INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hills Hornet?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Hills Hornet?
« on: May 26, 2003, 09:27:00 PM »
I was at an archery swap meet today (dangerous place to bring money, BTW). Sitting on a table was ten very nice old cedar arrows. What caught my eye were the broadheads on six of them. They looked like Bodkins on steroids. They were three blade heads, slightly concave (original factory grinds), and said "Hills Hornet" on the side.

Since the sign on the table said "Free", I took them...after confirming that the guy was actually giving them away.

Any info on these heads? They look like they were probably rather nasty in ther day.

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hills Hornet?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 10:32:00 PM »
They were produced by Ralph Hill from about 1948 to 1954.  Certainly you were fortunate.  They are not rare, but a nice collectable broadhead.  

Congratulations.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 11:23:00 PM »
Not only a good start on a collection, there are 20 different Hill's Hornets, but sharpen them up and go hunt with them. They were a well made head. Several of the 3 blade heads were small, but it appears that you found the big'un!
  :wavey:

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 03:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

I took one off the arrow and checked it out a little better. They weight 125 grains and have the same cutting diameter as my unsharpened 160 Snuffers.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 09:52:00 PM »
Hey Jason, are you gonna hunt with those things or could a guy swap you out of one for his collection.  I have some Hills Hornets, but nothing the size of a Snuffer.  Some guys have all the luck.

Rick Stillman
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©