Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: calling wolves?  (Read 4520 times)

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
calling wolves?
« on: April 22, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Headed to alberta end of may for big black bear,  there are a lot of wolves in the area and every year some of the outfitters hunters have an opportunity to kill one.  I would like to increase the odds if possible by calling one in.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  any suggestions would be much appreciated.  I have called in some coyotes with limited success but never tried for the big bad wolf!  Thanks!

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: calling wolves?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »
Hey Matt, good luck with your bear hunt. As far as the wolves go, try doing a calf moose call and even a cow moose call but you have play the wind and be very still and aware because they are crafty preditors. The calf call will help in your bear hunt as well, they prey alot on new calfs. Good luck,...Lloyd

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Well, unfortunately, I have called in Canadian wolves transplanted here in Idaho by using elk calls. They come in quickly to bugles or cow calling. If there are elk in the area of Alberta you will be hunting, the wolves will likely be quite interested in cow calls this near to the time the elk will be dropping their calves.

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Well Rik, it looks like we will be able to put those cow calls to good use this year - Idaho wolf tags are on sale for 2011!
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I would use Coyote Howls or the sounds of Hounds at bay. Wolves will come quickly to remove competition. Probably not as good with archery gear as it would be with guns though. Any distress call will work as it does for Yotes.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 02:22:00 AM »
I really think that some animals are best hunted with guns, wolves being one of them.  They are so difficult to get even with a gun and once called in they have been educated for life.  On the other hand wouldn't it be cool to tell the grandchildren that grampa shot a wolf with his bow?

Offline Bosco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I would howl like a wolf.  I would expect a territorial wolf to come in silent and downwind after 30-45 minutes of calling.  This would mean you would need open country on your downwind side if you hoped for a shot.  Good luck!

Offline barkrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
I have had them dip and dive around me while ground hunting.... The walk back in the dark is.... Well... A test of faith.

Good luck
Family,family,family mmmm... and bows

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
You guys have stones that can call in a bear or wolf on an evening hunt. The thought of that blows my mind, guess I am a weenie:)
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I called one up once using a rabbit distress call. I was on a moose/black bear hunt in Southeast Alaska and saw a big wolf cross a the river about 300 yards from me. I blew the call right after he crossed and was shaking himself off. He came right toward me, but caught my wind at about 75 yards. I never did get a shot at him (I was rifle hunting).

Two days later, that same wolf came up behind my hunting partner, who had been blowing a cow call. I was about 50 yards upwind of my buddy and saw the wolf come to about 40-50 yards from him. It saw him moving around, made a 180, and vanished. My buddy never knew it was around.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
Would love to call in a wolf . Distres calls should work.Bet coyote death screams would work real good. Im starting to drool now.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Coyote howls work well as well as pup distress in the spring.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
I've had them come in to a rabbit in distress call, but no shooting.  As a side note, their hides likely won't look very good at the end of May, they don't here at that time and Alberta is quite aways further south.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Here in Wisconsin you just have to go for a walk in their neighborhood.  They'll be tagging you about 200 yards back, maybe closer depending on the wolf.

Dave

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
To theories:
Calling: Calling to sound like prey or foe

1)Coyote howls and whimpers, wolves are very aggressive against coyotes and these may work.
2.) I have had wolves come to elk calls, deer calls and deer rattling.  I'm sure other typical prey noises might work.

The other theory would be that I would not make any noise, wolves are secretive and inquisitive and might check out a bait or come through an area being undisturbed, but if noises are made that they might associate with man activities or smell, wrong time of year or etc. they might head for the hills.  You might also deter from your bear hunt by calling, etc.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline carpsniperg2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 03:14:00 AM »
If you are looking for some game calls I have a friend that is making some howlers. I use his yote howlers and have had great luck with them. Send me a message if you would like some info. Good luck to you! I hope you get a bear and wolf!
Stalker Custom Rebel 47#
Black widow PSAX 51#
Blacktail Stalker 51#
Zipper Extreme 54#
Browning Fury 60#

Offline 187BOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
good luck! maybe you will get both

Offline borderlander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
I'm from Wisconsin and if I want to find wolves in my area, all I have to do is give a wolf howl at dawn or dusk. Just gotta be careful cuz the wolves are gonna be wondering who's trespassing on their turf! Never had a bad run in, but hearing a whole scad of wolves howl in a circle around me at last light was um' well, interesting.
I shoot a little to the left no matter what I do. except of course for the ones that hit to the right or high. the ones that land in the dirt a foot in front of the target sometimes bug me.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
This thread seems to stay alive, I hunted this time last year, ended up killing a great cinnamon bear.  We did see some smoking fresh wolf tracks while we were there  (as in when we walked in no tracks, walked out an hour later and there was tracks) but never saw a wolf.  The outfitter wants me to start guiding for him now so I may get a chance at a wolf yet.  Thanks everyone for their replies  :thumbsup:

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
:campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©