INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Old Indian bow  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Purple Dragon

• Trad Bowhunter
Old Indian bow
« on: February 05, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »
Dose anybody know the history of the Indian Bow Co.? I happed to acquire a 48"inch recurve with no string(which I am having a hard time finding).An it is in good condtion.Please help

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Indian bow
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 08:12:00 PM »
Can't help with the history on the bow. Black widow makes a nice Flemish twist 48" AMO string for the Internature kids bows they sell. You could probably pick up a string from them.   :)
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »
This is just a real rough guess,Indian Archery had broadheads in 1949.
To obtain the correct string length measure from nock groove to nock along the limb curve on the belly side of the bow(side facing you with bow in shooting position).
This is the bow length. if you subtract 4" you will be real close to the correct string.
You also need the know the bows draw weight as this will determine the number of strands in the string, ie; 60#=16,50#=14, 40#=12 these are  guideline numbers. Strands can vary to accommodate nocks, noise, wear etc.
If you still have trouble with a string email me and we'll see what else we can come up with.
   :thumbsup:

Offline Big Chief Bammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 01:53:00 AM »
Indian Archery Co. built bows in Evansville, Indiana for years. The 48" model if you are talking about an adult hunting bow was called the Stalker model. If you can't get a string for it locally, I can make you a flemish twist string for it.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 02:25:00 AM »
I have the Indian Archery bow my father got for military school in 1936.
 It is in need of straightening from [being left strung I believe]. But it came in a wooden (birch I think) box; which I have also. The box is 73 inches long; 2 inches deep; and 4 5/8 inches wide; with a hinged top- that is 73 x 4 5/8 x 3/8 thick as opposed to 1/8 thick bottom. the box is made to hold 8 -28 inch arrows that came with the bow.
  It is a 6 foot bow-  with a redish leather grip.
 there is a label above the grip on the face; and on the back of the bow is stamped 40 and under that stamped 'pounds'; and under that 'item'; under that is stamped in '64'. What the 64 refers to I don't know; unless thats the item number.
The label on the box says 'university' size 2; plain ends.
  It had an instruction manual; that says the fistmile should be 6 inches.
  I am not sure any of this helps; but hope so  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 09:24:00 AM »
There is an old Indian bow in a shop not far from my house and they want $85 for it. It is a longbow (flatbow) of about 60" with what looks like black or dark green backing. Is it worth $85?

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »
PURPLE DRAGON

If you will contact George at TOLLGATE ARCHERY in West Winfield NY, he can make any string you want.  Just give him the basics on the bow and he wil ltake it from there

315-822-5893
[email protected]

Indian Archery made recurves for years. If you ever see an  "AI" compound bow, that is the same company.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©