INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wing Archery Bows-Original  (Read 11900 times)

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wing Archery Bows-Original
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2004, 07:50:00 AM »
Hi Dan--
  You have a couple of good bows there! They are the "later" wing bows with the serial numbers. I would put a date on them about 1973-75 or so. They have Shedua risers and maple cores. I'll bet they are 58". Am I correct?

I am the collecter looking the maple riser Red Wing Hunter bows. They were the first ones made. I think in 1959 or 60 was the first. I have the second--it was a maple stripe one. The heaviest one I have is a 1968 - 52" - 92#. This is a true story on this bow. This bow was used by the Rochester Minnesota Fire Dept.  They use this bow on there meeting nights. Who ever could pull this bow the least amount of times had to buy the coffee. Then my Friend Lamont Granger of the Foot shaft got it and they wanted it to find a new home. I was the lucky one to own it now. She hangs now, proudly, on my bow rack.
  I hope I am not boring anyone. Thanks much and if you have any more questions, please feel free.
        Bob  aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline Gone Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2004, 05:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the info on the two RWH lefties. Yes they are both 58" and they can really spit an arrow.

52", 92#?! Wow, I bet that is a bear to string!

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2004, 09:20:00 AM »
Hi--
  I don't know, I have never tried to string it. I didn't want to pop a ........  Thanks
        Bob
Stupid Hurts

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2004, 01:59:00 AM »
Hi Bob,
A freind of mine just gave me A wing bow this week. It's a wing chaparral 60" long 53lb@ 28,
the number on the riser is CA3838.This bow is mint it even has the original skrew on quiver.What can you tell me about this bow?

Thanks
Darren

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2004, 07:05:00 AM »
Darren,
Keeping a Bow Like that in the cold North could be hazardeous to your health. They are known to explode and fragment in cold weather.
I suggest you send it south for safe keeping.  :bigsmyl:  
Just funnin ya. What a find, congratulations
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »
Hi Darren-
  Thats one bow you may want to hang on to.  She is a Head Ski. Fistmele is 8"-9". She had black phenolic and African Bubinga in the riser. I think she would be about a 1970 or so. You should have two factory inserts in the back side of her for a Wing Quiver. Do you? Please let me know.  Thanks and I hope that I have helped you out.
       Bob  aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2004, 01:36:00 AM »
Hi Bob,
The bow has the inserts on the front of the limbs.
and the bow was bought in 1970, and the price he paid back then was about $160.00 canadian. The name of the man who gave me this bow is James A Carson,he is a well known wildlife artist here.I can go on for hours about him but I don't have the time.But anyways thanks for the information.

Darren  ->>>>-------->

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2004, 04:09:00 PM »
WING NUTS

It sure is a pleasure to see someone here that is not only knowledgeable about the old wings, but is willing to spend the time to share that knowledge.  You sir, are the epitome of what the TRAD GANG should be about.  Knowledgeable traditional archers helping others.  My hat is off to you.  I have a few Wings myself. A Chaparrel, Thunderbird, and 4 Red Wing Hunters.  2 original Wings, One AMF, and one Head ski.  For those of us with less knowledge about the Wings,  How about giving us your take on the transition from Wing to AMF, to Head ski.  I think that is the order.  I always considered the original Wings to be worth more than the AMF and Head Ski models, although I am not saying that the latter are not good bows.  What is your opinion here, and possibly the history of the transition.  Also, other than the inserts for the quiver, are there any differences in the design of the RWH between the brands.  THanks in advance for your answer, and for all you have done here to date.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
Hi To All--
   First off I want to say Thanks for all of the kind words that have been said to me here at the Trad Gang. I am a vendor here and I love to share my knowledge of Wing bows and Cedar arrows. I will try to cover all the dates and try not to get all confused. LOL.  Wing Archery started in Bob Lees home in about 1953 or so. He moved the operation to Houston a few years later. Now collectors call the first bows, Houston Bows, refering to his shop in Houston Texas. In about 1966 the move was made to Jacksonville Texas. In about late 1967 and early 1968 Head Ski took over.
Their rein lasted about 3 years. In late 1970 AMF took charge.  Head Ski came out with the SlimLine of bows. This new SlimLine was just sold thru archery pro-shops. I started selling the full Wing line in 1971. They were the best years of my archery life, barr none. I sure wish I knew how to post pictures here as I could show all of you the differences in the Red Wing Hunters.  The difference in design of the Red Wing Hunters changed thru out the years mainly in the riser and limb tips. The Houston bows had very small tips on the end of the limbs. The early RWH'ers had rounded heals on the bottom of the riser grip. In 1963 they went to more of a pointed/square type of lower grip. In 1965 they went back to the more rounded heal of the grip. Red Wing Hunters were special orders in the 62" length in the years of 61 and 62. Also, you could special order a Red Wing Custom--White Glass. I have two of those here. In 1968 Head Ski came out with the 52" model.  I have a 92# one of those bows.  Yes, I said 9-2#.  Bob Lee signed it for me. I never tried to string that one. Didn't want to pop a "ear drum"!
  I hope that I have covered most of the dates. If anyone has any more questions, please feel free. Thanks much for your time.
  Bob   aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »
Hello,

I have a old Wing Challenger takedown target bow that maybe you could shed some light on for me..

It is marked 64" 26 @ 28 and 66" 25 @ 28..The limbs just slide in and out of brackets and the string tention holds them in   (I guess)..

It has a lamminated riser with a plunger,stabilizer bushing and a  "Accra" sight.

I picked it up at a flea mart thinking my wife could shoot it but she just doesn't seem interested..

I would appreciate any info that you could pass on...

Thanks and Good Arrow Flight  >>>---------->
Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2004, 09:12:00 AM »
Hi--
  Thanks for your interest.  Are there any markings,silkscreens, on the riser or limbs? That bow doesn't ring a bell so I went to my Wing catalogs and I can't seem to find her in there either. Does it say like AMF ot Voit anywhere? This is a bow that could have been built after 1976.  Thanks and I will be waiting for your reply.
 Bob  aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »
Hey Bob,

No silk screens or much of anything..Just

"WING CHALLENGER"

After careful examination I found what I think is a serial number along the edge of the limbs...

I will take a couple pics...

Hmmmmm,  Its still a mystery..

Thanks

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »
Hi To All--
   I have posted a picture of 4 of my 1961-62 Red Wing Hunters and Red Wing Customs, 62"-white glass. I don't know if this will work but I will try it till I study what Ron and told me to do. Thanks and click on the link below, scroll down to the bottom, #861
Bob  aka-WingNuts

http://photos.yahoo.com/bgarrows
Stupid Hurts

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »
A couple pics,

I seem to have a habit of collecting bows that no one wants or have heard of..LOL

Less competition that way I guess

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2004, 09:38:00 PM »
I'm going to take a guess here on your Challenger.
I seem to remember the Wing bows came back on the market in the late 80s early 90s? Bob Lee wasn't involved in any way. Perhaps this is one of them?
Dan Fitzgerald was doing endorsment for them I think even though he only shot compounds.
  :confused:

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2004, 07:49:00 AM »
Hi--
  I think Ron is pretty much correct on this one. I will have to give it a date of 1980 or so. This is the first one that I have seen. After Bob left the company, I kind of lost interest. I wish I could be of more help.  Thanks
          Bob  aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2004, 04:13:00 PM »
Hey,

Thanks all for the help..

Offline jerry womble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »
Wingnut, I have a bow that I was told is a Vantage pro slim line. It has no silk screens. It is 58" 55#@28".
Serial # SLR-3-2563. Do you believe this is what it is?

Thank you, Jerry

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »
Hi Jerry--
  I sent you am Email. Your bow is a Red Wing Pro. The serial numbers tell me so. SLR=Slim Line Red Wing Pro. I have the some bow here in about 200 numbers less in the serial number. Probably built the same seek in Jacksonville, Texas. Vintage--about 1973 or so.  I hope this helps you out. If you have any more quesions, please feel free.  Thanks-my pleasure!
             Bob  aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2004, 04:17:00 PM »
Hi Bob,
I recently bought a RedWing slimline pro. It has the sight option which screws into the name plate on the riser & a short hunting stabilizer, approx. 1"dia X 2" long. I'm looking for another stabilizer of the same type. Do you have any leads on something like this?
Thanks.
Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©