Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: calling wolves?  (Read 4521 times)

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: calling wolves?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »
Interesting thread

As a guide in wolf country, I had the chance to call many Wolves. sadly never to my bow.
I feel the sound is not as important as setup. here are some tips I've used that have worked for me
- never walk on the path you believe the wolf may come into your call on
- try to setup with your call down wind or cross wind from you.
- Best place to call is a frozen river or stream, setting up on a high bank over looking river or stream
- wolves can come in very slowly. give yourself a hour on each set.
- In late winter, wolves like to sun in midday, look to call sunny hill sides away from where u might have a bait.
- wolves like to return to old kills, look to call near old kill sites
- most wolf kills are on lakes . rivers and ponds
-setup in log jams on frozen rivers. wolves have no fear of open spaces, they will travel the edge of rivers.
- when drifting rivers moose hunting in september, don't be surprised to have wolves answer your moose call. I find the best call to use is a pup in distress when this happens
- wolves travel many miles in a day. In my years of trapping. found wolves to travel my line ever 3 weeks or so
- howling has been my best locater of wolves, pup in distress has called the most wolves for me, depending the time of year.  there no baby moose in winter months. any sound that fits the habitat  of where you are will do

hope this help
paul
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: calling wolves?
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
For those that haven't heard,Montana made some recent changes to their wolf hunting laws.First,electronic callers are now legal.A hunter can now buy up to 3 wolf tags.It used to be if the wolf license was purchased in season,you had to wait 5 days to use.That has been changed to 24 hrs.Also,the non-resident fee has dropped from $350 to $50.You have to look at specific units for dates,but generally,if bow season is in,you can shoot a wolf,with archery gear if you have a valid license.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©