INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1960 Kodiak Special Deluxe  (Read 1521 times)

Offline aproc123

• Trad Bowhunter
1960 Kodiak Special Deluxe
« on: March 29, 2004, 08:43:00 PM »
I picked up a Bear Kodiak Special Deluxe (with the crystalight glass).  (The guy I bought it from paid $5 for it at a yard sale!).  Serial number 15P40, 64" 42#.  The bow itself is not in bad shape.  All the decals are really good, the finish is trashed, the riser seems to be a little weathered, tips are good, and there don't seem to be any problems with the glass.  

Any idea of the value? Do you think I should get it re-finished?  If I should get it refinished, any suggestions where I should have it done.

Thanks for your help and expertise,
Adam

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1960 Kodiak Special Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »
If the glass is intact then by all means have Bowdoc refinish it!!
Don Ward    [email protected]
It will be worth every penny.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 08:45:00 AM »
The Kodiak Special Delux is one of the most sought after by Bear collectors.  In top original shape I have seen them go for over $500.00 on eBAY.  Under normal circumstances, refinishing a bow devalues it for collector purposes, however, if the finish is really bad, it is devalued anyway, and a good refinish job will only increase the value.

RAGHORN is right!  Don Ward is your man.  Don't let anybody touch it but him.  He does no go by the name "BOWDOC" for nothing. He is the best.

You did not state how much YOU paid for it, but if you put $200.00 into refinishing it (and I don't think it wil lgo that high) you will still have your monies worth, and more, depending on howmuch you paid.

CONGRATS- Sometime we just luck into a greeat find.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline aproc123

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »
I gave $175 for it...I've only seen one other(it was painted camo with just a small section of the glass showing...the guy wanted a $1,000 for it).  How do I get in contact with Bowdoc?

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »
Don Ward's email: [email protected].  Tell him to make sure he catches that plane to go bear hunting this spring...Jeff
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »
PS: Not only is he the best at refinishing a bow but he is one of the funniest guys you'll ever have around your campfire...Jeff
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »
Wouldn't want him made at me! I've seen his rantings on ebay!!!!!

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »
You got a good deal for it.  Back in February, one sold on ebay for $883.00, but it was in super condition.  I was going to bid on it as a birthday present for my wife, but she didn't want me to spend that much.

I'll echo "BowDoc"; he's supposed to be one of the best...
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 02:48:00 PM »
ADAM
I see you are from Indiana.  I know the BOWDOC will be at the Cloverdale get-together in June.

I wish I could go but it is too far at a bad time for me.  If you live that close to Cloverdale, you need to be there anyway.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline aproc123

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »
I'll be at Cloverdale.  My wife is still a bit sensative about me spending the $175 on it (especially since we have twins on the way!).  I assured her it was a good purchase...she says the refinishing has to wait though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©