INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Yardsale stuff  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
Yardsale stuff
« on: August 18, 2003, 02:22:00 PM »
I recently spent $20.00 at a yardsale and came home with some stuff.

I picked up an old lemonwood longbow, a herters 45# recurve (great condition, 58 incher), about 3 dozen cedars, an old back quiver, a bow quiver - it's one of the older ones with no cover for the broadheads, just has two arrow grippers with rubber band like attachments that wrap around the bow, 5 herters (I think they are herters) fiberglass shafts marked 50#'s, some misc. stuff, and 7 broadheads that I cannot identify.  Unfortunately I do not have a picture of them.  They are long, narrow, black and have bleeder blades, which look to be fixed.  I can't see any writing on them, but they don't look real hefty or well built by today's standards.  They are glue on broadheads.  Any guesses as to what they may be?  There is some kind of a marking on the bottom of the ferule of each head, but I really can't figure out what it is.

Does anyone have any feedback or info on any of the items I picked up?

I'll be donating the recurve, fiberglass shafts, broadheads, and the bow quiver as a complete set to the banquet/auction for the United Bowhunters of Illinois.  The lemonwood bow I'll keep for the wall, but would love to hunt with it.  It's just too weak though and I fear if I shorten the bow it may break.  I have shot it though.  The cedars are going in my squirrel arrow batch to await their return back into the woods.   :)

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yardsale stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 10:54:00 AM »
I looked the broadheads over closer and the marking that is on them is a box with a crude looking arrow going into one side and coming out the other side I think.  Does that do anything for anyone?

And the fiberglass arrows are Shakespeare, not herters.

Offline kodmag1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 06:52:00 AM »
Jerry,
   The broadheads, from the markings you describe, sound like Arrowmates.  Are they 2,3, or 4 bladed.

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 09:51:00 AM »
Thanks for trying to help me out but if that picture is one of them then no that is not it.  These heads have straight edges, and are long and narrow.  Since the recurve was a herters, does anyone know if herters ever made broadheads?

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 09:52:00 AM »
Kodmag1, they are 4 blade.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 04:01:00 PM »
Herters did make broadheads, several models and they were quite a good head, although a bit difficult to sharpen.
Here's the pic of the Arrowmate.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 05:01:00 PM »
Does the head have a hard plastic ferel with no vents on the blades? Might be  Hilbre. They came in 2 and 4 blade (the 4 blade being removeable bleeder type blades), were long and narrow, with a straight edge. Herter's did make broadheads in 2 and 4 blade, with both straight and convex blades, but I don't recall any long narrow ones from them as you describe. Also, they had vented blades, steel ferels, and did not have removeable bleeder blades.
Tom Mussatto

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 11:15:00 AM »
Raghorn,

That's it.  Thanks for posting the picture.  I have 8 or so of those heads.  What, if anything can you tell me about them?

Thanks to everyone for helping me identify these heads.  I really appreciate it.  I think the bow, glass arrows, these heads, and the bow quiver will make a fine donation to the United Bowhunters of Illinois banquet this year.  

Jerry Gille

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 10:46:00 PM »
Jerry;
The heads had a nylon ferrule that was produced in many different colors-red,blue,yellow, textured black, smooth black, etc. Also were made in 5/16,and 11/32. 2 blade and four blade. There was even a 3 blade model. Blades were spring steel and took a great edge. This will make some guys happy-they have a 3-1 ratio! Flight is great, and they are tougher than you might think.
You have 8 I have about 10,000 of them! You want more?
  :bigsmyl:

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2003, 10:06:00 AM »
No thanks, I don't want anymore.   :)   Unless of course you want to sell them real cheap, say 10 cents each.  Then I'll buy a few thousand and use them on squirrels.   :)   I'm serious about that part by the way.  

But I do sincerely appreciate the information you have provided to me.  I at least now know what to call them when I donate them.  

Thanks again raghorn.  

Jerry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©