INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: WHAT IS THE PRIDE AND JOY OF YOUR BOW COLLECTION  (Read 5636 times)

Offline pineshafter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHAT IS THE PRIDE AND JOY OF YOUR BOW COLLECTION
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2004, 11:59:00 PM »
Don't think I have much to worry about as long as there's youngn's around to give them to.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »
PINESHAFTER  -  That is my intention with my collection.  My ten year old grandson stands to inherit about 75 recurves, about 40 of them real nice collectors bows.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline mooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »
Papalan:  This bow was given to Frank Scott, Freds long time friend and employee and I got it from Frank.

Fred used this bow when he hunted at Grousehaven.

View my web site for a few more items of interest.

www.mooseran.com

Offline pineshafter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2004, 03:50:00 AM »
Papa, I take it your grandson is already shooting (with your help of course) What a cool pass down gift. More enjoyable then cash.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »
PINESHAFTER

Yes, Cody is shooting.  My problem was that he quickly outgrows the low weight bows I was getting him.  Now that he can shoot a 35# bow (24" though), I just let him shoot out of my colelction.  How many 10 yr olds are shooting 3-D with a Staghorn.  He has no idea of what a collectible bow he is shooting.  His next bow is a 40# 1964 Bear Kodiak.   I intend to see him brought up with a konowledge and  appreciation of collectible recurves.

MOOSERAN

Frank Scott was a helluva  gentleman.  I have a 1983 "B" riser that was signed by Fred Bear.  I sent it to Frank and he signed it for me also.  He did that about one month before he died.  That is one bow I will neve sell.  What an honor you have by owning Fred's personal bow.  I am jealous.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline mooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2004, 12:16:00 AM »
Papalapin, I have any early Gainesville also signed by Fred.

I don't where your located but your welcome to stop by and vist. So far 3 Trads have been here and have had there photo taken holding Fred's bow.  I had one fellow that had to have his photo taken wearing Fred's bolo tie.

Frank Scott was a top shelf kinda guy. Smooth and easy going. Could tell stories as well as Fred did and then some. Very much missed.

moose

Offline W. H. Bill Fuller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2004, 09:16:00 AM »
Moose,  Thanks very much for sharing with us.  I've looked at your web site and really, really enjoyed it.  A great way to start my day!
Bill Fuller
Bow shootin' 51 years & still counting.
MT Bowhunters Assoc. Life Member

Offline Recurvetd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »
A Ben Pearson Deluxe Hunter
A Ben Pearson Cobra take down(1958)
I knew Gene Thorpe. He was quiet an archer,
he was a driving force in archery in New Orleans.
Kelly Bridges

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »
KELLY

GENE THORP was a great guy.  I was about 20 yrs old when I met him.  He was the President of the New Orleans Archery Club.  He must have been in his late 50's or maybe in his '60's.  He became my mentor in tournament archery.  When I saw his Widow (bow, not wife) on eBAY, I had to have it.  It holds a spot of honor on my bow rack.

You are correct that he was a driving force for archery in the New Orleans area. I joined NOAC, even though I was from Houma, and stayed a member for two years until President Johnson invited me into his service.  When I got back, our local club had disbanded and I kinda drifted away from tournament shooting.  There were a lot of great folks in that club, but the only other name that I can remember 37 years later is JEWETT BROCK.  Were you a member of NOAC?

Offline Recurvetd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »
Sovereign Deluxe Hunter(proto type that was not accepted for production.
Ben Pearson Cobra take down(1958)
I knew Gene Thorpe. He was a driving force in target archery in Louisiana.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2004, 05:16:00 PM »
KELLY

Seems like many of the old traditional shooters from the area knew Gene.  He was a great guy.  I am very pleased to have his old bow.  It brings back fond memories of shooting with him at the NOAC.  I can remember going there for the first time, trying to see what others were shooting.  Some folks are really finikey about letting someone else shoot their bows.  Not Gene.  He had just got it, first time shooting it, and he let me sling a few.  It was a great bow, for a great man.  He had Thorpe Consumer Credit in New Orleans.  When I wanted to get a new hunting bow, money was tight, and I was just married, Gene financed it for me through Janssen's Archery Shop.  Another great guy.  Did you know Paul Janssen?

Offline Recurvetd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2004, 07:52:00 PM »
Yes ,I met he several times. I shot in the tournaments in New Orleans.  I lived in Baton Rouge. Did you know Miss Norckauer.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »
Kelly , I wondered where you moved to...mark chambers ARTAC....
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Recurvetd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2004, 11:05:00 PM »
Hi Mark,
My wife's family has land here. I have three large fields, woods with deer and turkeys and I have not shot my bow since I have been here. I hope to set up a 3-D practice range here and be ready to shoot next year. Hunting is a bust, my wife has named all the turkeys that walk in the field each day.  My son walked up on a fawn in the woods, so now every deer we see the that fawns mother.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2004, 08:31:00 PM »
KELLEY

I do not remember her.  We had a field club in Houma, an mostly ran the field circuit in Louisiana.  That was in '67 & 68.  My wife and I joined the NOAC and made about 3 or 4 shoots a year.guy you never forget.  

Heck, I am 58 and that was over 40 years ago.  Oldtimers desease is starting to creep.

Although I got to know several of the members, Gene and Jewett are the only  names I can remember from NOAC.  Gene was the kind of

Offline Recurvetd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »
I shot field in the early 60's. I remember Bill Brown and Durwood Nails. I saw Bill Brown at the senior Olympics last year. He is srill shooting  very well. He won at the nation serior olympics year before last.

Offline 4nolz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2004, 10:11:00 PM »
would this be Bill Brown,the original owner of The Little Delta bow? If so I'd LOVE to get him to sign it!

Offline Recurvetd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »
No, This Bill Brown was a top level field archer since the 60's. I don't think he hunted much.

Offline TradTodd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2004, 01:07:00 AM »
Well everyone I'm new to archery, got my first bow on sunday, I'm a single dad with 2 girls. I wont call myself a collector, but here's what I have so far. A 67' little bear 18# @ 24" RH, my 10 yr old likes how smooth it shoots, I was given that by a gent I met on here with the condition I have to give it away to another kid when she outgrows it, fair enough, but it will be a shame to see it go, real nice riser. Got the 15 yr old a 66' (I think!?)polar 66" 36# @ 28" ser# 6H8, It is just as prety as any tamerlane I have ever seen, it's just awesome looking. A vine maple longbow/selfbow for the 10 yr old. And an older dual shelf actionwood/glass laminated longbow for me, and a new sinew backed osage longbow/selfbow for me. I have 500$ into these so far, of course I'm broke, but hopefully there will be fresh meat soon. I'm hoping to find a longbow for the 15 year old, she wants to bring out that blackfoot in her, and dad thinks maybe that polar should be on the wall! It was fun reading about those great bows you guys have, my cousin has a compass kodiak.

Offline Indian Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »
Im thinking of starting to collect but I also want to shoot the bows that I buy. Given that I purchase bows that are in good condition,should I worry about shooting twenty or thirty arrows with them at a time? I would hate to have my bow and my money blow up in my face!Please if you have any advice,storys, etc. etc.I would appreciate your time Thanks
Jeremy Tate

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©