3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: inner tube bow form  (Read 404 times)

Offline redclay

• Trad Bowhunter
inner tube bow form
« on: November 29, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
i made a bow form for a straight longbow for the stretch clamps or rubber band method. I have heard that when my lams are on the form, i need to put a strip of wood or something on top of the lams so they dont bow down. Do i need the strip? I also heard a piece of plywood or rubber the width of the form to even the pressure can be used. How do you guys set up your bow forms? thank you

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: inner tube bow form
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
I've made a handful of straight longbows using cut inner-tubes and I use strip of hard rubber and and a 1/8" thick strip of aluminum on top of the lams.  I'm by no means an experienced lam-bow builder but the glue lines on all the bows I made were good.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
I would use the rubber and metal strip or else the edges will clamp and the middle with will bow.  I used them both for my string and wedges longbow form on my El Cheapo buildalong and the limbs came out great.  Good luck.

Offline Cabal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
I have made roughly 15 glass lam bows with the inner tubes. I had heard about adding a stip on top like you mention and understand why it would be useful but I have made all 15 without the strip on top and all of the glue lines are quality, no bubbles, and no bowing up in the middle. I may just be getting lucky or am unable to see the defect but they shoot fine, look great, and don't delam. That said, my next projects will incorporate a narrow strip as part of my path toward improved bow constuction. So you might get away with it. Just be sure not to pull the inner tubes too tight or you will starve the glue joint of all of that precious epoxy.

Offline redclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
thanks guys. i appreciate it. How tight should i get the tube?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©