Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Pig Hunting In The Tropics - Your Input? (**Pictures Added**)  (Read 2818 times)

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
Pig Hunting In The Tropics - Your Input? (**Pictures Added**)
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »
Hi Fellas,
I'll be scouting/hunting an area for feral pigs here in the next couple weeks.  My schedule does not allow me to get out much, so I'm looking forward to getting off the beaten path for a day or two.  

The locals here in Fiji hunt pigs using dogs and spears.  I'll be giving it a go with my BW PMA II.  The area I'll be in is suffering from a severe drought so it might be a good opportunity to find pigs concentrated near any available water. (??)  Weather is hot and humid.  Probably 90-100 F. where I'll be.

The bush grows pretty tall and thick on this side of the equator, so chances of me glassing an open hillside is nil.  I'm thinking of stalking down some dry or partially dry creek beds, and checking out an old swamp (if it's still there) that I found a couple years ago.

I've learned about proper shot placement from Terry and others here on tradgang and am looking forward to seeing firsthand just how much a properly stuck pig will bleed....  

I'd like your input on my set-up and, since I'm a rookie at this kind of game, any tips you can give me about hunting feral pigs.  
I'm shooting 50 @ 32.5, 608 gn., and tipped with razor sharp Zwickey Eskimo 2 blades.

Any info on baits, times of day, feeding habits, etc., I would appreciate.

Anyone know for sure if pigs are COLORBLIND?  I've heard both yes and no.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pig Hunting In The Tropics - Your Input? (**Pictures Added**)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »
Your bow set-up should be fine, because your long draw length gives you a huge advantage. Your arrows should be fine, too.

Pigs see and hear just as well as humans do, but their sense of smell is phenomenal.

If you want to catch pigs asleep, creep along those creeks at anytime during the real heat of the day. Late morning to late afternoon should do the trick. As for the swamp, go in while it's early, and pull-up some cover and wait and watch. There may or may not be something there, but something could come in at any time.

Good luck!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 05:07:00 AM »
Hi Ben, thanks for the advice.  I figured on hearing something from you!  I know very little about feral pigs here, and not met any locals that are really into hunting them, so I value the experience from you and others here.  I only wish the population was something like you have on your 'island'.

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Ben's advice on when and where to locate the hogs is spot on.

Heat + high humidity = rust on broadheads, so be sure to check the sharpness frequently and keep them touched up at least daily. I found that spraying the broadheads with INOX worked better than anything else I've tried. INOX is a spray lubricant made in Canada, but is readily available in Australia and NZ; not sure about the availability in Fiji. Not only does INOX do a great job in inhibiting rust on the BH edges, it's an anitcoagulant too! Works much better than things like WD-40 or spray silicone. Vasaline is a coagulant, so not as desirable on your broadheads, especially on a marginal hit.

Have fun!

Ed

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Bula Vinaka Gray Rhino
U say severe drought, One would assume u’r on the western side of Viti unless research has u on Vanua, tho unlikely from now. Best locales would be creek bank pads an gullies toward the foothills from Singatoka back round to Ba. If that’s the area ask some of the village gang if their vegi plots have had any activity, they won’t be far from fresh water now. Best bets around old or current cattle runs where plenty of guava is dropping this time of year. Also goats a little higher up the same area. Wear a wet shirt an hat and cork or wrap u’r handle so u have grip in sweat.
Nice Moce
divecon

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
Ni Sa Bula divecon10, I'm in Suva with lots of rain here on the eastern side of Viti Levu.  Heading west the drought starts just beyond Sigatoka and is affecting that whole side of the island.  Wells, ponds, creeks are all drying up.  I've lived here for 10 years and the media is reporting this as the worst drought since mid 1990's.

Have you hunted Viti Levu?  If so I'd like to hear about it.  I've hunted/scouted some areas just east of Nadi but thus far only come across a few pig tracks.  

Haven't encountered any goats but heard rumors that they are in the mountains near Nadi (?)

You are right about asking villagers if their plantations are getting hit by pigs.  I know they go after tapioca (cassava).  I need to get off the beaten path up that way and do some research in earnest to find a hot hunting spot.  Thanks for the input.
Vinaka,
   -Ryan

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
GreyRhino-Not to hijack your thread, but what's the regs regarding hunting in Fiji, any permit or anything needed?  Sounds like you are getting things lined up pretty well to get after some pigs!

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
slivrslingr, no license or permit required unless a person is using a firearm.  No regulations, or bag limit.  Yeah, I hope to get after some pigs in the near future.  I'm originally from Alaska and I miss the Great Outdoors!

I'll definitely post some pictures if I have any success!  

You sure have some great hunting opportunities in Australia.  Great stuff there!
-Ryan

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 04:44:00 AM »
Eo bula
Noticed the goats in the hills that fall to the west Vanua coast. In W.Viti noted them only in the bigger hills back of Nadi towards Lautoka. Probably worth a look on any high rocky outcrops with surrounding undulating grassy mounds with a western aspect. I think the way was in back behind of the “Lost world” turn off as that’s the closest ridge line running toward the coast on that side, Mt Evans from memory, back towards hinterland of Nausori highlands & Koromba.
I just checked some old charts, unfortunately mine have been finished off by cockroaches but the Hydrographical Dept Chart. Perhaps a DOS  1:50,000 (compiled from admiralty charts and air photographic maps) by Dept Lands, Mines & Survey. Viti Levu is # 4 in the series, I think. They'r fairly good and go from roads down to tracks then minor tracks. I imagine u might be able to get one of the Western district only, an perhaps better scale, check with the DPI (Dept. primary Industry) Suva.

As u know some of these places verge Native title & lease hold. Ol cattle runs will be back from the coast, in beyond sugar flats. It’d be worth a drive out roads as villages are also marked on these charts, Some’ll know the springs or bore holes. Also the stress may have a good season of mangos dropping earlier. (gang is friendly local reference)
It’d be worth an ask round the Nadi or Lautoka Saturday market to see some have come in with produce from those outlying areas early, toward Ndraimba, Nawanggandamu from the former and back toward Mbukuya (the other side of Mt Evans) the latter. Those inland cab/bus fellas must see a bit en route. Sometimes saw pig’s on the tidal mudflats in early quarter light, I assumed they were lookin for salt beyond scavenging.
Have taken up the bow properly since 07 and getting clued in. Hunted on bigger isls, local bush knife and javelin with limited success, it was with difficulty one got range, waiting in the shade has advantages,. (weighted alloy type, it was light and maneuverable. Put resinous cord whipping on the last half of the bush handle and two holds similarly on the javelin, on balance point and rear brace.) It’ll be every bit of 100’F Oct-Dec with humidity, keep the mineral salts up. It’ll be interesting info to catalogue.

OK dou moce mada
divecon

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Divecon10, thanks for the research!  I appreciate your information.  I do not often get over on the Western side of Viti Levu, but it would be worth the trip just to drive some back roads like you said and talk to some locals, then plan a hunt accordingly.

I also hope that you are enjoying some of the great bowhunting opportunities available in Australia!

Vinaka,
-Ryan

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
GR, bit of a change going from Ak to Fiji!  Thanks for the info, it's great you're getting a line on hunting there.  Good luck with getting on some critters, looking forward to some hero shots!

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Last weekend I made a trip around to the western side of our island to check out a couple areas where I've seen pig sign in the past.  I was nice to get out, saw some great scenery, but nary hide nor hair of any feral swine.

First I slowly stalked into this small swamp early in the day to see if any pigs were or had been in the area.  There's been a drought for many months, but the rains are just now starting to return.  The swamp did not hold any water, but it was moist and I could see some tracks from cattle, but no pig sign was to be found.

I slowly made my way along the small creek that drains from the swamp.  The vegetation was very thick, along with the mosquitoes.  I couldn't see more than ten yards in any direction, but I picked my way through watching, listening for pigs, and looking for any sign.

Here's the small creek with a trickle of water moving through....

And some more thick stuff....

Looks like these four trees were planted in a square on purpose...a guy could make a ground blind in there, just add pigs!

I went as far as I could down the creek, but when it got too thick and tangled with vines I backtracked to an old logging road and walked about checking some open areas that had been cleared by the woodcutters.  There used to be another swampy bog down in this little depression, but it had long since dried.  

I walked some roads, glassing and looking for sign, but by that time it was midday and very, very hot.  I did some stump shooting along the way, and where else can a guy 'stump' shoot at fallen mangoes but in Fiji?

I walked back to a Fijian farmer's house a couple miles away and we talked about pigs, hunting, and I answered a lot of questions about my bow.  (He'd never seen one before.)  He told me that, since the drought, they hadn't had many pigs around his place, but last year they tracked and speared one that was 250+ pounds.  

They are out there, and maybe one day I'll connect on one, but this day was not to be the day!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©