Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: When hunting bear from the ground how do you secure yourself?  (Read 5028 times)

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Been reading several stories about archers that have shot bears and the distances is from 6-20 yards.

I have never hunted bears but sure wanna do so.

How do you secure yourself?
Do you carry a sidearm?
How aggressive is the black bear?
Is the a big difference in the black bears contra the brownies/grizzly?

:coffee:  

Thanks Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When hunting bear from the ground how do you secure yourself?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
you can not even compare the black bear to it's bigger brothers. While the black bear is equiped to do alot of damage they rarly do. it is a hoot to be close to one on the ground none the less.

http://www.buffsblackwidow.com/oldvideos/bearhuntday33.wmv

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Black bears and grizzlies being compared is like comparing a bobcat to a tiger....both can kill you, but one is more likely to do the most damage and do it quicker....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
I killed my bear this spring from the ground at 14 yards. I'll post the video in the next few weeks. There really isn't much to worry about since you do have a weapon in your hand. I take pepper spray and no other weapons other than my bow. When I have a friend or someone uneasy about bears they are welcome to bring a firearm. You need to feel comfortable and not worried about the hunt or you won't be having fun. One thing I don't like using is manufactured blinds as I find they obstruct your view. I need to see!!

I'd say overall....bring whatever "backup" allows you to hunt securly...and have fun cause it's a blast...Ryan

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
http://www.buffsblackwidow.com/oldvideos/bearhuntday33.wmv  

Thanks for sharing the video!
How far away was the shot?

Thanks   :thumbsup:  

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
The shot was just a little over 20 yards. He was within 6 or 8 yards when he first came in but I was afraid to move so I didn't get the camera turned on until he had moved away a little.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Keep in mind... more folks have been killed or mauled by black bears than by grizzly's.  A very large black bear is bigger than an average grizzly.  It is not exactly bobcats and tigers.

Black bears will, however, likely run away whereas I believe a grizzly will defend itself.
ChuckC

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Go to my attached link and click on "photos"....then scroll down to "Bears...what Bears" and watch the video. I know not all bears are the same but most are just like the bears in the video.

My wife hates when I do that BTW!!!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Keep in mind... more folks have been killed or mauled by black bears than by grizzly's.  A very large black bear is bigger than an average grizzly.  It is not exactly bobcats and tigers.

Black bears will, however, likely run away whereas I believe a grizzly will defend itself.
ChuckC
Yep!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Well I'll be in Idaho in about 3 weeks after them on the ground. Here's some statistics I found.

http://www.blackbearheaven.com/bear-attack-statistics.htm  

Dating back to the early 1900's, out of 55 deaths, 23 were from black bears, 27 from brown bears, and 5 unknown according to my count.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Awesome stuff Jim.   Spread it out to include attacks and not just killings.  When a grizz attacks you, you are in trouble.  

Course we just lost one person and got several injured just this past week or so from a smaller sow grizzly out west.

I didn't notice an account for the death of Bart Schleyer in that list. Wasn't it thought that a grizz was involved ?

ChuckC

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Yeah I noticed it wasn't broken down into non fatal attacks.

Yes I believe that is what is believed with Bart Schleyers death. Quite a man he was.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I live in bear country and have been close to lots of black bears.  They get hunted hard here and run as soon as humans are noticed most of the time.  I think where you hunt the bears will determine what you need to protect yourself. Some areas have more agressive bears than others.

When I am specifically targeting bears, I predator call a lot and carry a big can of bear spray.  At 6 to 20 yards your not going to get your pistol out and the bear killed before it tears you up.  Bear spray on the other hand has made a few over agressive boars that came in looking for food run instantly.   On another note if your predator calling and a sow and cubs shows up.  Stop calling!  Not a fun experience that one.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
cool video !! those two could be Yogi and Boo Boo. They don't seem to mind sharing space with you, especially with the thought of some snacks being prepped right in front of them.

Offline canoeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
On bears in general.  My dad always told me not to worry about bear spray or out running the bear, just take a fried with you that you can out run.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Thanks Motorhead.....that bait is amazing. Almost any time you go there the bears are just hanging out. There was only one spring that the bears seemed moody....had to be careful that year.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Great blood trail, Buff.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
I asked our local DOW officer about carrying a gun while blood trail an arrowed bear.  She said that  " this is American and carrying a gun is constitutionally protected,  but you can not use the gun during bow season to anchor that bear.  If  you shoot it with a gun you better bed bleeding"
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Some of the statistics cited above--although I don't doubt them at all--are misleading. There are far more black bears than grizzlies in North America, and they inhabit areas that contain a lot more people. Therefore, there are many more encounters between black bears and humans that create the possibility of an attack. The really important point is that bears are individuals,and what holds true for the first hundred may not hold true at all for the next one. Unpredictability is a hallmark of bear behavior. I have spent a lot of time up close with members of both species, and they still continue to do things that surprise me. that's what makes them so fascinating. Don

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
ooops..
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©