventures. Best to talk to references and your prospective outfitter with questions that are important to you and how you prefer to hunt.

Ron

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Ron is right...the "best" is a matter of taste and opinion. I know Ron and his Trad. guide Darren and would feel confident referring any hunter to them. That said, the options are very vast...do you want fly in, does fishing matter, budget, color phase, lodging...etc. etc. I'm sure you'll choose the right outfitter as it's obvious you are researching your decision. Best of luck...Ryan

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  Since I have never been bear hunting and I shoot a recurve, I guess I define "best" as good size bears within 20 to 25 yards, good maintained baits without being ridiculed for shooting a stick and string.  Price is always a concern.  

Nice bear Ryan, where did you get that brute?

Offline bear track

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Fedora, Don't ever think you'd be ridiculed for shooting a stick at a camp you choose to go to. If you did get the berries for the stick, then you made the wrong choice. Myself, after guiding 786 guests over the years, I've found bowhunters better prepared for their hunt and MUCH more familiar with thier equipment. Better outdoorsmen for sure.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Fedora,

You might want to click on Manitoba Stickflingers link.  He is starting up a new operation next year in Manitoba and I am betting it is going to be one of "the best"   :thumbsup:

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Living in Canada and knowing a few people I don't need a guide,but if I did I would book with this Manitobastickflinger fella after watching his video and his attitude towards hunting and Trad archery,he rubbed me the right way.A fella I would love to hunt and share a camp with.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
been 20 years but back then Eric Grinnell of Silvertip in Alberta and now his apprentice, Mike Ukranitze.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 05:17:00 AM »
Great thread. I'm paying attention. A Canada bear is on my "bucket list".
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
I know my buddy Cacciatore goes to Walters camp in Sask.and speaks very highly of him.I'll try to get Felix to comment as he has first hand experience.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
I went with Micahel Schneider out of Prince George BC.  You can't bait in BC so it is a bit touhger than then the baited areas.  Michael is a bow hunter but he guides guns also. He runs 90+% success and there are very few bears under 7'taken.  Not that hunting over bait is a piece of cake, but you will "earn" your bear with a spot and stalk.  On average you will get to stalk a bear at least once a day and should get a couple of 30 and under shots during the hunt.  Michael has European trained tracking dogs so if the grizzlies don't get your bear first you are almost guaranteed to recover your bear.

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
If you are hunting bear over bait, the shot distances should be very acceptable.  There is absolutely no reason that your bow will be any less lethal than a fire arm and more satisfying a kill from my point of view.  With a 58# draw I got a full pass through with a Magnus 2 blade head.   It is a very fun and physically easy hunt.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Louie's Outposts
Timber Wolf Air
I have several friends that have hunted with this outfitter. IThat is all I know about them. I have meet Mr Louie and he is a fine christian man as well as his wife. I have never hunted bears but am thinking about tryong it someday soon. Good luck and Happy Holidays.........
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©