Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: PNW Bears  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
PNW Bears
« on: December 17, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
So I've been teaching myself to hunt the last several years.
No success on big game yet.
I cant help but to think I'm doing something wrong.

I was thinking about hiring a guide to hunt bear here in the PNW, spot and stalk.

Do you guys have any input?
I'm on tight budget and I am just looking to get myself a little ahead.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PNW Bears
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Where you at?  For bears I don't think you really need a guide, though it may speed along your learning curve.  Bears are ruled by their stomachs, so find where they eat, you'll find bears.  In the spring they tend to be in open grassy hillsides or lower swampy areas where the grass is starting to grow, they also like young skunk cabbage.  Hike logging roads and look for droppings.  They also like to tear up rotten logs looking for termites and grubs, so glassing clear cuts can be productive.  Another good technique for spring bear is calling using a fawn bleat.  Wait until the fawns start to drop and it can be a very effective way to find bears, just be careful as bears can be sneaky and you might call in a cougar.  Having a partner to watch each others back is a good idea if you're calling.

Fall hunting is much the same, except you'll find them in clear cuts or around berry patches.  If you have fruit orchards nearby look there as well, bears reek havoc on apple trees.

If you want to talk bear hunting, call Ted at Raptor Archery in Hood River.  He loves to bear hunt and does some guided hunts in Idaho.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©