INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: value of bear mag A riser and limbs  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
value of bear mag A riser and limbs
« on: May 30, 2003, 11:39:00 PM »
I was looking for a shorter bow (less than 60") and saw an old Bear A-riser take down bow (the one with the unique latching system) that was a 56" bow, 50#.  It has a camo paint job on it and the riser itself may have some extra holes tapped in it.

I am not interested in it as a collector piece, just a shorter bow and was interested in this famous bear latching system.

So, what do you guys think would be a reasonable price to pay for it?

Thanks,

Larry
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: value of bear mag A riser and limbs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 07:54:00 AM »
200-400 is a good range, being painted, and drilled will probably bring the riser value down to 100-115. The value of the limbs varies with tip color and condition. Top end white tips 250. Red tips a little less, and Gainesville green tips less yet. The white or red tips should be marked with weights on any of the three risers and will be a set of #1 limbs and indicated as such in the Ser. No. the Gainesville will be 2A's (Same limb I don't know why the change). The Ser. No. of the riser should be stamped on the tang in the upper socket, and will give you a hint as to age. The early one had little plastic “Bear: logos on the belly of the latch. If they broke off it left a little hole. Obviously the presence of the Logo’s adds some value, (maybe 25).  I have never shot this combination with white or red tips, but I had a set of green tips, and they stacked like a Banshee passed a 28" draw. All in all I think the System Fred came up with is the greatest. 3 lengths of limbs, 3 lengths of risers, 3 different grips, a built in adjustable rest, an optional built in sight, a true Takedown, with positive limb attachment, and no tools required, and in the Magnesium the window is true center shot.  Way ahead of his time and never duplicated. If you go for the bow, and need a quiver let me know I have several of the 8 arrows for it.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 11:46:00 AM »
Last Kodiak,

Thanks for the input.  It is a magnesium A-riser, with what I assume are #3 black limbs to make it a 56"/50# bow.  I think the limb tips are white, but I am not sure.  The limbs do not fill the pocket that they fit into so I think the limbs and riser were made at different times/locations.  The extra holes may not really be extra, they may have been part of the manufacturing process.  The riser also has that bent piece of metal that I assume is used to tune the centershot on the riser.

The guy wants $300 for it.  I really wasn't looking for a collectible, but wanted to know if he was charging too much for it or if it was a decent price for the bow.  What do you think?

Thanks again,

Larry

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 03:39:00 PM »
a # 3 limb on an "A" riser would be a 60" bow. A #1 limb on an "A" riser would be a 56" bow. As Last Kodiak stated the limbs are marked on the butt end. The white & red tip will show all three limb combinations:
A-56"-55#
B-60"-52#
C-66"-47#
1-1809 (limb style & serial #)
I'm confused that you aren't sure of the limb tip color-are limbs camo painted also? If so look for a small scratch, you should be able to see the tip color.
If you have a draw over 28" you may want to rethink a bow this short.
If you do get the bow you are in for a nice surprise. They are not a fast bow. But are the most consistent shooting bow I have shot.
The fit of the limbs have varied over the years,I think it may have more to do with the craftsman in the factory than design  changes.
  :thumbsup:

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2003, 04:41:00 PM »
Raghorn,

It was a 56" bow and the limbs were black, so I must have gotten the limb size wrong when I typed it in.  I have the details written down, just not with me here.  I just don't remember the color of the limb tips.  I didn't know that they could be different.  I am new to this type of Bear bow.

I have shot it, and liked the bow.  I agree that it is not the fastest bow around.  My main question was if $300 was a reasonable price for it.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2003, 11:21:00 PM »
Bear did not do a factory camo paint,which means it is a home paint job.  That means is is not in collectable condition. I would say $200-$250.
Just be aware that it is a used bow. Anything can happen. There were some of the early Bear limbs that broke. But if it has been shot this long the limbs are probably good to go.
  :thumbsup:

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »
I personally can't put a value on it, but I wouldn't want it to hunt/shoot with, after a magnesium handle Bear 'exploded' with me. I just don't trust the material.  :eek:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2004, 03:24:00 PM »
Wood duck, Tell me more about your explosion. I have been shooting them for years, and have never heard of a magnesium riser coming apart.(Bears or any others) I have had limbs let go, and I remember Bowdoc going on about shooting new limbs with FF on the old wood risers. What kind of setup did you have and what where the conditions around it? Where did the riser fail? Through the grip?
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 09:40:00 PM »
Woodduck,

Was it the FB T/D with the latches or one of the lower end mag riser Bear bows? I have had a welded piece on a 76'er give way after about 30 years, but that was it.

Snakeeater

BTW,when I went back to look at the bow I first described here it had been sold.  I'll get one one of these days.

LS

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 11:13:00 PM »
Calm yourselves. It was the first Alaskan 'Compound'   :o    that came out in the '70s. Then they came out with another different look/finish Alaskan. Maybe the second had a different composition. For a compound it was a nice, long, good finger shooter.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »
SNAKEEATER

Do you have any idea how much that bow sold for.  The mag risers are not that valuable, but the black limbs with white tips are the most sought after bear limbs there are.  Painted or unpainted,  They are worth an easy $250.00 depending on condition.  Paint can be cleaned off.  Many collectors buy the magnesuim riser bows just to get the limbs.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 11:45:00 PM »
Jack,

I think he was asking $350 for it. I hesitated and I lost.  Oh, well...

If any of you guys who bought an "A" mag riser to get the limbs are out there and want to get rid of it cheap/reasonable, drop me an email.

Offline kodiakt/d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »
The A handle was the least popular in the early 70's.  In talking with Frank Scott (former museum director and personal  friend of Fred Bear), informed me that a few of the risers with heavy limbs did fail.  Bear beefed up the area below the latch seat to accomodate the heavier limbs.  The bows wood and magnesium also failed with the introduction of the long bow limbs.  Bear recalled them.  The value of the A handle in recent years has surpassed the value of the B and C handles.  $150 to $250 for the handle alone is the going rate at this time, depending on condition and color.  I hope this helps.  I have been shooting wood and magnesium takedowns by Bear for over 10 years.  I have also shot many other bows and  always come back to the Bear.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 10:54:00 AM »
LARRY

I agree with Little Kodiaks assemtnet of the value of "A" risers.  However, I have an "A" MAG Riser that is in rough shape, the "fuzzy stuff" on the handle is worn.  If  I remember correctly it is olive green in color.  I will have to check it when I get home.  I bought it to get the limbs.  I will sell it for $100.00 (as is) if you are interested. Keep in mind that I am selling just the riser (no limbs)  Let me know if you are interested.

JACK
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©