INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broadheads & other collectables  (Read 7287 times)

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads & other collectables
« on: April 30, 2003, 12:48:00 PM »
Hope that many of you will stop by here.  Lets discuss history of archery/bowhunting by means of our equipment.When was a broadhead made? By who? Arrows? Bows?  Lets not get into which BHD is better, but possibly which was really stupid?
Magazines, and catalogs are also collectable and a great source of information from the past.
Traditional means the past, collectable means the past, so lets go there and see how we got to archery today.
I don't have all the answers, however I'm sure that any topic brought up here can get answered!
                      :thumbsup:

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads & other collectables
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »
Hello
 I collect mostly Bear Arch items. Mostly 1963 stuff. I have put togather a entire box of razorheads from this period. the box, tray , instuctions, bleeder blades and tools. Took a couple of years to find the pieces. I like to try and date bear bows that can be a challenge. I have all the 1963 bow models but the type 1 kmag.
Dean

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 03:44:00 PM »
I started to collect broadheads unintentionally. I was teaching bowhunter ed in 1981 when I realized I had about 50 diferent broadheads stached here & there. I put them in a small display case to use in classes. Students then statred to bring me more heads. I 1984 I heard about the American Broadhead Collectors Club and joined. The club had started in 1974 so I was already ten yrs behind. I now have about 1200 broadheads, homemade BHDs, fish points, blunts, field points. I have a few collectable bows and would like more but they tend to be pricy. Now some BHDs are going in that high dollar area also.
Here's a picture of a broadhead I had made for the ABCC commemorative in 1999. This is a tie-on type head. The shaft went up the middle and was tied on through the antler tips. There were only 33 of these heads made and they were handed out to the members who attended the annual meeting.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 03:54:00 PM »
tonto;
I would assume that you used the 1960 version of the Bear Razorhead?
   :)

Offline Carolina Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 04:59:00 PM »
While it is nice to savor the past I sometimes wonder if Papa Bear is rolling in his grave at 1) the price some will pay for some of his old bows and then hang them on the wall. 2) Having seen most of the Bear videos and read all of the books I am pretty sure that Fred Bear treated all of his bows as tools for hunting. I have seen him throw them down, use as wading staffs, and walking sticks, yet some think that they should be hung on the wall and have incense burnt for them. Not! Hopefully they will be shot and used for their purpose hunting. Just my two cents.

Offline galitsadi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 05:54:00 PM »
I just bought a 1951 Bear aluminum laminated
Grizzly about a month ago for a really,really
(did I say really) low price? And it's backed
with rawhide. Pus I was given a cardboard
wallhanger(for lack of a better word) that has
several pamphlets in like new condition to be a
charter member of the FBSC as well as order forms for the big game patches. Anybody know the worth
of these two items? Oh yeah-I also picked up
three Bitzenberger jigs with 3 rw,3 lw,and 3
straight clamps for $10.00 apiece.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 06:46:00 PM »
Carolinia Bob;
I'm glad that some of the collectors are buying up the mint bows. They need to be preserved for our heritage. However I like the old Bear and Wing bows. I just want them in shootable shape. That's what they are meant for ....right? I had a 67 Wing TBird that is one of the best shooting bows ever made. Problem- the grip was made for someone that can hold basketballs! I took the bandsaw and sander to that bow and made a dream shooter out of it.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 07:35:00 PM »
Ron.....I have a small broadhead collection. Nothing much, probably around fifty. Sometimes I just sit and look at them. Need to make a display case. This is cool.  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 08:13:00 PM »
I shoot some of my bows just refinished a 54 grizzly. Took the tips down real fine and she smokes the arrows. My wife shoots a 67 kodiak spec. My youngest a 63 cub soon a 64 grizzly. I shoot a remake of a 59 kodiak only until I can buy a original, I dont shoot many of my 63s because of the problems they had that year. I have a grumley I dont shoot and also a crystalite that I just hang. If they are a solid bow It gets shot.
 Dean

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 08:54:00 PM »
Charlie;
When you make that case do it so it will hold bunches of heads! Mine are 30"x36" for the large (276 heads)and 24"x24"(252 heads).Two cases done in a book style-hinge open.Here's a picture that is a few years old. It has expanded by a 1/3 since then!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 09:12:00 PM »
Very nice Ron! We're gonna have to get together. I love that stuff.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 11:07:00 PM »
I got started a couple of years ago. I started looking to get a set of Bears. That took a little while, but not that long. Next I thought I would do the Ben Pearson's. I bought a bunch of arrows with Deadheads on it, and in a box there was this little Forged head, approx 3:1. I posted something on "The other place" and a guy by the handle of "Raghorn" replied and helped me identify it as a Ben Pearson 788 improved. Life hasn't been the same since. Now the Raghorn tries on a regular basis to keep me on the straight and narrow, but it is a tough job. I still don't have my  Ben Pearson's and probably never will. The list has 48 heads listed for Ben, and several others are known that he sold, but aren't listed. Also the different color Switchblades are not listed seperatly, but I sure would like to get a set. (Just in case anyone has any of the different colored ones for trade)
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline TrapperJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 01:01:00 AM »
Hey Guys Jus kinda gettin in to trad stuff but startin ta gather alot of cool stuff to me. I helped my uncle move an dug aroun in som stuff he was gonna trash an got maybe a treasure maybe not.   I'v got shippin invoices from Bear in Grayling  in '66' how big was Bear then,Think it mite be Fred's handwritin.   He had a archery shop in 66.  I'v got bow registration card on som bow he sold. ya know what dealer cost on a Kodiak Mag was in 66 $38.97 how many ya want.  :D   a super mag 48 was $53.97. He got 5dz Razorheads fer $21.42.  :D   does anybody have a 66 or 67 Catalog like to check ser# to see what some are.  Also found 5 or 6 bear strings in the packs an 2 bear fishin reel 90# strings in new cond. few broadheads and a fred bear record album. I cud get in to collectin this kinda stuff. He had 2 partners in the shop 1 still alive, gonna research this ferther  :D   see if he's still got som stuff.  :D    :D   TJ  :D    :D
These er jus da ramblin's of a Huntahaulic

Offline kodmag1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 07:21:00 AM »
I started out collecting Kodiak Magnums but have turned my attention to Broadheads.  I collect only the glue on heads. Met a lot of very nice people, like The Last Kodiak, and have had the opportunity to pick up some really nice heads.
   I'm pretty new to broadheads (been collecting for about a year and a half) and don't have alot to offer as traders but would love to hear from other collectors or fellow ABCC members.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2003, 09:37:00 PM »
Hi Cris!!!  :bigsmyl:  
Good to see you here!
The Last Kodiak is still trying to butter me up!
Trapper John:
The Fred Bear Record I have seen on ebay a few times but I never watched one to the end to see what they have sold for. It sounds to me like you have a nice start of Bear collectable items. Bear archery was very big in the 60's, that is when they were in Graying Mi. I have one of the wonderful Bear Catalog The Grayling years CD. It covers 1948 -1978. 1965-1969 were the only years the the serial was good for dating. The 1st digit is the year,ie; 6=1966
I really  doubt that invoice was Fred's writing as the company had several hundred employees then. But then again, mmmmm, could be!

Offline TrapperJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2003, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanks Ron  i'll be pesterin ya now on figerin out the yrs on the bow i'v got. thats a cool BH wit yer sig.  Is there any good books on archery fer the collectin part.     :D    :D   TJ  :D    :D

Offline kodmag1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2003, 06:16:00 AM »
Raghorn,
   Didn't get a chance to get a head into the ABCC one-of-a-kind contest but I'm working on a real killer of a design.  When the prototypes are done, I'll send one to you and The Last Kodiak.
Chris  :thumbsup:

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »
Tought you all might enjoy the photo I did for my christmass card last year. Thats a 1963 tamerlane with one ofe the nicest pieces of wood ive seen in a bow.
Dean

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2003, 07:49:00 PM »
Trapper John;
Yes, there are some books on broadhead collecting, which are only available to ABCC members. There are also lots of info on the web about collecting archery items. Drop me an email and I'll fill you in as to the URLs.
  :thumbsup:

Offline TrapperJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2003, 10:21:00 PM »
Tonto  Cool x-mas card, My wife alwayz wants da santa an Whtaildeer thangs  :D  . I jus got that Fred Bear album when i help ma uncle move,It was in a bunch of junk an i smelled treasure  :D  .  Raghorn i'm interested in  the ABCC. I jus  got a  aluminum recurve, has a 2 pc riser with a alen bolt at each end of the limbs. got iddy bitty noc ends that bend at a 45 degree ang. only writin is on da limbs 1 says 50#@28"29"max other says LJ 3-1 2649 its ole the guy said he had it fer 50 yrs an he's 65. i'm a thinkin the 49 is tha year. gonna try ta get toad to post a pic fer me on here. so ya'll can give me a id.  :D    :D   TJ  :D    :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©