INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Super Kodiak  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear Super Kodiak
« on: July 04, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »
I have a few Super Kodiaks in years 1970, '71, and '72. It's been a long time since I've seen catalogs from this time period but my memory tells me that 1973 was the year they made changes to this model such as replacing the coin with a button, using white lettering instead of gold, and using Fascor lams in the limbs. They also changed the wood color this year I believe and glass nock overlays went to red or blue instead of white.

I have what appears to be a '72 model by the looks of wood and tip overlays, yet it has a button, white lettering, and Fascor limbs.
When exactly did the above changes take place and is this particular bow a 1972, 1973, or maybe a transition bow with characteristics of both years?
Tom Mussatto

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Super Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 12:20:00 AM »
Can't answer your question but wanted to say that there's a CD out with all the Bear Catologs for $30-40, I believe.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 08:34:00 AM »
I beleive 73 is the year they went to the raised button and lost the 1953 patent date. 73 & 74 had a red stripe. 75 and 76 a blue stripe with the 76 having wood overlay on the handle back. Im not sure how to tell the 70 to 72s apart. The coin can help brass for 70 and nickle silver for 71& 72.
the 67 was all micarta with 7 as the first # in the serial #. 68 and 69 were micarta with rosewood caps and 8 and nine starting the serial #.
 Fred used up old materials and new stuff was mixed with old in the bins so add in special order bows and you can see its a tuff job to date a bear!
Try this page and email Gene he is a great guy always willing to help.
 http://ejmaslar.tripod.com/fredbear/
Dean

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 09:58:00 PM »
ttt
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Spudley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 12:12:00 PM »
I don't care what year it is Tom, I'll give you $5.00 for it, if you pay the shipping!!!  ;)
Later!

Offline kenscollick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 07:59:00 PM »
Fascor was added in 1969  also a must for even the casual collector or as Floyd Eccleston refered to himself "A saver of archery items"
Is the CD of all of the Bear catalogs 1948 to 1978 every page of every catalog. Lonnie Collins put this together once he had finally gotten every catalog. Do a search for CCR classic Catalog reproductions to find it.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 04:52:00 PM »
Tonto, I also thought '73 was the first year for the button but also thought that was the year they changed the color of the wood. The bow in question (picture) is identical to a 1970 and 1971 except it has white lettering instead of gold, no 1953 patent decal, limb is stamped Fascor, and a button instead of a coin.

Ken, were all Kodiaks with Fascor limbs labeled as such on the limb. I have 2 1970's and a '71 that have no Fascor silk screen on limb.

Tom Mussatto

Offline Waterhole-Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 07:47:00 PM »
Bear switched to the button in late 1972. My guess is your bow was made then. I have the same bow you do but it has a coin not a button. Be safe, Dave
"I Live With Fear And Danger Every Day But, Occasionally I Leave Her And Go Hunting!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©