INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: BOWS WANTED  (Read 1554 times)

Offline GREYFOX

• Trad Bowhunter
BOWS WANTED
« on: January 29, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »
Dear Tradgang Members: Howdy, I am new to this site so you don't know anything about me.Just a short history:I'm 63 and have been into archery since 1958. My first "Real Bow" was a Ben Pearson Palomino that pulled 57# and was responsible for my lifelong love affair with traditional archery.
 I am currently the owner of 15 bows, both recurves and longbows. Five of these are vintage ,nice old classics and the others are all custom masterpieces.
 I am on the lookout for the following bows because of me having one and being young and dumb I let them get away.
 #1 - a nice clean Pearson Palomino
 #2 - A Bear Kodiak Black Beauty ( BLACK PHENOLIC ) RISER AND BLACK GLASS LIMBS.
 #3 - This one will throw many of you, a Steiner recurve made in Huntington,WV  back in the sixties, There were two models - the V cor (top of the line) and the Fury. I would be interested in either or both of these.I am only interested in good clean examples.
 My current bows are perhaps for trade:
  #1 Colt Trophy Mark 1  69" ,39#
  #2 Shahespeare  Manitou  x-20  58" 40#
  #3 Bear Grizzly Brown Glass Zebra Wood 58" 52#
  #4 Howatt Super Diabalo ( 1964 model) 60" 46#
  #5 York Tracker 58" 55#
  Thanks in advance for the opportunity to post this very long message on the thread.
      Respectfully
       GREYFOX
DANIEL GILLENWATER

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BOWS WANTED
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 07:20:00 PM »
Welcome Greyfox!
Good luck with your search. The Bear shouln't be to hard but that Steiner ought to be a challage!
   :wavey:

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »
GREYFOX

Don't feel alone in being "young and dumb"  I bought a '64 Kodiak in 1964.  In 1968, on my honeymoon, I bought a '68 Super Kodiak at the Bear Museum. Fred Bear signed it.  My new bride informed me that if I bought the new bow, I had to sell the '64.  I sold it to a friend for $15.00.  Who knew they would be so collectible.  I recently replaced it at a cost of $400.00.  I don't have that bride any more, but I still have the '68 Super Kodiak.  Keep the important things.

I have a super clean PALOMINO 41# about a 1966 model.  It is the 6th bow from the top in my avatar on the left.  I Cannot let it go as it belonged to my best friend of 39 years who passed away last April.  I assume, however, you are looking for a late 50's model
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline GREYFOX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I can't blame you for not selling that bow from your friend. I too hold things dear to me close to my heart.Yes, i would prefer to have a 1958 if I can find one.I t gives me somethinf to rearch for when I attend various happenings.
DANIEL GILLENWATER

Offline GREYFOX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 01:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I can't blame you for not selling that bow from your friend. I too hold things dear to me close to my heart.Yes, i would prefer to have a 1958 if I can find one.I t gives me somethinf to rearch for when I attend various happenings.
DANIEL GILLENWATER

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »
GREYFOX

Your best bet is to keep an eye on eBAY.  I have seen late 50's Palomino pop up from time to time.  They usually go for reasonable prices since the Pearsons are not as sought after buy collectors as the Bears or Wings, and the 60's models seem to be more in demand.  There was one about a month ago that was about what you were looking for.  Good luck in your search
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©