INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Take Down  (Read 1618 times)

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Take Down
« on: October 28, 2004, 07:40:00 AM »
I've just bought a take down Bear. It has a magnesium riser, size B ( 60" bow )

The original owners paperwork was included, and it was made in '73.

Can anyone tell me the name of this model. It has a shelf made for shooting off, and a spring steel adjustable sideplate.

I put a Bear carpet rest and leather side plate
on and I am shooting 2018's from its 55lb limbs.

I've been shooting compounds for a couple of years now and my trad muscles need exercise, but my first impression of it is that its not going to take long to get inside it. Very happy with it.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Take Down
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 09:47:00 PM »
Hi Allen;
Very nice find that bow is, especially in Oz. Somebody paid some big bucks it get it over there!
That model was called a Victor Kodiak. These mag risers are in my opinon the most consistent shooting bow ever made. Fast......not by any means! But they are stable. If you can get some 2016s they will really shoot nice as they are a bit lighter. The nice feature with this bow is that you can adjust center shot to accomodate different arrows.
Enjoy, you have great bow.

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 08:02:00 AM »
Ron,
     I'm getting some 2016's tomorrow, but will try the bow out on the local rabbit population with the 2018's until the 2016's are made up.

I thought it may have been a Victor Kodiak, but wasn't sure. I had a C riser model, which blew up on me, about 6 months ago ( a minutes silence please ) and I loved that bow.

I think this one will be just as good. I have two timber riser versions, but the Victor Kodiaks just seem to be especially shootable.

Over the next 6 months I'll be building back up to 65lb limbs, and will try and get something decent on the ground.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 10:08:00 PM »
Allen,
I agree with everything Ron says,(At least this time). Here is a little hint if you are going to shoot off the shelf. The Mag TD's had a rubber pad glued to the shelf. That made the shelf pretty flat. If you remove the pad, and it should peel right off, there is a very nice radiused shelf under there. That gets the arrow a bit closer to your hand as well.
I do that with all of mine, but hang onto the rubber in case you want to sell the bow. A little contact cement will put it back, good as new.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 08:48:00 AM »
Thanks , I'll check that out, as I am shooting off the shelf.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 10:50:00 AM »
If you have a "B" riser and the bow is 60" long, you have number 1 limbs.  What are the color of the limb tips? )assuming that the limbs are black.)  If the tips are white, they are the first series of takedown limbs, if they are red (and probably are if they are the original lims that came with a '73 bow) they are the second series of limbs.  One is as good as the other, but the white tips usually have a higher collectors value.

What color is the riser?  They were made in a rainbow of various colors: Black, green, brown, red, orange.

Is the finish on the fiser plain or fuzzy.  They were made two ways.

In any case, they will shoot pretty much the same.  In a word - GREAT.  

check this out

http://www.archeryhistory.com/recurves/pics/bear71.jpg
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 06:45:00 AM »
Jack,
     the limbs are white, 50 lb, and the limb tips appear to be a very light brown.

The riser is brown, and a smooth finish. I had no idea they came in so many colors, thanks for posting the link to the photo's.

I am currently running 65 lb limbs in the riser, working into a heavier poundage for hunting. My bows are working bows, but as time and finance permit, I would not mind building up a collection.

Does anyone have a collection of these, I wouldn't mind checking out some photo's and learning more about them .      

I'm also looking for a #3 high wrist grip for this bow, can anyone help me out here. Will pay $US money order or swap Broadheads for it.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »
Allen

I will have to look around a bit.  Seems to me I had a high wrist grip, but after I moved, I don't rememer seeing it around.  I will check it out

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 05:01:00 AM »
Just rechecked the color of the limb tips, when I looked the other day it was under artificial light and colors are not shown truely.

In daylight they are a very light red color. Sorry for confusion

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 11:45:00 AM »
Red tips are the second generation Bear takedown limbs.

They started (I think) in 1972.

I looked around for the high wrist grip, but cannot find it.  Sorry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©