3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead choice, help me decide  (Read 543 times)

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead choice, help me decide
« on: November 29, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Like many of you I have read over Dr. Ashby's reports. I am trying to decide between the Zwickey Delta 2-blade broadhead 135 grain or a Cheetah Single Bevel Broadhead 145 grain .

My Setup:
Damon Howatt Hunter Recurve
60# @ 28
Douglas Fir Arrow weighing about 600 grains with 125 grain heads, 11.75% FOC and left helical fletching.

I will be hunting deer, elk and bear with these heads.
Thanks for the help!

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead choice, help me decide
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
Michael,

I am curious as to why you would read all the good Doc's reports and shoot such a light head?

Consider trying a 160gr STOS or something even heavier.I use 285gr to 385gr up front, it will give you fantastic penetration and you will be amazed how the loaded up front arrows fly.

When hunting elk and bear good penetration will be very important. FOC is not really a consideration when your shooting trad equip and typical trad distances. Just my opinion of course.
hunt it

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
I used the Zwickey Delta until last year when I switched to carbon arrows.  Great head IMO.  The last deer I shot with a wood arrow was with a 160gr STOS.  I needed a little more weight up front to get good flight from that bow.  I really like the STOS head also.  You can sit in your stand and admire the wide cut of the Delta or STOS while you wait on an unsuspecting deer to come by.  Very lethal looking heads.

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Shawn Leonard, Yeah I considered the Snuffer but I am skeptical of their penetration of bone. What have you experienced?

Hunt it, I know I should be using more weight up front. Problem is I bought 2 dozen shafts and they fly good out of my bow at full length. How much will a heavier head affect arrow spine? I might be able to cut the shafts down a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

eagle24, thanks for the input!

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
I'm with Shawn on this one and, I've busted enough bone with'em to convince me. You'll never regret shooting Snuffer heads.  :thumbsup:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
You won`t regret using any of the heads mentioned.

Tinkering with new stuff is always fun.

Personally, like Eagle24 said, I like the look of a big fat two edge on the end of my arrows. Game
that I hit with my Zwickeys rarely ever carry my arrows away. My arrows are always stuck in the ground waiting patiently for me to inspect them after a hit.

I tinker from time to time with three edge heads, but always come back to a big two edge.

I wish you could count on more things in life as you can a tough well made broadhead.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
I have had excellent results with STOS and 160 grain Grizzlies on 600-650 grain cedar arrows (total package)

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
I will only suggest that Dr. Ashby's findings are based on extensive, well documented scientific study. He is not being paid by any company, so I would have trouble believing that his study results are anything less than 100% honest and unbiased.

My vote will always be for two blades, preferably single bevel. The 160 Grizzly is a good choice but, it's not that difficult to  modify the Deltas or Stos or any other two blade to single bevel if you want to.

-Sharps
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Nothing but great results, when ya speak of bone well any head even the best can and will fail, but I have shot and killed enough critters with great results I would not change. I may look for a real good two blade for Moose as their ribs are formidable, but most likely stick with my snuffers from my 54-57# bows. I do not know if the Doc. has released his findings on high FOC, but he basically found an arrow of the same weight traveling the same speed and all else being equal the one with the high FOC will outpenetrate the other. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
The Ace Express 165 gr is another very good wide 2-blade.  The 150 Grizzly ElGrande is interesting, but I like my heads a bit wider for the deer I shoot around here.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Given your two choices, I'd opt for the Zwickey. No question about it.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Zwickey
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Snuffers or woodsmans they are both real good If you are low poundage go with Zwickeys   :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
Zewickey,Magnus, you wont go wrong.Add some wieght to the front.I shoot trad Arrow Dynamics 75grn steel broadhead adapter 125grn 2-blade.That puts 200grns up front.Total arrow weight 600grns.That will work in most bows 45# and up.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »
I used Zwickey's earlier this year with good results, but do so like to tinker like so many others.  Of those using Snuffers what sharpening method do you use, and has anyone used the SnufferKit from 3R or KustomKing?
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 04:47:00 AM »
Silver flame 180 nothing gets as sharp or stays as sharp that I've used.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©