INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Carroll's ?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
Carroll's ?
« on: February 17, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »
Hello all,

I have a dandy one piece recurve made by "Carroll's"..  It is 62" and 53# with a Rosewood riser and yellow fiberglass limbs,serial #1126..The only other writing on the bow is the word  "Cook"

If anyone has any info on Carroll's bows I would appreciate it...I have watched ebay for a year now and have only seen a handfull of Carroll's...They were all metal riser bows.. I have not seen any like mine with wood risers...Internet searches has provided little information.. I think P.S.E may have bought the company back in the 70's...

Thanks
Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carroll's ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »
The only Carroll bows that I'm familiar with were from Utah. and like you mentioned they had metal risers. Not sure if they made a laminated recurve or not. They were big in the mid-70's during the compound startup, making coumpounds and recurves.
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »
Wasn't Carrol the one to have an over draw on their riser? You had to orient the blade vertical. It probably wasn't the first, but the first I remember seeing
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 12:33:00 AM »
Ken, Perhaps you're thinking of the Groves? then again maybe both if them made overdraws.
Carrol made the limbs for the Wing Presentation II
Some of their earlier bows were wood risers, and that is the extent of my memory.
Interesting question, hope someone comes up with more info.
  :confused:  and old!

Offline SuperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »
Bill,
My dad did a lot of business with Carroll in the '70's (more with compounds). I will run it by him and see if he knows any more about wood Carroll bows.
Run Forrest Run!!!

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »
Hey,

Thanks all,

This thread had sit here for so long with no posts that I had quit looking...LOL

Dave, I will check in..

Thanks again.

Offline NUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »
I have one too. I too have tried in vain to find out more about this bow. Mine is 45# @ 28inches, wood riser, yellow (white) glass backed limbs. Mine is 58 inch bow. I wanted to add a couple pics to this reply but had trouble doing so.
>>>>>>----NUT---->

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »
NUT;
email me the pics and I can post them. Folks need to see these bows as they are some real nice looking ones.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »
NUT:
Here's the pics of your bow

I envy you guys that have these Carroll/Cook bows. I have handled them but never owned one. They are a work of art!

Offline NUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »
Thanks Raghorn,
>>>>>>----NUT---->

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
Like many have already stated, I am familiar with the metal riser Carrols, but this is the first I have seen with Wood risers.  Back in the old days, Carrol made some fine tournament bows.  I was unaware of any hunting models.  

Like many othr great brands, these were bows made by individual bowyers on a small scale when most of the better known, more popular brands were mass produced, like Bear, Pearson, Wing, Widow, etc...    When we used to see these "off brand" bows, we always assumed they could not be as good as the major players.  Boy, were we wrong.  Thes bows are now some of the most collectiblebows out there because of a combination of their rarity and being solid shooters.

You have a great find.  Enjoy it.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline NUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 03:30:00 PM »
My brother picked this bow up at a flea market for 10 bucks! He only shoots guns but knew I was into Trad stuff so he bought it and gave it to me. Cant beat that price! It goes well with my other recurves.   :cool:
>>>>>>----NUT---->

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »
I sold my Carrols about a year ago...Then regretted selling it...It is a fine shooter, rivaling my expensive custom bows and putting my bears to shame...

Just the other day I contacted the guy I sold it to and asked him if he wanted to trade for a Redwing Hunter...I sent the bow home with him and told him to take his time before deciding...He brought me the Carrols and kept the Wing...

I am keeping it this time....LOL

Here is a pic.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 08:32:00 AM »
SANTIUM

Good move on your part.  Red Wing Hunters are a dime a dozen as compared to a Carrol.  Then it depends on if it is an original WING, A Head Ski, or AMF model.  For your buddy's use, any red wing hunter is a solid shooter.  As a collectible, the Carrol is better.  IF you want to double your original position, I will give you two red  wing hunters for your carrol.

Trust me, that would not be a good trade for you.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Steve Cox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »
Hi Nut!

Bring your recurves out to the club in January and we'll shoot them for you...  

Steve
Remember: Failure is not an option.  (It comes bundled with the software)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©