Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Soured Corn for hogs?  (Read 7142 times)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Soured Corn for hogs?
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
I'm looking to attract hogs to an area I hunt.
I have corn feeders, any other methods? I've heard of some home-made concoctions.
I know they can destroy a food plot pretty quickly.
Any ideas?Thanks.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Soured Corn for hogs?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Corn works as good if not better than anything else.  You need to make sure you put out enough corn to draw the pigs to your area and hold them there.  Two handfulls of corn coming out once or twice a day from the feeder is not going to have the pigs beating a path to your area.  If you are able to, go out a few days before you hunt and toss several bags around.  That will get the pigs attention and have them coming back looking for more.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Plain corn works good

Plain corn sprinkled with strawberry sno cone syrup works better

Corn mixed with grease from the deep fryer from a mexican or fast foor restaurent works best.

Corn covered in maple syrup chases hogs away.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
I sometimes take 20 pounds of corn and put it in a trash can. Fill with enough water to cover the corn and dump a couple of cheap beers in there. Let it sit covered in the sun for a couple of weeks then take it out to the woods.
Use post hole diggers to make several holes and dump the corn in and cover it back up with 2 or 3 inches of dirt. Almost a garuntee of having pigs on it in 24 hours if they are in the area.
Good luck!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline texas woody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
corn with molasses(stump licker or something like it)will have pigs at your feet by the second day.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
Cut the top of a tree or put a post in the ground.Put a tire over the top and fill with soured corn.They will keep circling the tree pushing the tire for weeks trying to get the corn out.Also you can put a creasault post in the ground .They will come to rub it on a daily bases.Keep the insects off of them.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Cool, thanks for the ideas.

Offline deepshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
I quit souring corn for hogs;  got too smelly for me.  Been mixing raspberry jello with water and pouring it over the corn.  Helps them find it faster and works just as well.
Politically correct is a euphemism for spineless.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
x2 on the jello mix

Offline texas woody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
I had heard Rasberry jello flavoring is a key ingredient to Hog Wild

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
5 gallon bucket of corn with a lttle diesel fuel poured on it really attracts them.  Take the corn and bury it in layers in the ground with dirt on top of it so they have to work for it. Also they love a old log with burnt oil on it or the diesel fuel on it.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
In Texas we only have to find the river bottom..They are there.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Make sure to put some of the water out of the soured corn in a spray bottle. It works great as a cover scent   :laughing:  

The biggest reason to sour corn is so that nothing else will eat it but the hogs, who wants those pesky deer eating all of your corn when it's not deer season?

I've tried the diesel fuel trick and it does work.

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
keep coming.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
The diesel fuel works especially if you are targeting only hogs.  The deer will stay away.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
About 2 weeks ago I put20 pounds of corn in a 5 gallon bucket with 6 old beers, 2 cut up apples, and topped it off with well water.

It smells really RIPE right now! I figure the pigs in our area will hit it within 24 hours when I decide to put it out.

Happy Hunting!

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Dig a 5 gallon bucket sized hole, pour in the corn, throw a couple beers into the corn, cover the whole mess up with 4-5 inches of dirt, sit back and enjoy the fighting......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
What we do in France for attract hogs is ,put some tar on trees( from the bottom to 3 foots hight)(you can find tar in the horses shop)usually on each place use 2 trees but not too close than the place where you feed(around 50  or 100 feets)because this take away doe for few times.For feeding hogs I use corn with some truffe extract on,this is work very well,put the corn directly on land,use 4 pounds of corn,but the most important maybe is the water,choise a place where you can find water,if in you place you dont have water,make a hole,put a stong plastic sheet on the bottom and add water,this keep hogs near this place.Remenber you, that the day where you whant hunting hogs,try to not walk to much on the place,hogs have a very poor view but have a very very good sence of smell.
Regards

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 03:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Piratkey:
What we do in France for attract hogs is ,put some tar on trees( from the bottom to 3 foots hight)(you can find tar in the horses shop)usually on each place use 2 trees but not too close than the place where you feed(around 50  or 100 feets)because this take away doe for few times.For feeding hogs I use corn with some truffe extract on,this is work very well,put the corn directly on land,use 4 pounds of corn,but the most important maybe is the water,choise a place where you can find water,if in you place you dont have water,make a hole,put a stong plastic sheet on the bottom and add water,this keep hogs near this place.Remenber you, that the day where you whant hunting hogs,try to not walk to much on the place,hogs have a very poor view but have a very very good sence of smell.
Regards
I'm not sure that hogs have universally bad eyesight. I think it matters as to the environment. I think in the forest, where they don't have to see great distance, they focus only where they have to... like for truffles.

However, when hunted in the plain or on the ranches here, when they saw you coming from a distance, even great distance of several hundred yards, they were off at a dead run, and so that experience has led me to believe that their eyesight is somewhat driven by the environment they find themselves.

I think that they hear pretty good too, but their nose is every bit as you say...

Much Aloha..  :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©