INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wing Archery Bows-Original  (Read 11902 times)

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wing Archery Bows-Original
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2003, 01:50:00 PM »
Hi Jim--  
  I had a Big Bunch of computer problems. Now I seem to have everything up and running again. I am sorry for not getting back to you in a short amount of time.
   Brace heigth for a Red Wing Hunter is 7" or so. This is from my own findings and Wings Archerys as well! On your RW-XXXX, That bow is probably a 1965-67? Does it have the green sticker and gold writing on it? Where is the serial number, on the face or side? Any silk screening? If you can check into this, I can give you a better discription of your new bow. Thanks again!
       Bob
Stupid Hurts

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2003, 01:53:00 PM »
Hi Bernard--
  Can you please tell me more on the Swift Wing? Where is the serial number, be exact. Any Silk screening? What kind of wood is in the riser? If you are unsure, please describe to me the best you can. I hope to hear from you soon.
    Thanks       -         Bob
Stupid Hurts

Offline TTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2003, 05:05:00 PM »
Bob,
I should have the bow next week, then I'll can tell you more about it.
About my other Wing bow 73/4" is as low as I can get the brace height with the string I'm using. The string came off an old Martin Mamba 58" that I sold. I have it a 81/4" now from the back of the grip to the string, but it is noisy and slaps me around the wrist.

Jim aka TTS

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2003, 06:47:00 PM »
Bob, I'll try. The ser. no. is on the lower, left side of riser, as you hold it to shoot, just before it starts into fadeout area. The riser is all one piece and forms it's own fadeouts, aprox 27-28" from top to bottom of fadeouts. Medium color wood but hard for me to tell type - very straight grain(s). There are two what I guess you call silk screens. Both are on the back side of limbs (facing shooter) - top limb - just words, "Swift Wing"; bottom limb - Wing's Logo with only word "Wing" (and wing on W)inside the "diamond" shape and words "Archery" & "Company" following two lower edges of "diamond" - outside of it. Hope this helps.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2003, 08:09:00 PM »
Hi Bernard--
  What you have, with out me seeing it, Would be a 1963-65 Swift Wing. Bubinga wood. I am assuming that this is a right hand bow. What gives it away is the sticker with Wing Archery Company on it. They are Labels or Stickers not silk screens. I know that can be very hard to tell once in a while. I hope this will help you out. Thanks again for letting me talk.
               }}}--Bob--------->
Stupid Hurts

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2003, 11:48:00 AM »
Thanks again, Bob. Bubinga eh? Pretty - and a lot of it - haha - they could make a couple of risers out of it these days. As I said, a nice shooter but I guess not too special? I've kept it at home for quite a while and shot it a good bit but will probably wind up selling it too. You have a lot of knowlege about Wings and are a big help. Welcome to the "gang".
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2003, 06:11:00 PM »
TTT
Stupid Hurts

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »
Question for you Bob;
I had a 62" Thunderbird with phonlic riser, no overlays on back of grip,made by Wing?
I just picked up another 62" Thunderbird with no overlay on back of grip, made by Wing, but this one has dyed/impregnated maple riser.
Do you know what are the years? I thought the phonlic was 1967.  :confused:

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2003, 05:51:00 PM »
Hey Ron--
  You are correct on the year of 1967. I'll bet that the riser grip is a big one on the phenolic??? After that year, they,Wing- Head Ski, went to the colored maple. The year was 1968. They stayed with that till the end, (WingWood)!  Thanks Much Ron.
             Bob  aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2003, 03:35:00 AM »
AMF went to the impregnated, colored maple called wingwood.

The Head Ski versions of the Thunderbird have phenolic in the riser and black/white overlays on back of handle and same on limb tips. They also have a slimmer grip.

The original Thunderbirds had no overlays on back of handle, had rosewood/white micarta limb tips and a blockier grip.

Most Wings were meant to be shot at brace heights of 8" or more, because of their very long recurves. Anything under 8" causes too much handshock.

A Red Wing Hunter with a serial number starting in RW is from 1964-early 1966. It will have a bubinga riser, chocalate brown glass and bubinga/maple limb tips.These Red Wing Hunters will have decals for logos, most of which were gold in color and said Wing Archery Houston TX.

The silkscreen logo's started in late 1966/early 1967 when Wing Archery moved to Jacksonville, TX. and was getting ready for Head Ski to take over ownership. There are some of these logos that just say Wing Archery. Then after that they said Wing Archery Div. of Head Ski.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »
Bob, my first bow(1970/71) was a Wing Thunderbird. I now have two Bob Lee Signature series takedowns. I guess you can say I'm a Bob Lee fan. But that is not why I am contacting you. In 1971 I entered a drawing in a local archery shop and won a Wing Slimline International. It's 66", 38#. Serial #SLI-134.It has the Wing emblem, the Wing Arrow rest and the AMF Wing Archery Division of AMF Incorporated identifacation on the
lower limb. It also has the original string. Riser has brown overlay on front outlined in white or cream. Rest of riser is mahogany in color. Limbs are white or cream with brown bow tips on front.It is drilled and tapped for a stabilizer. Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever strung this bow. What can you tell me about it. What is its value? Should I string it and shoot it or just keep it for show? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill Turner

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »
Hi Bill--
  I just looked up your bow. She retailed for $74.95 in '71.  Fistmele is 8"-9". She only came in 68" according to the book. I know that you said yours was a 66". Should you shoot it--well that's kind of up to you. If she was mine, I would! On the other hand, you may want to keep her just in the virgin state that she is in right now. Value ???. I really don't know what a bow like that will bring. Right now its a very soft bow market out there. Maybe some other collecters would be able to tell you more about the value of your bow.  I wish I could be of more help to you. Thanks Bill and if you have any more questions, please feel free!
       Bob   aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2004, 09:22:00 AM »
Thanks Bob. The International is definitely marked 66 inches. From what you said in a earlier thread I gather that this bow was built in Jacksonville, Texas as Wing was preparing to switch over to AMF. The low serial number is what I am going by. Do you have any idea what kind of wood they might have used? It is a beauty.

Also, as I mentioned, my first bow was a Wing Thunderbird. Black and White on back of riser and black and white tips. Earlier thread indicated that this was a bow made by Head. Exactly what problems appeared when Head took over? I know that from 1973 to 1977 my bow was not strung. I went to string it in summer of 1977 and limb exploded during stringing with a bow stringer. I never contacted the company. Just threw it away.
I have often wondered why that bow broke.

Offline mike edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2004, 07:33:00 PM »
hey Bob, i just bought a red wing pro slim line ser#slr-3-4748 45x11. it is a nice bow and also came with the wing quiver. anything you can tell me about the bow would be appreciated. i can't tell how it shoots as it is a rh bow and i am a lefty.thanks,Mike

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2004, 09:51:00 AM »
Hi Mike--
  The Slim Line - Red Wing Pro was first introduced in 1971. She was a slimmer more custom bow than the Red Wing Hunter.  Fistmele was  8"- 9". They used two tropical woods in the riser. All of these bows were very fast shooters. They were only sold by pro-shops. I don't know what you mean by 45x11? Can you please explain to me? I too am a "lefty". Darn the bad luck. Oh wait, I do have one in left hand! If I come up with any more Info. I will let you know.  Thanks
Bob   aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline mike edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »
thanks Wingnuts, i am assuming the 45x it was 2 straight marks was = to 47lbs. 45+2. i haven'y put it on the scales yet to see what it actually draws. the finish on the riser is in pretty bad shape. would it be in best interest as a collectable to leave the finish alone or re-finish the bow.thanks,Mike

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »
Hi Mike--
   I see what you are saying now. On Wing bows, the x's behind the pounds mean a pound for each x. In your case your are probably correct in the pounds could be 47#.
  Finish, now there is a toss up question. I think it all up to the new owner. I had a '62 redone by BowDoc. In my case it was the best thing I could have done. I don't plan on selling her so it was a good thing for me to do. She sure looks good up on the wall. Thanks
     Bob   aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline mike edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »
hey Wingnuts, thanks for the info. i am in the process of refinishing the bow now. i also have an amf "little wing" that my daughter shoots. it is 20@24" and the serial number is 2587. what can you tell me about this bow.thanks,Mike

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »
Hi Mike--
  Those bows were built in the mid '70's. I sold a pile of them.  They were very good bows then and stil are. All Shedua risers. Good bow.  Thanks
         Bob   aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline Gone Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by WingNuts:
[QB]  Hi Bob,

I'm gald to talk to a Wing expert. I have two Red Wing Hunters, both 50#, both lefties. The serial numbers are R-2-14774 and R-2-12685-G. Both have the AMF decal. I was wondering what you could tell me about them. I also saw in the classifieds that someone was looking for a RWH with a maple riser. When did they make them?

Thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©