INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: St. Charles Quivers  (Read 1722 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
St. Charles Quivers
« on: February 24, 2004, 10:54:00 AM »
Does anyone here know much about them?  I have a couple that I am trying to get an approximate value on.  They are #77 and #79 of 100 or less, Made in the mid 80's I believe (will have to check).  They were offered only to dealers, hand signed and numbered by Mr. St. Charles.  Both are in very good condition--one was used a little, the other just had arrows displayed in it.  Any info. is appreciated.

Chad

Offline Michael Tracy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St. Charles Quivers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »
Howdy Chad,   :wavey:  
I'll give ya $10.00 bucks fur both.   "[tunglaff]"  lol. Larry Y. (aka nova) has a few of them, I'll ask him what he thinks. Sounds like there in perfect or near perfect condition, so I think a lot. The best way to find out, would be to watch fur one on e-bay and see what it goes for.
God bless you and yours,
Michael

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 11:38:00 AM »
Hi Chad

There are three versions of the St. Charles Quiver, that I know of.  The original had a covering made of elk hide.  The first ones came out in the very early '60's with no cross tie in the front.  Later they added a strip of rawhide that you could tie the two straps together to keep it from sliding off.

In the late '60's or early '70's, Bear put them out with a vinyl covering.  Lots cheaper.

Now Glenn St. Charles son, Joe, is hand making a fancier version that he puts up on ebay once in a while, and each one is signed by his dad.  

Naturally, the value depends on what you have.  I had an original one and it disappeared several years ago.  It was in my attic, and I can't find it now.  What a loss.  I have seen these (in good shape) break $100.00 on eBAY several times, and the vinyl ones get pretty close.  The new ones that Joes is making get listed at $199.99 on eBAY and they always seem to sell.

I don't know if this helped you out, and I am by no means an expert, but this is what I have seen.

You may want to go the the real expert, Joe St. Charles.  I dont know his e-mail address byt one of his auctions is below, just click on "ask seller a question"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662063727&category=20836

Let me know what you have and how much you want for them.  I may be interested myself
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 02:58:00 AM »
Lol--Larry has tried to buy/trade for them before, but I really wasn't interested back then.  Biggie Hoffman has also shown interest in the past, but I had no idea of the worth.  I had the original paperwork with one of them, pretty sure I still have it.  They are in excellent condition.

I e-mailed either Joe or Jay about them several years ago, but couldn't really find out anything.  These were only offered to dealers, and the original price was $150 each (I think that's right--may have been $149--close anyhow).  According to the paperwork, they were limited production of 100, but Joe (or Jay) said he didn't think that many of them ever actually got out.

I've thought about selling one or the other, just afraid I'll be sick of it if I did.  On the other hand, I haven't worked in 4 weeks due to an accident I had that resulted in a bum ankle (hard to climb a scaffold like that), so I may be interested.  A definate maybe   :knothead:  .  Shoot me an e-mail if you would like to discuss it--I haven't decided what to do.  They would look much better in someone's collection rather than gathering dust here.

Chad

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 11:44:00 AM »
I would be interested in one to with my broadhead collection and I could send biggie a picture of it, I'm sure he would be content w/that.

kojac
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 12:21:00 AM »
I can be reached at [email protected], and if you are going to be at the GA shoot next weekend, the Kentucky Klassic, Twin Oaks, or Cloverdale I can bring them with me.

Chad

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »
Happpened to remember this thread, and wondering if anyone ever found out more.  I do have the original paperwork with one of them, but a mouse chewed on it some.  I still don't know if I want to sell one, but I would like to get an idea on the value.

Chad

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 10:49:00 AM »
CHAD

Authentic mouse teeth marks should add to the value.  Read Glenns Book "Bows on the Little Delta" about how thay had field mouse crawling all over them at night in the hunting lodge.

Mouse teeth marks would add a bit of nostalgia to it.

Still never found mine. I had an original, with elk skin.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »
Jack,
I have a very interesting St Charles STYLE quiver made by Colonel Milan Elott who ran the College of Archery in College Park, GA for many years.

He wrote a book called "Why We Miss" and in it he has lots of photos with he and others using archery gear from the period..and some Korean bows as well.

His leather tooling is UNEXCELLED by any I have seen anywhere...elaborate, deep, and artistic..its amazing stuff.

I would like to post a pic of it but dont know how...but would be glad to send to you by snail mail so you can see it.

Art Vincent of Cedar Ridge Leather saw photos and was very complimentary of it..I had him build armguard for me to match the quiver- a big boar hog with cactus and oaks around him...and some large large cutters sticking out!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »
RAY

I would love to seethe pictures.  It gets me sick to think that I lost an original elk hide St. Charles quiver.  Hopefully, it may still be in the atic of my old house.  I sold that to my son and we did leave a few things up there. I need to check it out next time we go by there.

I am engrossed in a new copy of "Bows on the Little Delta".  It is a fascinating read.  I got it from Joe St. Charles.  I figure that once I have read it twice, it wil lbe a great donation for the TBG auction next year.

I am familiar with Milan Elliot, but I was not aware of him being from Georgia.  I never read his book but I remember the series of articles that he wrote by the same name in Bow & Arrow.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »
I have the first Bear one, belonged to Sterling Harrell and is signed by Glenn St. Charles.  Well used, but still serviceable.  It is available.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 10:44:00 AM »
Chad,

Just send the partially used one up as a deposit on your someday AK trip along with the other video.   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©