Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadheads...Again  (Read 6419 times)

Offline aussiebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadheads...Again
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
guys i bought some grizzlys from 3 rivers awhile back but they have been out of stock for ages..wheres the best place to purchase some more?

im  using combination of bog file bastard file and finish off with grit and paper wheel supplied by alaskan b/hunt supplies..
thankyou
pat

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Black Widow,
Lost Nation,
Kustom King,

I don't know if they have any in stock but they carry the product line.

Offline aussiebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
tried 3 rivers"dont know when they will get more stock"
tried kustom king "OUT OF STOCK, SORRY WE DON,T KNOW WHEN GRIZZLY WILL MANUFACTURER IF EVER AGAIN"

lost nation, right bevel special order only....

found his website,sent an email see how I go, good to be popular...

thanks for the help,pat...

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
Grizzlies are very easy to sharpen using a 6" grobet milll bastard file.  Trick is very light pressure. Scare the hair right off your arm.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
hmmm...from Aussie's post it looks like they have gone belly up.  How can that be possible?  I'll have to make some calls in the AM for verification...

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I made some calls..can't supply details...sit tight.  I think if everybody is patient you will get what yu are looking for.

Offline aussiebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
i found his website and have sent 2 emails,no replys...anyone got any info as i do like the heads...
cheers
pat

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Pat, I think they produce them when they can as it is noot a full time business . Rumours abound ... but apparently they will be back at some stage .
Maybe we should stock up when they do eh !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline aussiebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 04:36:00 AM »
i reckon,they were a great price from 3 rivers,just have to keep me eye out....tried some eclipse the other day , they were nice..

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
The best thing about the grizzlys is they fly better than field points.  

If you are desperate for some heads and can't find any grizzlys, or are sharpener challenged, the Abowyer brown bear is nearly identical in size and shape and come very sharp.  I can't tell the difference when shooting them from the grizzlys.  I have only killed one smallish whitetail with the Abowyers so I can't really comment of the tuffness of the head compared to the grizzlys, as that wasn't much of a test.  

You may also want to check with KME as they had some presharpened grizzlys a while ago.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I love them El Grandes. I put a few into the rocks of TX last winter as well as some Ashby BHs. The rizzlys drew sparks, but no bends, nicks or damage. The Ashby heads snapped in half or had small nicks chipped off the edge of the blade.

Spoke to a machinist I kknow about it and he explained that SS is much more brittle than carbon steel and add the higher RC rating on the ABS head he was not surprised by my result.

I think the Abowyer and Tuffheads could be good replacements, but at almost 4x the pice! Will have to see how they come out price wise with the next batch as steel has gone up al lot in the last year.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
The tuffheads are SS and higher rockwell too.....
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Sounds like the Ashby heads have been tempered to the point of being brittle...not good.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
On the tuffheads. Keep in mind they are HC (high carbon) 420 SS, same stuff as in higher grade knife blades and sharpen just as well for me and Not the harder than H 440 SS which I believe the Ashby heads are?

I have an antler handle with arrow section that I use to sharpen heads. The Tuffhead and a flat diamond block works pretty good for me. Grizzlys I have to whang away with a file for awhile first.

Some REALLY NOT NICE PERSON walked off with my paper wheel out of the garage...so hand sharpening this year. Eh, still works. Something about the hand/file sharpening fits me and my "old and aint broke" attitude it seems.

Picked up some 190 (five I think, have to relook lol) Grizzlys, right bevel and have 3 160s (left bevel), 2 pretty used.

Nice heads, work great, 190s are the old style and "wrong for me" bevel (right) but I have RW feathers around

Never put the newer 200 grainers up on my priority list and now they arent around.

Grizzlys are definately the more economical so hope they "come back" but I like the Tuffhead just a bit better.

Betting critters wont be able to tell the difference LOL.

File wise, I think for decades Ive used "old cheap files" and better late than never, figured out that is a MISTAKE unless you have lots of patience.

File suggestions requested, yet like heads......some of the prices drive me nuts LOL

Old.....Poor.......bullheaded. Whatta combo!

God Bless
Steve
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Been using Brown Bears for 3 years now....both wings.  Have only shot a couple of animals with them, but the head did all that I wanted.  I sharpen them and Grizzlies with a Tormek and sometimes a paper wheel at home and a modified KME in hunting camp, also one of the little ABS drawthrough sharpeners is always in my pack.  The Tormek is a wonderful machine, but costs about $700 with fixtures, and I wouldn't have it if sharpening weren't my business. It's good though; will get a Grizzly shaving sharp in about 5 minutes.
Tom

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I can vouch for the abowyer brown bears. I killed and recorved 6 deer and 4 hogs with the same broadhead. All out of under 50lb bows. Blood trails are ok but not massive in some cases. that said, I believe the ability to get them soooo sharp is the reason none of the above animals went farther than 50 yds. most only 20+ -. I also shoot two does one morning last year with the samari that abs sells. basically the same head , just a stainless model. kinda pricey but hold an edge  really well.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 03:04:00 AM »
I pray for the come back of the El grandé !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
You guys may want to keep an eye out for the one Red Feather Archery plans to have VPA build.They are talking about a 200 gr,glue on,single bevel version of VPA's new Penetrator 2 blade.1 1/8" wide,they don't know the length yet but I suspect it will be similar to the El Grande in length.One quality head.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
of course , quality and price ...

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
to be interesting an to fill the market hole of the disparition of the Grizzly a new one blade should be as wide as an el grande ... if not in the category quality and expensive the Brown bear AB or the Tuffhead are already available ...  no need of a new new one exept les expensive of course   :readit:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©