Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Barely Above Heavy Bone Threshold Ultra-EFOC Arrow  (Read 11293 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barely Above Heavy Bone Threshold Ultra-EFOC Arrow
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Thanks very much chopx2.I did leave out the HV and that makes a difference.

I don't think it was me that told you about them.I learned about them from a member here also and was wondering if it were you.You can see my memory isn't that good.

The 3's are what I have and my preferred length is 29" so they work well and FOC is over 31 %.

I plan to order some .350's for a different setup.

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
DR Ashby, I have been reading and taking notes on all of your work and I have been very impressed. To late in the year foe me to make big changes to my setups. But I take 6weeks off from shooting after Dec, I plan on putting your results and findings to my benifit. Thanks for all of your work for all of us
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
Fantastic information,  thank you for all your work.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Dr. Ashby.

Thanks for the new data and all your hard work.  I am presently working up some hog and buffallo arrows and will be making sure they are somewhere in the 700 grain weight range with 400+ of that up front.  I am figuring on getting high 20% to low 30% FOC.  I have a trip planned to Oz next year and hope to put the hurting on some big pigs and maybe even a buff or scrub bull while there.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »
That was a good thread of informed opinion Terry, Bit of déjà vécu for ya. Also found Mr Nails formula interesting!
Doc u suggest that the approx 19% FOC set up was outstanding performance for u’r heavy bows . I imagine getting into the higher EFOC range is not as critical as it would be to enhanced performance of lesser weighted bows as the impetus is conducive of upper range draw weight. If/is that’s a fair assumption would u be inclined to repeat the same set up in the field, given the option, rather than apply EFOC? Assuming u were on the game instead of researching.
Is there any chance of getting that Field Data Recording Sheet and Study Protocols over on to TG?
Ta Doc
divecon

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Dr. Ashby,

A question.  I ended up with some very suprising ( to me ) results in the final arrows I ended up with for hunting.  I am shooting 564 grain arrows - Easton Epic 600 spine shafts - with 400 grains up front.  Grizzly El Grande broadhead - 125 grain steel adapter - aluminum insert and aluminum outsert.  I am using a fletch tape - 5 inch and 4 - 3 inch fletch.  The bow is a 68 inch Wes Wallace Royal longbow and pulls 55lbs at my 30.25 inch draw.  The riser is 3/16 short of center cut.   I started with 340 spine shafts, skipped 400 spine, tried 500 spine, and finally ended up at 600 spine arrows to get my arrows and bow tuned perfectly.  The arrows actually ended up lighter than what I wanted.

Would you expect to need that light of a spine for the EFOC to work?  I am thinking the short of center riser cut may be it.  

I am working up some hog and buffallo arrows for a trip to Oz and plan to add another 50 to 100 grains to the 500 spine FMJ's I was working with to get them to tune right with my bow.  This should put them right at 700 grains and around 25% FOC.
Clay Walker

Offline eugeneb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
Dr. Ashby,

Thanks for all the real-world info ... truly insightful and much appreciated.
Eugene

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Clay, the degree of centershot a bow has is a HUGE factor in the dynamic spine required for the arrow to bare shaft tune correctly. I've found much the same results as you show. I have one (far from centershot) 85# bow that tuned with a 40-55 shaft, with 415 grains of point weight.

There are a lot of factors that affect what dynamic spine your bow will require. Each is an individual, but altering the degree of centershot is a major tuning factor that you can use to your advantage when trying to develop EFOC and Ultra-EFOC arrows.

Divecon, I've sent copies of the Field Record Data Sheet and Study Protocols and the Blood Trail Data Sheet to the TG Webmaster today, to see if they can be posted on the library here. Hopefully they will be in a downloadable format. I especially hope that a few folks will complete and submit their own information on the Blood Trail Data Sheet. A HUGE amount of blood trail data will be needed before there will be any statistical significance to the results.

As to my own hunting arrow setup, the first consistantly measurable increase in real-tissue penetration between arrows of otherwise equal dimensions shows up at 19% FOC. All else equal between 2 arrows, as the difference in FOC increases above 19%, penetration increases at what appears to be an ever increasing rate of penetration gain per one % change in FOC. In other words, the penetration gain per 1% FOC increase gets greater the higher the FOC gets.

I had very good field success on big game for years with arrows in the 800 grain range at just over 19% FOC; all from fairly heavy draw weight bows. After getting into the EFOC/Ultra-EFOC testing and seeing the results I immediately changed the setup of my 'serious hunting arrows' to an EFOC setup, and am now moving them into an Ultra-EFOC setup.

Unlike some, I am not content to take the position that the arrow setup that has worked satisfactorily for me for years is 'good enough'. There are so many things that can happen when one is shooting at an animal. Regardless of how good a shot one is, and how hard one tries to make a perfect shot on each animal, under actual hunting conditions it's impossible to predetermine exactly where your arrow is going to impact, and what you MIGHT be asking your arrow to do if you are to successfully recover the animal.  No hunting arrow can ever work 'too good'. Whenever the testing shows me that I can improve on the terminal performance of my hunting arrow in any way I will do so. For hunting I want the very best performing arrow setup I can possibly be using; the one that gives me the highest possible chance of success, regardless of what the hit turns out to be. In bowhunting there is no such thing as overkill.

Ed

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dr. Ed Ashby:
Clay, the degree of centershot a bow has is a HUGE factor in the dynamic spine required for the arrow to bare shaft tune correctly....

In other words, the penetration gain per 1% FOC increase gets greater the higher the FOC gets.
Dr. Ashby, I had a few questions I was hoping you could expound on.

1. On the centershot topic I have experienced the same thing, Have you also experienced any erratic flight "stiff-like" issues if the long 100gr insert gets drawn back on to the riser? I believe i have experienced this, but can't be sure for lack of time to test.

2. Just a comment on the non-liners >19% FOC penetration increase - that is amazing!

3. Regarding the A&A fletching style. Do you start tuning with this set-up or do you use a bigger helical type fletch for initial tuning? I need to tune a new heavier bow and I was thinking of giving the A&A fletching a try.

4. I saw a post regarding using cut reflective wraps for the turbulator. Do you know if they work since they are thicker than the regular wraps? Still looking to find some pin striping tape locally, but have some wraps sitting around that would be a lifetime supply if they work.

5. Broadhead width. I know you get the best penetration on your modified 1" wide grizzlies. Do you attribute that all to the 3:1 mech adv or do you think the narrowness is a factor. I.e. would a 1x3 BH out penetrate a 1.5x4.5 BH (same MA) or what about 7/8 x 2 (less MA) vs 1 x 3? Would bone be different than soft tissues?
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
Rob, thanks for getting those posted. I hope a few folks will take the time to fill out the Blood Trail Data Sheet and submit them. It's going to take a substantial amount of blood trail data to ever be able to come up with statistically meaningful results.

Chop, I’ll try to answer your questions point by point.

1. I’ve not noticed any problem with the longer inserts, when drawn onto the shelf, and a couple of my Ultra-EFOC shafts are at the very minimum length I can possibly use (simply because that’s the length the happened to tune at). I have encountered ‘false stiff spine’ with shafts that had a weak dynamic spine and were excessively long. In those instances the rear of the shaft was hitting the riser and causing the arrow’s flight to show a ‘too stiff’ point of impact. Shortening the shaft cures that, with the point of impact dropping from the ‘false stiff spine’ to showing a ‘weak spine impact’ and then, as the shaft is shortened more, a progressively stiffer dynamic spine until the shaft either tunes correctly or I run out of shaft length to shorten.

2. In the next Study Update there will be a detailed examination of what the data SUGGEST about the amount of penetration gain per percent increase in FOC; as FOC progressively increases.

3. I first bare shaft tune the shaft with a field point of matching weight and assemblage (same weight field point as the broadhead I am planning to use, same type and weight BH taper, if one is used, same insert, same internal footing, if one is used).

In my bare shaft tuning what I’m looking for in the un-fletched shaft is: (a) visually perfect flight (no wiggles, wobbles, flips, flops or flaps); (b) Fast recovery from paradox. I want the bare shaft showing straight impact into a uniform medium target by AT LEAST the time it reaches a distance of 3 yards – and often they will show straight line impact at distances as close as 3 feet – and I want it to maintain that straight impact at all distance back to 40 meters. This needs to be tested under calm wind conditions by shooting at each yardage back to 40 meters. (c) I want the point of impact at 40 meters to show only a very slight weak spine impact; no more than 2 to 3 inches right (for my right hand shooting; it should be left for a ‘lefty’).

Once I have a given EFOC or Ultra-EFOC arrow bare shaft tuned to my satisfaction I then fletch one of the field points up and verify that the fletched shaft shows matching flight against the bare shaft. On EFOC and Ultra-EFOC shaft I use 3 inch, parabolic cut four fletch on this test shaft. On normal/high FOC arrows I will use either 4 inch or 5 inch four fletch for this test shaft, depending on arrow FOC. This fletched, field point tipped shaft should now show perfect flight and impact ‘dead on’, left to right, at 40 meter.

Next I place a couple of the broadheads I will be using onto the shafts and fletch them up and check the flight against the bare shaft. I use the same ‘starting size’ fletching as I used on the fletched field points shaft. If all looks good with the broadhead’s flight I shift over to a ½” high, A&A pattern cut (without the turbulator) and begin to gradually reduce the size (total surface area) of the fletching until the first place I see a TINY AMOUNT OF INSTABILITY in the flight of the broadhead tipped arrow. At that point I add the turbulator, placing it 1/4" in front of the fletching. Almost always the turbulator immediately creates enough increase in air pressure on the fletching to again fully stabilize the broadhead's flight. If it doesn't, with the turbulator consistently maintained at ¼” forward of the fletching, I begin increasing the length of the fletching in 1/8" steps, maintaining the ½” fletching height, until I'm fully satisfied that the flight is stable.

When testing flight stability with the broadheads be sure to shoot a good number of shots, and I like to shoot the broadheads multiple times under various wind conditions (into the wind, with a trailing wind, cross wind and both into and with a quartering wind) until I'm totally satisfied that the fletching will stabilize the broadhead flight in all wind conditions, even when I get a less than clean finger release.

This sounds like a lot of work, but really isn't as bad as it sounds. After you do a few you get a pretty fair idea of what it takes for your individual shooting style and a particular broadhead. It goes fast after that, as you can often ‘shortcut’ the steps, based on previous experience. For example, I now know that, for arrows with an FOC above 25% FOC and a relatively ‘low wind sheer broadhead’, I can start out with 2.5”, four fletched, A&A cut-pattern feathers.

As well as the amount of FOC your arrow has, the amount of fletching (total surface area) you'll need is also dependent on the length of the arrow's rear steering arm. At any given amount of FOC, the longer your arrow’s shaft, or the closer your fletching is to the nock, the less fletching (total surface area) that is required. At any given amount of FOC, the shorter your arrow, or the further forward (in front of the nock) the fletching is placed, the more fletching required.

Here's a link to the TG thread on Fletching and EFOC. There's some information in there that may be of use.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=057257#000000

4. I have not tried the reflective tape but other folks that have say it works as well as the pinstripe tape. Best thing to do is top try it yourself and see how it works for you. I’m just a bit too lazy to cut the tiny, uniform width strips out. The pinstripe tape is just cut to length, peal and stick, securing the cut-end juncture with a thin smear of glue. Most hobby supply stores have the pinstripe tape.

5. As far as penetrating heavy bone, from the Study data the true critical point of broadhead Mechanical Advantage (MA) appears be 2.6, not 3.0. In the 2007 Update, Part 4, you can find a more complete discussion, in the sections titled The Importance of High Broadhead MA and Another Look at Broadhead MA’s Effect. Here’s the link.
 http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2007update4.pdf
But there is one important thing to note; don’t confuse a 3.0 MA broadhead with what some folks term a “3 to 1 ratio” broadhead. With a single-blade broadhead, a “3 to 1 ratio” broadhead – that is, one that has a TOTAL cut width of 1” wide and a cutting-edge length of 3” - WILL have a MA of 3.0; but that’s not how some folks interpret “3 to 1 ratio” when it comes to multi-blade broadheads. Some folks seem to interpret “3 to 1 ratio” to mean that the height of each cutting blade is 1/3 the length of that blade’s cutting edge. For example, some folks will term a three-blade broadhead where each blade had a cut height of ½” with a cutting edge length of 1.5” a “3 to 1 ratio” broadhead; meaning that the cutting edge of that individual blade is three times the height of that individual blade. This gives THAT INDIVIDUAL BLADE a MA of 3.0, but it DOES NOT give the broadhead a MA of 3.0. The overall MA of such a broadhead is only 1.0! That’s because the total cut width of 1.5” equals the 1.5” length of the broadhead’s cutting edge.

It’s important to note that the data shows that ALL structurally intact, ‘above the heavy bone threshold’ arrows having broadheads with an MA above 2.6 penetrated the entrance side ribs in the buffalo testing; regardless of whether the broadhead was of single-bevel or double bevel design. The big difference between single-bevel and double bevel broadheads comes in the average amount of penetration achieved AFTER THE BONE WAS PENETRATED. Every 2.6 MA (and above) single-bevel broadheads showed greater average post-breaching penetration the ANY comparable double-bevel broadhead. Bevel type and design are major factors in breaching heavy bone; using less of the arrow’s ‘useful energy’ during bone breaching and retaining more of the arrow’s force for post-breaching penetration of the underlying tissues. A clear example is shown in the 2007 Update, Part 4, in the section titled Another Look at Single-Bevel vs. Double-Bevel Broadheads. There, the penetration outcomes of arrow setups that were identical, excepting only the broadhead’s type of edge bevel, are compared. Here’s that link:  http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2007update4.pdf

More specific to your question, in ‘all soft tissue hits’ testing the very narrow, very high MA (11/16” wide) Grizzly Extreme out-penetrates both the somewhat lower MA, 1” wide, Modified Grizzly and the still lower MA, production-profile, 190 Grain Grizzly. When tested on heavy bone hits that MA relationship does not produce the same outcome. There the Modified Grizzly out-penetrated both the narrower Grizzly Extreme and the wider-cut 190 grain Grizzly.

Heavy bone penetration becomes a balancing act, especially for the single-bevel broadheads. For penetrating heavy bone with single-bevel broadheads there is definitely a broadhead width factor involved. The wider a broadhead is (at a given length) the lower the broadhead’s MA, and the more arrow force required to penetrate the bone, but with the single-bevel broadheads there are off-setting factors. With single-bevel broadheads, the broadhead’s width affects the length of ‘lever arm’ for the lateral torque created by pressure differential of the bone (or other tissues) on the edge-bevel’s surface. Due to the differing angle of attack, broadhead width also affects the amount of surface area the edge-bevel will have in contact with the bone at any given instant during penetration.

The angle of the edge-bevel that you have applied to the broadhead also affects the amount of edge-bevel surface area in contact with the bone at any given instant during penetration. Thickness and density of the bone are also factors, working inversely to what many would assume. The thicker the bone the more of the bevel’s surface area in contact with the bone at any given instant, which means a greater pressure differential on opposing sides of the single-bevel blade, resulting in greater lateral (rotational) torque. The denser the bone the greater the pressure exerted between the bone and the surface area of the single-bevel’s edge; resulting in a greater rotational pressure differential and greater rotational torque.

These conflicting forces; resistance due to broadhead MA and bone density and thickness vs. the broadhead’s ability to generate sufficient rotational torque to split that given bone; are a delicate balance. I know of no way other than relying on outcome driven results from a huge number of shot into real tissues to determine what broadhead design gives the best results on the greatest number of outcomes. You can read more about this topic at  http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2004update1.pdf  and  http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/single-bevel-broadheads.pdf

Hope that helps,

Ed

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Doc, Thanks for taking so much time to provide such incredibly thorough and the great answers.

You were right about the weak spine. I didn't account for the amount of impact a center cut riser has. I Had to go to stiffer arrows. once i did that they now showed weak at full length and did some trimming of length and got close out to 20yds. Hope to continue the progress tomorrow.

Scarily the whole explanation about the single bevel vs, bone size and density actually makes sense. I've noticed that Large single bevel knives are harder to cut 'straight' with than some smaller steak knives I have of the same set.

i will re-read those studies as I cleary missed some important things in them.

Thank you again for everything!
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks Rob!
That appearance of penetration gain rate once beyond 19% FOC must be a revelation for many, over time.
Bugger! Just when one thinks he’s getting a clue, now a base understanding of something previously not considered.
Although enjoying the experimentation one also appreciates the opportunity to avoid some of the uncertainties
U’r bloods worth bottling Doc.
divecon

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 12:40:00 AM »
Not too sure about bottling my blood, Divecon.   :scared:   I got really sick,   :(   and have some lasting reminders of the encounter   :bigsmyl:  

Ed

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
Which spider and what does it look like?  Headed to Oz next July and would love to avoid that particular species.
Clay Walker

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 04:55:00 AM »
Hery you are, Clay.

http://www.csiro.au/resources/Funnelweb-Spider-Facts.html

and

http://www.duttcom.com/MiniBeasts/funnelweb.html

and

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/772401-overview

and

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/772401-treatment

That should get you started. Google for the Australian Red Back Spider too. Another pretty bad one that's commonly encountered.

Ed

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
What he’s not saying Clay is to get bit by that funnel web, by poking u’r appendages where there not welcome is usually the prerogative of researchers lookin for trouble. A side effect if u will, a bit like spiderman, is once the toxin has run its course and if the victim actually survives they are then semi immune to hypothermia as the blood has an anti freeze quality whereby they can sustain long periods in unusually cold conditions with the barest of clothing.
One thing u will notice when u come to OZ is that everyone leaves the toilet seat up! That ‘s not to upset the women. Women traveling from overseas should be aware that this is a small courtesy we ask, it’s simply that Red Back spiders live under toilet seats if indoors, in the dark. Stats from the 50’s show that when they started putting seats in thunderboxes there was a marked increase of attack.
divecon

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I will bring that up to Tricia on the toilet seats and tell her I am practicing at home so I don't forget on our trip.  

Dr. Ashby, Thanks yet aqain for your help and constant information sharing.  I have found them to be immensely helpful and a thoroughly good read.  

Divecon, so our saying Dr. Ashby can hunt in the winter in a loin cloth and he will be just fine?  No freezing to death?    :biglaugh:
Clay Walker

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by divecon10:
 A side effect if u will, a bit like spiderman, is once the toxin has run its course and if the victim actually survives they are then semi immune to hypothermia as the blood has an anti freeze quality
I ggogled it and IT"S TRUE! It even stated that in rare cases the victim even develops an uncanny ability to scale walls!  :p
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Offline weedwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Amazingly complete study.  One day I might understand it fully.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©