INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lets all Brag a little  (Read 3496 times)

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets all Brag a little
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »
LAST KODIAK

I know you are smart enough to hang onto that  '63 Type I Kodiak Magnum.  However, if your good friend left it to you, don't even contemplate every getting rid of it.  When the day comes that he finally passes, you will cherish that bow.  I lost my absolute BEST FRIEND of 35 years in April of last year.  I now have his 1966 Pearson Palomino in my collection.  That bow means more to me than any other I own, I I got some nice ones.  You will feel blessed that you have his KODMAG to remember him by.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2003, 07:29:00 AM »
papalapin,
That's pretty much my thoughts.
When I think of it I have other bows that have come from him. Probably the  most cherished is the little Ash, Plains Indian bow with sinue string, and a dogwood arrow with hawk fletch and a barrel band head. In his younger days he was a true Artisan, Hand making some of this countries finest muzzleloaders. He could make anything and it was always beautiful. About 10 years ago he started making the Plains Indian bows. He gave me one of his "mistakes" What a sweet little bow.
On the 63, I am just contemplating if I should seal the one stress crack, or leave it as is??
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline 7 Rivers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2003, 09:33:00 AM »
I'm not really collector but I have a few bows and accessories. My pride and joy is a Bear static made by Grumley.
"It doesn't matter how big a ranch ya' own, or how many cows ya' brand, the size of your funeral is still gonna depend on the weather." -- Harry S. Truman.

Offline widow bit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2003, 11:18:00 PM »
I too am not really a collector but I do enjoy a well crafted arrow and it is becoming a practice within the Michigan Bow Hunters to have commemorative type arrows. I have one that is handmade by Joe Vincent, a grand-nephew of Nels Grumley. It is a triple-footed arrow with an MBH 50th Anniversary Bodkin broadhead. Although I own it, it is in Sparta-T's possession (safe keeping for now).  :thumbsup:  
I also have a Ben Pearson Cock Robin youth bow from the 50's and I just purchased another from ebay (I was a bit disappointed in this one though). And I have a stickbow that my father and I found in the crawl space of a house we remodeled back in the mid-70's. I was told it was a self bow because the main bow is just one solid piece of wood, but it is a production bow (maybe Ben Pearson?) I was also told it is lemonwood. It is about 25#.
That is about the extent of my archery memorabilia.
We are all arrows in the quiver. Some have blunts, some fieldtips, some nutters, some have broadheads. One is not more important than the other, we just have different jobs to do.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2003, 01:13:00 PM »
I just made a deal for a 1964 Kodiak 55# in great condition.  I got tired of fighting the bidders on eBAY an made a deal with a collector in Fort Collins CO. for  a private sale.  I should be getting it in about a week.  Although I know there are more out ther in 55#, I have only seen one 55# '64 kodiak on ebay.

Thrilled to get it.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2003, 04:50:00 PM »
Mine is a 1957 Kodiak Special; 64" 45# @ 28". Beautiful bow IMHO. Tan glass, white/brown tips; leather wrapped riser. Still have the original string in the package.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2004, 10:32:00 AM »
About 3 years ago I bought a 1960 Bear Kodiak, 64" and 50# pull from a local archery shop. The bow looked fairly clean, limbs were straight, and the price was right at $85.00.  After getting the bow, I noticed that the limbs had reversed limb colors. I started contacting some Bear collectors and told them what I had, and they all said they never saw a Kodiak with reverse limb colors. I contacted Bowdoc, and had him refinish the bow for me. He told me that was the rarest Bear bow he had ever seen. Kind of made me feel good hearing that from Bowdoc. It is now a prized collection hanging on my wall. I did not have the heart to tell the archery shop owner what he had sold. If I ever get a digital camera, I will post some pics.

------------------------------------------------
  May your arrow drink deep of the white-tail.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2004, 12:18:00 AM »
NOW ya'll tell me there is something wrong with the '63 bears. bought one at flea market this past summer & did all my hunting with it this fall. no problems SO FAR! shoots great! been looking for a '63 griz myself, love the looks of them rascals. ps2

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »
Pond , I have read in a archery collectors book that 1963 was one of the biggest years for bow defects for Bear Archery ...I started shooting a bow that year..I use to collect Archery catologs Bear , Browning ,Herters...I read there were reports in 1963 of Bear bows exploding at full draw...dont know if thats a fact , just read it..#78...I would love to have 1957 or 50s 64 inch LEFTY RECURVE....any poundage @28..mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©