Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadheads...Again  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Col HJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Broadheads...Again
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
Just some information some might find helpful

I have been a trad shooter of most of my 45 years and began tinkering with wheel bows in the early 90's. And like the compound setups of most others I always shot relatively light arrows with smallish 100 or 125 gr heads seeking high speed and flat trajectory....until now.

Having come to fully appreciate the benefits of high FOC arrows I got some pretty stiff carbons mated to 100 gr brass inserts + 200 grain field points and WOW do they shoot, and this is from a fairly speedy 70ish pound rig. But now is the time to get some suitable broadheads flying straight in time for the archery opener October 1st.

So having a dozen 200 gr Grizzly El Grandes I thought heck why not try...surely they they will wind plane all over the place but it's free to find out. So 200 gr head + 100 gr adapter +15 gr aluminum insert gets me pretty close, and all are very carefully spin tested and tweaked as neccessary before the epoxy dries and...they literally shoot like darts, same vertical point of impact as my field points and maybe a couple or three inches left at 30 yds. So kudos to Grizzly for making a big tough head that will fly at 230 FPS. Hell I even managed to sharpen 3 of them on a saturday.

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadheads...Again
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Sounds like you are ready to go. What did you sharpen them with? I am yet to develop that talent.......Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Col HJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Mostly patience....The recipe that worked for me was 30 degree hole on the Lansky sharpener,coarse/medium stones until there was a bit of an edge then deburr the flat side (with the 20 degree hole)and final sharpen the beveled side with the fine stone, all done with soapy water instead of oil. Then a final touch with a hard ceramic stone by hand.

The accuracy and consistency of the bevel is the achilles heel of the Grizzly heads, of the 3 I sharpened 5 bevels mated very well with the 30 degree hole on my Lansky while 1 matched the 25. And all had a defined square edge, not even approaching sharp. I really came close to giving them away but glad now I didn't, however once these are lost/bent/broke I would have a hard time buying again unless the quality is improved.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
I just resharpened some grizzlies that had missed their mark in Africa.  They are one hell of a tough head but hellish to sharpen and I'm in the same boat about not replacing them.

the chef

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
I have tried several different ways to sharpen the Grizzlies and by far,the best method I have found,is to use them in a KME broadhead sharpener on a DMT 120 or 220 Diasharp,diamond hone to set and straighten out the bevel,which goes very fast-a few minutes.The Diasharp is a 3"X8"X3/8" steel bar,the top surface of which is impregnated with diamond.After the bevel is worked out,I continue with a sreies of different grit wet or dry sandpapers,laid on top of the Diasharp hone.320,400,600,1000,1500,2000.It only takes a few minutes to establish the bevel but after that,it goes very fast.It only takes 6-10 strokes with each grit after that.You can stop at whatever grit you like or continue on and strop on cardboard after 2000 grit.You can see your reflection in this edge.

The flat,steel,Diasharp hone and KME broadhead sharpener,create a perfectly flat,true bevel.Ones that I have measured,come out to 26 degrees.The new Grizzlies go faster than the old.The 120 hone cuts faster and costs more than the 220 but the 220 works very well.I cut the sandpaper sheets in threes and after sharpening a couple dozen heads,I am still using my first piece in each grit.

Best price I have found on the 3"X8",220 grit
 Diasharp hone is at sharpeningsupplies

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Jim that looks impressive but you have too much time on your hands. The paper wheels will do the same thing in 2 minutes, and for way less money.
Tom

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Bastard file until you have a wire edge, Lansky Course, Medium, Fine stones at proper angle.  Paper wheel to mirror finish and razor sharpen.  

I abandoned the grizzlies until they came out with left bevel and a better initial grind on the bevel.  I love the new ones.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline dbishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
[QB] Bastard file until you have a wire edge, Lansky Course, Medium, Fine stones at proper angle.  Paper wheel to mirror finish and razor sharpen.  

I was ready to throw the grizzlies in the trash after trying to get them sharp until I wound up doing what Ragnarok Forge does.  I don't use a Lansky but still basically go through the same steps.  The paper wheels do wonders.  Just be careful not to get them too hot.  I rest my fingers on the backside right where the wheel touches the broadhead.  This way I can feel when the metal becomes warm.  They are like razors now.

Dave

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
love the Grizzlys, Razor Sharp!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I just use a grobet mill bastard file and LIGHT pressure. Scare the hair right off your arm.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Jim,congrats that's very impressive;I am not that good.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 03:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Col HJ:
Mostly patience....
for sure !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
The very first thing you have to do to a grizzly is flatten the "flat" side....because it IS NOT flat.

The new heads apparently eliminate the 'bevel change' phase due to a different grind...but I don't have any of those.

I cannot get any other head as sharp as I can a grizzer.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Two trips ago to Australia after buffalo, I ordered two dozen Grizzlies. They ruined two large Bastard files. The tempering was way off. They were so hard that they literally sliced steel off the files.

So. . . I ordered two dozen more with a request for proper tempering, and received two dozen perfect broadheads. They were exceptionally lethal. Still smilin' about that trip.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Even in the new ones I take a couple strokes on the "flat" side to be sure it si "flat". Then just freehand with a file tile I get the edge sharp, couple few strokes. The paperwheels to polish.
After I flattened the flat - new style 160s - I went straight to the wheels and the wheels wouldn't touch em. That is why I went back and freehand filed them till sharp. Then the wheels did fine. That metal is that hard --

Paperwheels are hard ot beat.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
I bet that setup will go through anything!

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
LOL...you guys must be retired to spend that much time on something that should have been sharp right out of the package or darn close to it.  8^)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Trad-man you've hit on my biggest pet peeve!  A broadhead should be sharp enough to hunt with when we buy them but sadly very few actually are.

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
I agree...myself I like the softer steel.  They may not stay sharp year round but they are easy to sharpen...in a reasonable period of time.  Generally all you have to do to touch them up is run them over a leather strop and your good to go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©