INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lets all Brag a little  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets all Brag a little
« on: August 25, 2003, 11:45:00 PM »
Really, this should be a great sight, but honestly it is dying on the vine, so maybe we just need to vent a little smoke and visit.What is your most sought after items? Mine would probably be a Gus Adkin’s BF-4, a Calcoast Rounder and a Terrible Terry.  What is your best collectible Archery what ever? Mine would probably have to be my late 30's Howard Hill long bow and Arrows. No I won’t trade the HH for the TT, but I certainly would like to trade something for something.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets all Brag a little
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 07:46:00 AM »
I mostly collect Bear items from 1963. I have one of each type minus the type 1 kmag. have the types 2 @3. I have been working on getting the catalogs I have all but 2 from 1959 to 1990. Tops of my list would be a nice 1959 kodiak ( for a decent price ) Also a type one 63 kmag and those last two catalogs. I would like to put togather a 63 display to take to the shoots next year.
Dean

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 10:06:00 PM »
LAst year I made a trade for the broadhead I had been wanting for 22 years. A 1938 pat pending Ben Pearson 6x7. To me this head started off the new age of bowhunting.
Now the head I need is the one that every broadhead collector should have..... the Pioneer Game Tamer, I missed out on these when they were fairly common in the 1970's and 80's.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 06:38:00 AM »
Tonto, 63 is definitely a great year for collecting Bears. Some day my collection may be mature enough to focus on such a group. It does seem for some reason 63 stuff follows me home, (Or at least it use to) I have a Grizzly which is very sweet, but it is the type 3 as well with the very shallow dogleg and leather grip. The bow I started hunting with in ‘66 is a type 3 Mag. Most likely if the wife makes me clean the basement, it will probably be the last to leave

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 12:56:00 PM »
TONTO

You would love the bow I picked up on eBAY about 6 months ago.  It is a '63 Kodiak 60" 50# and looks like it came out of the box.  Just a few scrapes on the arrow plate that shows it had been shot.  When I say mint, I mean on a scale of 1-10 it is a 10.5.  In the sun, the bubinga looks irresescent. Not a mark, dent, scratch, etc...  anywhere.  If you will send me an e-mail to [email protected] I will send a picture.  If this site could let you use a browser to send pics I could attache it.  It belonged to a doctor that bought it in 1963, shot it a few times,  and then stored it in his attic.  He passed away recently and his wife put it in an estate sale.  The guy I bought it from gave $20.00 for it.  What a steal!!  

I also have a '63 KMAG TYPE I but it was a display bow from the Greyling museum.  I had holes drilled to mount it to the wall.  Thas have been filled bu they show badly.  I made the mistake of stringing it and pulling it.  You guessed it, CRACK-UP!!  The upper limb separated al lthe way down.  I had it glued back together but the curve on the upper limb looks more like a semi-recurve now.  Not shootable, but pretty riser.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 01:43:00 PM »
Jack
 I sent an email i leave for a 2 week hunt but i would enjoy seeing pics of your 63s.
Dean       63 kodiak

63 type 3 kmag
  63 kodiak special

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 05:14:00 PM »
IM not sure but I think in 1963 bear had some serious defective bows produced check with bear collectors , unless you already know....I had a collectors book on such matters explaining Bear Archery's problems that year ...wish I could find it!,....mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Armand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 05:48:00 PM »
I just purchased my first Red Wing Hunter and i really like the lines that that bow has the guy is sending me a Damon Howatt Coranado never seen one but for the price i told him i would take it its kind of fun buying stuff off ebay cause you never know what your going to get until it arrives and you clean it up bought a bear kodiak hunter al  wrapped up in camo tape wow it was beautiful after hours of stripping tape and glue

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 07:31:00 PM »
still hoping to finish out a couple magazine collections......photos would be nice, so would some more older books....right now though no time to hunt them down.  

My best collection would be an almost complete set of IA mag in mint shape.  Another would be a book also in mint shape, Arab Archery.  Heck all of the older books I have picked up are great, hard to put any before the other but I do have my favorites!

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 08:22:00 PM »
yes the 63 bears had some problems, Mostly it was the kodiak magnums then the kodiaks and a few of the grizzly. thats why the designs changed a few times during the year. thus the type one vs type two grizzly and ect. Ill post pics of some when I return from Africa.
Later Dean

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 10:52:00 PM »
I've always wanted a late model Kodiak Special (long since I pull 29") that I could shoot. I have a Fred Bear stand-up cutout that came from the Museum and a leather back quiver from Michigan(running bear) but no bow. Wouldn't it be cool 'dream of mine' to have a Kodiak Special with each different 'coin'?  :bigsmyl:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Sparta-T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 11:53:00 AM »
I've been shooting Black Widow bows for 20 years and had the foresight to keep my original Silver Anniversary MA model, which I used to kill my first whitetail buck.  One particular friend is also a Widow shooter and told me that his hunting buddy found an original Wilson brothers recurve at a garage sale for $25...........  I got a chance to see it and offered the guy several times what he paid, but he wanted to keep it.

A few weeks ago, a fellow posted on the LW asking info about an old BW recurve that he happened upon.  I immediately e-mailed him and began negotiations, which culminated in a trade for a longbow I wasn't shooting.  It arrived last Monday, the day before the last surviving Wilson brother (Bob) passed away.  Talk about timing........

While very early into my bow "collecting", it is a 1960 target bow in fine shape and is very pleasing to me.  I was born the year BW began (1957) and hope to find one of those in the future.  

In addition, I would like to get a representative of many of the bow brands of that era.  My father-in-law bowhunted for a short time in the late 1950's and bought a Bear Alaskan with the double shelf that I was given a few years ago for Christmas.  So now I'm up to two vintage bows and counting.................    :thumbsup:
Doubt is a traitor that makes us lose what we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
                      Shakespeare

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2003, 03:49:00 PM »
SPARTA-T

Be careful about what you wish for.  I collect recurve bows.  I now have 63.  I consider myself to be a RECURVE-A-HOLIC.  Recurve collecting can be hazardous to your financial health.  It is very addicting, but rewarding!

I have three Widows
A Diamond jubalee that I got at a lost freight company for $50.00, a '96 SAIII from a Pawn Shop for $165.00 with and extra set of limbs, and an X-99 that I got from eBAY, Happens it was built for a deceased friend in 1968.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2003, 05:39:00 PM »
Hi All--
  I think mine would be a couple of '61-'62 Red Wing Customs. These bows were first introduced for womens target shooting in the 62". They had white glass on the front and back. I have two. Anyone out there will to do some trading for a RWC bow? I build cedar arrows and am will to talk trade.  Thanks
     Bob    aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline Mark Detmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »
I am by no means a collector, nor have much  :(   But love my 69 Super K, refinished by Don Worden out west.  I also have a Quiver made by Chris Shepard, that is a work of art!  And a bunch of arrows made by friends.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2003, 11:26:00 PM »
Watch out Mark, owning a Bowdoc Super K could be infectious. If you are not careful you'll start listening to it when it whispers. "I am lonely"  :)

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2003, 05:26:00 PM »
I love shakespeare bow's!!  Grew up shooting Bear's but got wife one off of ebay and love it. Looking for other shakespeare's or more information on them.  Best find would be and original edition of "hunting the hard way" by the great Howard Hill, for 50 dollars at a old book store.  I love to collect and read everything dealing with archery.  :knothead:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2003, 11:23:00 AM »
Wow, Last night while I was out running errands. The wife of an old friend stopped by. The old friend's health isn't what it use to be, but we have shared many good times and simlar interests. He said he wanted me to have these things, which she left. A little kids "Red Bear" and unfinished Osage Plains indian bow,which he used to make, and old Shakespear and of all things, a "Pristene" 1963 Kodiak Mag Type 1 I Beam. It still has the original arrows rug and plate, probably the string. I am a bit over whelmed this morning.

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2003, 02:04:00 PM »
can you send me a picture of the 63 kmag some time. I collect 1963 bears I have 2 different type Kmags I think  types 2 and 3 only need the type one to have all the 63s but I dont know how to tell a type 1 from a type 2 kmag or even for sure how many types there was of the different models.
Dean
 Ps i have 2 different type grizzly, 2 different type kmags. one each of the other models.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2003, 09:34:00 PM »
I previously posted on this thread that I was looking for a Gametamer.........someone came through for me. After many emails we got a great trade worked out and I now have one.
Is this a great place or what?
Thanks!!!!!!
  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©