INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: WHAT IS THE PRIDE AND JOY OF YOUR BOW COLLECTION  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Recurvetd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHAT IS THE PRIDE AND JOY OF YOUR BOW COLLECTION
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »
Most bow from the 60's and 70's are shooters. Bows from the 50's usually can be shot, but need to be checked. Bows from the 40's usually have been srored in dry ,hot places. These will break if shot very much. Of course there are exceptions to all of these. You take a chance when you shoot any old bow. I have several old bows I do not shoot because they could be scratched or break. I value them too much to take out in the field. I have several I enjoy shooting just to remember the "old days".

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2004, 08:47:00 AM »
RECURVETD

I knew Durwood Nails, he had a wierd HORSE LAUGH. He was a big field shooter but was also a top indoor shooter.   Also Jack Bell who was the distrect rep for NFAA. Scott Townsend, Drew and Helen Nelms, and many others that I cannot recall their names.  Brings back memories of the good old days.

TRAD TODD

If you have two or more bows, you ARE a collector.  Collecting bows is a hobby in itself.  But be careful, it can get expensive.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline PaulN/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »
Was just perusing all the neat bows that you gents have.Best I have to offer is my Bear Tigercat.Bought it used in 73 but don't know what year it was made.hav'nt shot it for a few years but after reading these posts I guess I'll have to wax the string and give it some "exercise".

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2006, 12:10:00 AM »
1. all wood Locksley, probably 40's vintage (before Ben Pearson bought them).  This is a 30# static recurve that I still shoot.

2. Doug Duncan Zebra Safari Longbow, 60#

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Paflyfisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
My favorite is a 54#@28" Allegheny Mountain bow built by Bill Kerner. Backup is a 47# Ben Pearson Special.

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »
I love old bear bows and own several but my favorites are:
       Super Kodiak amo60" 45# previously owned
        by Joe St Clair.
       1963 Kodiak Hunter with Shedua riser
        amo58" 42#
       Bear Alaskan amo62" 30#
       Bear Tamerlane HC-300 amo66"31#

Perhaps the sweetest shooter that I have is a Martin Dreamcatcher with yew limbs signed by Larry Hatfield.
Also have an original Brackenbury Shadow signed by Jim.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2006, 12:56:00 AM »
I like the 1960 Kodiaks and Kodiak Deluxes, here is both in all three lengths that they were made...

I like the 1959 Kodiaks too! Here is a few of them....

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
OMG!!

I have a few 55/6's, 57's and 59's, but man o man...those are beauts!!!

I love that design.

Awesome collection!

Offline mtnmanbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2006, 09:40:00 PM »
My top 3 are:

Offline mtnmanbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
Sorry.......My top 3 are:                                               1.  Grumley Bush bow                                                2.  Bear Products longbow                                            3.  1950 Kodiak #594                                               Honorable mentions: (3)Bear Archery script bows, 1948 Ranger, 1949 bear Grizzly, (2)1951 Bear Kodiaks, (2)1952 Bear Kodiaks, (3)1953 Bear Kodiaks, (3)1954 Bear Compass Kodiaks (1 walnut, 2 maple, 1956 Bear Kodiak, 1957 Bear Kodiak

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »
I have over two hundred bows mostly recurves. My favorite is a Nels Grummly found in mint shape hanging in a bedroom closet.Next is a Roy Case rigid recurve and last is a Ben Pearson Signature takedown. I will never try to shoot the Grummly or the Roy Case bow. I love shooting the 58 in. Ben Pearson TD, I have 4 of them. Love to collect. My favorite archery item that I have is a single straight fletcher made by Roy Case. Shane

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »
GAMEMASTER

As compared to you, I have a small colelction of only about 80 recurves.  As I stated at the beginning of the thread, my favorites are my Jack Howard Gamemasters.  Since then I have picked up a Brackenbury riser made to take Bear limbs, and a set of Shaffer Silvertip limbs made to go with a Bear Riser.  I really like the bow, but the Gamemasters are still my favotites.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »
I'm a lefty or wrong arm, most of my bows are left handed. You have a nice quality collection of bows there, alot of mine are hi run models or bows that the company made alot of. I just pick them up when I can. I just made up a bow, Hoyt Stag compound riser with Hoyt foam limbs, came out to 62 in., this recurve shoots well. I shoot mostly Hoyt recurves. Hard to pick just 3 favorites.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2006, 05:38:00 PM »
Well I don't have alot of bows.About 25,they are mostly bows I made or friends made.But I do buy every recurve or long bow I can at garage sales,pawn shops or flea markets.The 2 I like the most is a
Bear '63 I-beam,Dogleg,12BC 87,60"@45# mint cond.
GlasLite,Bush Whacker, 50#@28'
 My nicest archery piece is a Bear quiver with the Indian in the canoe that Charlie Kroll sighned for me when we were shooting together a year before he passed away

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
I had 3 of the Bushwacker bows, two were 50 lb. and one that is a kid's version at 25 lb.,neat looking bows. Four very old Saxon recurves and a Dickies Fireball TD, very odd shaped limbs.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »
GameMaster,Yea I thought the Bushwacker was neat looking with that aircraft aluminum riser.I gave $7 for it and one limb was twisted.I had it strung backwards for 4 years and now its straight.

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »
I sold one to a friend and he shot a spike buck that fall. They are not too fast of a bow but will do the job. I've fixed alot of bows by putting them in a vise and then warming them up with the chosen ones hair-dryer,it works.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »
MULLET

I am right there with you on the doglegs.  I have three of them and one 52"

I also have 3 '64's which I consider to be the best shooting hunting bow that Bear ever made.

Many of my 80 bows are run of the mill bows that I picked up cheap, but I also have some real collectors items.

My wife looks at my collection and asks how many bows I can shoot at one time.  My answer,  about as many pairs of shoes that she can wear at one time.

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »
My favorite bow is my sons bow.  It is a Darton Super flight in 30 lb range.   He is about to outgrow it.  I will be shopping this year for another one.  

My bow is a Big River Bow by John McDonald.   It is 57# @ 28.  

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
Looks to have a bit of dogleg in it.  Pretty bow.

How do you get the bowstring to balance on the tip of a broadhead like that.  Interesting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©