INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Balboa Bow  (Read 1189 times)

Offline DWRay

• Trad Bowhunter
Balboa Bow
« on: October 25, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »
I have written to Martin Archery 3 times concerning this bow as to wether or not they may have some information as to its origins.  It is named the "Balboa" by Damon Howatt, 65 lbs @ 28".  It is 60" in length.  It looks just like Martins Mamba but has brown glass on the limbs.  It has no scratches or dings on it so it tells me it has not been shot much.  Does anyone has a best guestimate on when this bow might have been made.  Thanks in advance.
Walk softly and carry a big stick bow

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Balboa Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »
DWRay

If you want a wild "GUESTIMATE" here it is

Early to mid '60's.  You don't see many BALBOA's, and I never could figure out why.  They are great bows.

As far as being the same bow as the Martin MAMBA, I don't think so.  The Martin MAMBA is a continuation of the Howatt MAMBA, another great bow.  I would venture to say that the MAMBA, the DIABLO, and the HI SPeed (even maybe the HUNTER) were all very semilar with the main difference being the AMO length.  I think the BALBOA was short lived and they changed the length of the MAMBA to whatever the BALBOA was.  I may be wrong here but I think the MAMBA was the longest running name for Damon Howat.  You see some older models looking like '50's bows, and you still see the MAMBA carried on into the Martin line.  

In any case, with Bear and Ben Pearson haveing better name recognition and market share, I don't think Damon Howatt got the respect they deserved back in the '60's.  Althought they were not as well known, or as popular, I feel that they make one of the best quality bows of the era, as good as Bear (if not better) and certainly better than Ben Pearson.

You have a real keeper there.  I have several Damon Howatts and am pretty much satisfied with what I have; however, I would love to have a BALBOA simply because they are so uncommon.  

At 65#, yours would be a bit stout for me.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline DWRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 07:11:00 PM »
Jack, thank you for the wealth of information about the Balboa.  That is the first time that I have found out anything about it.  At 65 lbs@28" it is stout for me also, especially when you hit 28" and the brick wall comes into play.  You need a set of pullies to get it back to my 30".  It was given to me by a customer.  [email protected] is my email address if you would like to discuss a trade or something.
Walk softly and carry a big stick bow

Offline Big Chief Bammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 02:21:00 AM »
Is it for sale?...Thanks...Brent

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »
I swapped Dennis for his 65# BALBOA.  I traded him a 55# HOWATT HUNTER.  Although the 65# is too much for me to shoot, I am thrilled to get it into my collection.  BALBOAs are tough to find.

It was a good trade because now Dennis has one he can use, and I have made a good addition to the wall, where the HUNTER was with three others anyway.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©