INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broadheads & other collectables  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads & other collectables
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2003, 10:39:00 PM »
I have a friend that knows an older gentleman that used to own a sporting goods store.  We went over there today and when he opened his garaged door there was a 3'X 5' Bear Archery Sign hanging on the back wall.  Went into the basement and he showed us box after box of broadheads still in the box and wrapped also had about 20 dozen arrow with braodheads still in the original box with a cellophane cover.  Assorted quivers and armguards and gloves.  Also had Pfluger rods and reels and  Creek chub baits in the box.
\\     I tried to buy some thing s and he just laughed in an eerie kind of way.  No sale.  No way.  Told me he had some bows and strings in the attic that never have been strung but we never made it that far.  He had to go to a Knights of Columbus Meeting.  I will be going back tomorrow!

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »
Tonto;
That is a really neat picture. Be on your guard, soon as Last Kodiak sees that knife set he'll be your friend for life. Or at least try to trade you some mushrooms for it!
Skyhook;
you have found  archery's version of the LOst Dutchman? Keep after the guy.Oh..... let us know will ya?
Trapper John:
Send me the photo and I can post it.
  :thumbsup:

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2003, 12:09:00 PM »
Here's another picture of the "Good Head"
The head on the left wired on through holes in the shaft. This is how I originally designed it. The middle head has a brass tube ferrule. The head on the right has a screw-in ferrule.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »
galitsadi :
That Grizzly is a nice bow to have. As far as the pamphlets, in my opinon they are probably not worth too much. Not everthing made by Bear is collctable. However there maybe a serious Bear collctor out there that may pick them up. The best way to find out is put them in the classifieds or on ebay.
THat is a real, real, good price on the Bitz fletchers. I found out that my older Bitzs wouldn't let me use the Bohning or Mercury nock. The large index fin would not go into the receiver. I took the receiver out and took a 1/2" drill to the hole in the base. Then relaced the receiver.   :thumbsup:

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2003, 06:13:00 PM »
Here is a picture of my Bear broadhead stuff.
56,59,60,64 heads super razor and stainless super razor. a four blade polar, A satalite wich was in bear packaging, some bears packaged for Brave archery,a box of heads with blade package and instructions, a sharpener in the pack, And both types of bleeder packs. Also 4 types of bleeder blades.
Dean  

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2003, 03:14:00 PM »
Kodmag1

I have been lusting after a Roper's Indian, as in your avatar, for some time.  I haven't given up hope of taking one in fair trade, but I don't have anything of comparable scarcity or desireability to lure anyone in yet.  From it's odd design and material it's not a head that I would ever use, but it just exemplifies a collectable broadhead to me.

Now if I could get someone interested in a nice Barber quarter or Morgan dollar in trade . . .
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline kodmag1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2003, 07:39:00 AM »
Stumpkiller,
  The Roper's is the pride of my collection.  I've got plenty of other rare heads but it really stands out in a collection.  If you have a list of heads for trade, e-mail them to me and we'll see what we can work out.

Offline Charly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2003, 06:49:00 PM »
Howdy collectors!!
Here´s a pic from my broadhead collection,I hope it will work,the quality of the pic isn´'t that good but ..

charly
  ;)    

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2003, 08:47:00 PM »
Hi Charly;
Haven't heard from you in awhile.
Your collection is looking really nice!
  :bigsmyl:

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »
I collect old recurves.  I have Bears, Wings, Pearsons, Widows, Staghorns, Howatts, Howards, Groves, & 1 Hit & 1 SABO

I like the '60s bows the best.  I feel that that was the best period of bows

I have 64 in all right now.  

I have an ultra mint '63 Kodiak Dogleg that TONTO would die for.  I also have a '63 Kodiak Magum Type I.  I shot it.  You gessed it, exploded. I had someone put it back together but you can tell it is not right.  I am pretty sure that the '63 Kodiak Magnums Types I & II are the only ones you have to worry about.  The 60" Kodiak is a great shooter.

I just picked up a '64 Kodiak 55#.  It is one that I have been chasing for years, and finally nailed down.  I am waiting to get it in now.  Many collectors feel that it is the best shooting hunting bow that Bear ever made.

I hunt with a '83 Jack Howard Gamemaster Jet CAMO model 56# and shoot 3-D with a 2000 Jack Howard Jet at 57#  Best shooting bows I have ever found.  At least in my opinion.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »
Raghorn, what would be a feasible way to find out the manufacturers of broadheads that were in Wisconsin over the years.  I just started collecting on a VERY limited basis.  I want to collect a representative head (OK more than one if possible) from each Wisconsin manufacturer.  I have put together a list and am keeping my eyes open on ebay, but there has to be a better way.  First, how do I find out who was a broadhead mfr in Wisconsin. Next, is there any other forums, like here, where I can actually pursue these heads.  I really don't like e-bay.
Chuck

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2004, 03:59:00 PM »
Hi Chuck;
You can't always believe the sellers on ebay. There is a Bear Takedown Mag handle on ebay now that the seller claims was built in 1953.
The best avenue is to join the American Broadhead Collectors Club. A large portion of the members are in Wis. I am formerly from Wis. The master list from the club shows the manufacturer,but may not show where it was manufactured. There are many books available through the club that can help with that research. What you are looking for is the main reason a person collects.....it's the chase!
Ron   :wavey:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the steering.  Forgot all about that post.  I have been bouncing between the LW and TG and sometimes talk a lot.  Yeah, I need to slow down a bit too, but when I get involved in something, I tend to jump in with both feet.  This is very addicting.  I am having a great time seeing all the neat heads. I want one of nearly half of them I see, but ...so far...know better.
I think collecting Wisconsin heads is a noble quest.  Hell, at least I'm not collecting Bear bows.  I'd be broke already.
Chuck

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »
Chuck,
How you coming on your WI list? I was thumbing through my "Rarity" Guide by Wade, and he gives the location of Mfg for several of the heads, many from WI. If you haven't been there yet, I can look a little harder and make you a list of what it shows. Good luck on finding an Aldo Leapold.
Ken
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
I can see my next major purchase is gonna have to be one of those guides.  I have some information and about twenty names of manufacturers.  I have been told that some of these heads are quite rare, so I guess I won't be getting a complete collection, but I am having fun so far.  I have found and purchased oh, about a half doxen heads so far.  I missed out on one on e bay a while back because I miscopied the date it ended into mu notebook.  I didn't even bid on it and it only went for less than 10 dollars.  Oh well, next time.  Does that Wade Philips guide also show pictures of these heads ?  I would certainly like to see what they look like.
Chuck

Offline Michael Tracy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »
Howdy All,   :wavey:  
Thanx Ron fur a great topic. That is a great lookin' BH.
I have been a serious trad shooter/collector for about 5 years and have shot all kinds of bows from the time I was a kid in 4-H. I have around 100 bows at last count, a lot of junk but also a few gems. I'm working on a list of the nicer stuff. I was blessed to fly my son and I out to Denton last year where it all started.   :rolleyes:  Broadhead collecting that is. I got to meet Wade Phillips and buy copy #99 of his book. I also bought a guys trade stock for a starter collection. I have had "point lust" sence then. My collection is small but I'm proud of it. The nicest point I got is a 1928 Roy Case Kiska on a footed shaft.   :D  
I got a Q. for you broadhead collectors. I recently got 5 arrows with some 1959 Arrowmate heads on them, the points have never been sharpened, no rust and look like they were never shot. I want to take the heads off the shaft without damaging either. I have used mild heat on the blade with no luck, didn't want to heat the ferrule to much. I have no idea what was used for glue. I thought about just refletching the shafts and hunting with them but the heads are not on the shafts true and they really don't seem to be a sturdy head with the plastic ferrule. How would you guys get the heads off, or should I just cut the shafts long enough for display?
Thanx,
Michael aka broadsword

Offline Waterhole-Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2004, 06:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Tracy:
Howdy All,    :wavey:  
Thanx Ron fur a great topic. That is a great lookin' BH.
I have been a serious trad shooter/collector for about 5 years and have shot all kinds of bows from the time I was a kid in 4-H. I have around 100 bows at last count, a lot of junk but also a few gems. I'm working on a list of the nicer stuff. I was blessed to fly my son and I out to Denton last year where it all started.    :rolleyes:   Broadhead collecting that is. I got to meet Wade Phillips and buy copy #99 of his book. I also bought a guys trade stock for a starter collection. I have had "point lust" sence then. My collection is small but I'm proud of it. The nicest point I got is a 1928 Roy Case Kiska on a footed shaft.    :D    
I got a Q. for you broadhead collectors. I recently got 5 arrows with some 1959 Arrowmate heads on them, the points have never been sharpened, no rust and look like they were never shot. I want to take the heads off the shaft without damaging either. I have used mild heat on the blade with no luck, didn't want to heat the ferrule to much. I have no idea what was used for glue. I thought about just refletching the shafts and hunting with them but the heads are not on the shafts true and they really don't seem to be a sturdy head with the plastic ferrule. How would you guys get the heads off, or should I just cut the shafts long enough for display?
Thanx,
Michael aka broadsword
"I Live With Fear And Danger Every Day But, Occasionally I Leave Her And Go Hunting!"

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »
Michael:
The Arrowmate cannot be heated to remove them because of the nylon ferrule. I am assuming the shafts are wood?
Try gripping the blade in a vise and using a pair of pliers twist the wood shaft. Easy does it as you don't want to deform the head. Sometimes they will let loose. If not then all you can do is cut the shaft.
You could also cut the shaft flush with the back of the ferrule and drill the wood out a bit with out getting into the ferrule and use a small pick(?) to dig out remaining wood.
Have you joined the ABCC?
  :wavey:

Offline Michael Tracy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »
Howdy,   :wavey:
Thanx Ron for the tips on how to get those broadheads off the shafts. Yep they are wood.
I have not yet joined the ABCC but I intend to.
Maybe a silly Q but why did David quote my reply?
Michael aka broadsword

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2004, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm confused also as to why Dave did that. But I bet he will come back with a really great story.
  :confused:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©