INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Which models had micarta  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
Which models had micarta
« on: March 21, 2004, 11:47:00 PM »
Hello all,

I was wondering which models of Bear bows in the 1967-1969 period had risers made with micarta?  I see folks advertising Super Mags and such from that period but I never knew if they all came with micarta risers or if that was only the Super Kodiak.  Thanks for any information.

Larry
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which models had micarta
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »
Hello LARRY

Talking off the top of my head on the MICARTA RISERS, to the best of my recollection Bear came out witht the Super Magnum in 1966 with a phenolic riser (bowling ball material). They kept this in the Super Magnum through 69.  I think in 67 they also came out with the Tamerlane HC-30 and the Super Kodiak.  In 68 & 69 The Super Kodiak was a phenolic riser with rosewood caps, and the HC-300 had the Phenolic/Rosewood riser.   I assume that the phenolic riser is the same as the MICARTA that you are referring to.

After these years they went to FUTUREWOOD which was actually hardrock maple, dyed various colors, and impregnated with rosen.  I understand that they would put the material in a vacuum and suck out any sap, then put it under pressure and forced rosen into the pours.  

I am just about 99.99% sure tha I am right on the above info, but I coulkd be off a bit.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the details. My question was did they use mircarta/phenolic in all of their models during 67-69 and it sounds like they did, at least some variant of each model during that time period.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 07:17:00 AM »
My wifes kodiak special is zebra wood and micarta.
Dean

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©