INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Thunderbird Wing  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Mark Fedrizzi

• Trad Bowhunter
Thunderbird Wing
« on: February 06, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »
Wingnuts, I have a 54" Thunderbird wing by AMF archery silkscreened on the lower limb and Thunderbird silkscreened on the upper limb??(not 100% sure what a silkscreen is but I beleive it is this from reading previous threads).  The lower left portion of the riser indicates 54" T-2-1418 amo 40#..The riser is green with a pretty woodgrain pattern and it green/white overlays on the front of the riser and the same color overlays on the limb tips. It has 2 short medal dowels tapped into the bottom of the riser-front and 1 tapped into the top of the riser - front..I am guessin these are for a stabilzer and a quiver..Do these remove? Any info on the bow would be apreciated....Thanx..Mark
Keep Em' In The Kill Zone

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunderbird Wing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 07:40:00 AM »
Hi Mark--
  You have a good shooter there! I think your Bird may have been built in about 1972 or so. Wingwood riser, (colored maple). The brace height is from 8" - 9". You are correct on the bushings in the bow. The two are for a Wing quiver and the one closest to your hand is for a fishing reel. You could install a stabilizer too. In the 54", I'll bet she really shoots an arrow! These were installed by the factory. I don't know if you would want to remove them. This was original. From where your serial number is, I will say she is a right hand bow. Am I correct? You are right on the silkscreens. If you have any more questions, please feel free.  Thanks
   Bob   aka-WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline Mark Fedrizzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »
Wingnuts,  She is right handed..It draws very smooth but unfortunately both limbs are slightly twisted..This bow was left behind and beleive it or not it was getting ready to be tossed. It was still strung when I rescued it..Im guessing it was strung and thrown around for quite awhile..I read on a thread on how to straighten limbs. If you have any info on this bow and/or a different methods I would appreciate the info..Thanx again
Keep Em' In The Kill Zone

Offline WingNuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »
BlackBeard--
  I think you can optain Info. on straightening of limbs in archery forms. That would be my best advice. Then, give it a shot. You just may be happy with the results.  Thanks Much!
     WingNuts
Stupid Hurts

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 04:30:00 PM »
BLACKBEARD

If I am not mistaken the Thunderbird has a sweeping recurve rather than a tight one.  These are usually not hard to straighten the limb twist.  First just unstring it and let it sit in a warm area .  Sometimes they will return to lineup on their own.  Not ofter, but sometimes.  If that does not do it, try to twist the limb back a little past center.  Do each limb by it self, one at a time.  Often this will bring it back in line.  If that does not work, put hot water in the bath tub and let the limb warm up.  Try to twist it again.  Sometimes you will have to twist and hold it twisted for a minute.  Do it a little at a time so as not to over twist it.  

If you are successful in gettting the twist out, string it up and see if the string settles naturally into the string groove.  If just a bit out, you can twist it a bit while strung.

NOTE:  Only string the bow with a bow stringer.  If you don't have one, get one.  More recurves are twisted by stringing with the step through method, or push-pull method than any other way. You have a great bow there, take care of it .
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©