3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood arrows  (Read 553 times)

Offline Napi

• Trad Bowhunter
wood arrows
« on: November 29, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
What is the most durable wood arrow. I've seen laminated birch arrows at web sites, I was thinking they might be a good choice. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Napi

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
Laminated birch seem to be very durable, and heavy too. I haven't tried hickory but I hear they are very tough and make a heavy arrow also. Douglas fir arrows I've used are strong and lighter than either of these. I've read good responses on spruce as a strong, lighter weight arrow, but haven't tried any.

Steve

Offline nugget

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Poplar is very strong. 3 rivers carries them.
Fir is strong but not as forgiving as some.
Cedar is very good. I have been making my own from hardwood dowells from any craft store.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Maple has been the most durable I have made, that is before I discovered rivercane! No man made material can compare to rivercane's toughness. IMO...Terry

Offline ib4elk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
I have made a good many arrows over the years and have tried just about everything I can get my hands on - as long as they were inexpensive.  Therefore I have not tried things like maple or hickory as they were always to expensive but would expect them to be tough.  For me, I like a heavy arrow so have had the best luck with Ash and Birch.

I don't recall if I have used the laminated birch but have tried the split hex shafts (I believe Whispering Wind uses those now) and had a devil of a time keeping them straight - just wouldn't work for me.  The hard woods are a bit tougher to straighten but I found once they are, they stay pretty straight.  

For durability, Ash and Birch have performed best for me.  I have a couple arrows of birch and ash that I have been shooting for years with judo points and they still have not broke.  Cedar arrows, which I won't use any more, broke every time I missed a target.  I guess if I was a better shot I would use more Cedar.  The Chundoo arrows have done well for me as well, but are quite a bit lighter than Ash and Birch.  I believe Chundoo is white pine, or something like that.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Laminated birch are pretty durable, but if you want something stronger shoot purpleheart shafts.  750 grains and like shootin' rerod.  Have yet to break one of those monsters. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Napi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Thanks guy's for the replies. Since I'm not set up to make arrows I have to check out arrow smiths. I've seen ash, hickory and laminated birch but how about others that were mentioned... like purpleheart and rivercane, do you know of anyone who uses those materials?

Napi

Offline ib4elk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
Allegheny Mountain Arrow Woods has basically all these woods listed and custom make arrows as well.  You should be able to google them.

Offline redneckrampage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
im with ozark cherry on the maple, last weekend i missed a gravy shot due to my jacket and sent a maple arra bouncing about 35 yards off 4 or 5 different trees and lodged it into another and the only marrs was a ruffled feather...i got mine from a friend but i talked to aleghany arrow woods and he makes them but said they sell out fast so get ahold of him early if ya want some

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Here is a recent thread that covers most of it.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=052859

Dennis

Offline Napi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
I was at the allegany mountain site, it looks like I can get what I need there. Thanks everyone for all the good advice.

Napi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©