INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broadheads & other collectables  (Read 6714 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads & other collectables
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »
Hi guys.  Well I finally acquired a copy of Wade Philip's book.  I had no clue that there were so many heads aroung.  I see that, in spite of how thorough that book is, there are several I saw on ebay recently that aren't even in that book...Maybe too recent, I don't know.  

I have maybe eight Wisconsin manufacturers covered now (at least one head per mfr)..  I see and hear of some of you with a thousand or more heads and I can't hardly believe it.  Makes me feel like I have done nothing so far.  I can see by the book that I won't be getting one example from each mfr as at least one, and probably several are extremely rare.  I was hoping to find a LaHa head as I hunted with him and Roy Case in the late 70's.  That won't happen I guess, but I HAVE gotten several Case heads.  Wow, having that Kiska is pretty cool.  I can't believe some of the prices some people are willing to pay for a broadhead...amazing.  

I still need a representative head from numerous mfr's.  Anybody got any of the following ?

Wm Ayers, Milwaukee
Harold Franks, Milwaukee
Hillcraft, Wauwautosa
Kincannon, Milwaukee
Kurz, Stockholm (WI)
lead head, Milwaukee
Hovarter, ??? WI
H E Metzler, Racine
stanley Shaeffer, Racine
Mowoc Co., Oconomowoc

??? Yell if you have an example head you wish to sell.  Maybe I can afford to "acquire" a few of these.
Chuck

Offline Waterhole-Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2004, 09:01:00 PM »
Dave, was going to reply to that fellow who was trying to get a Arrowmate off of a shaft, when my wife saundered in with a come hither look in her eye and nothing on. I got so excited (don't happen that often) that I hit the enter key.

Anyway that's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

If Ron's method of smashing them in a vice hasn't worked you might try using your wife's hair dryer (assuming you don't have one of your own, like Ron.) Set that rascal on high heat and warm up the head. The heat should persuade the old glue into giving up the fight. Wrap a towel around the head and twist like Chubby Checkers. The little tyke should pop off. The hair dryer does not get hot enough enough to melt those wonderful plastic ferrules. What ever you do do not use any kind of solvent on them. I did that once several years ago and it dissolved the plastic ferrules. Anybody need 12 arrowmate blades?

I've watched this site ever since Ron started it. He has done a great job. For you who have never had the pleasure of meeting Ron in person consider yourselfs lucky! Naw really he's a great guy and a wealth of knowledge. He's been collecting broadheads for about 25 years.

If any of you are serious about collecting broadheads you owe it to youself to join the American Broadhead Collector Club. There are alot of fellows in the club who will bend over backwards in helping you.

Be Safe, Dave
"I Live With Fear And Danger Every Day But, Occasionally I Leave Her And Go Hunting!"

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2004, 09:49:00 PM »
Chuck,
Wade has a very well researched book. He has thousands of hours into it. However he only covered heads to 1971 I believe, and not even all prior to that date are in the book. What I'm getting at is that there are about 2500 heads identified on the ABCC master list. This does not include fish points of which there is another list of hundreds. Field points and blunts- oodles of them and no record whatsoever. I have been collecting since 1981 and have about 850 heads. I'm lazier than some other collectors.
Of the list of heads you want only two of them are fairly common. The rest are going to be hard to get or expensive.
   :wavey:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »
well, that figures.  Since I am not very rich, I guess I'd better pick another state to adopt or I will have a complete collection of about ten heads.   Actually, your statement helps, cause there have been several pretty neat heads available that I did not want to spend the money on, but rather save it for a "Wisconsin" head.

Maybe I should just expand, not worry about it, and collect heads I think are neat and that I like to look at.

Anyway.  this is very addicting....and fun !
Chuck

Offline Michael Tracy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »
Howdy all,    :scared:   The "Pizza cutter" comes to mind. Another head (not in his book) I thought would be interesting to look at is a bomb\\morter style head that shoots spikes\\darts.    :confused:   How the heck does that work? I have only seen them on e-bay. Of my collection I would have to give the "57" Mohawk the award for worst design followed by the Serpentine. I believe the best is a sturdy 3 to 1 straight two blade. Straight for ease of sharpening. The business end of my big game hunting arrows are now tiped with Stos. Being a romantic, my first buck was taken with an old Bear razorhead. It was scary sharp and did the job just fine. The story of that harvest has kind of a sad ending, and is another story.
Sorry to go on and on but I sure love broadhead collecting and trad. archery.    :thumbsup:  
Michael aka broadsword

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »
Michael;
There are many other heads that were a poorer preformer than the Pizza cutter. As far as the Mohawk with the scissor action blades it is better than many of the mechanical heads available today. However if people had been happy with just one broadhead design than we wouldn't have anything to collect!
By the way.....STOS stands for:
Stupid Thing Oughta Stick or:
Slicker Than Owl S&*%
A great head as is but would be a top runner if it were a 4 blade.
Nothing wrong with the Bear head, I just shot my Bull elk this past season with a 1960 Bear.
The "bomb/morter" heads,hmmmm, I'll have get pictures of them and do a post on here about them.
By the way, Dave is the Number One Guy with the ABCC.
  :wavey:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©