INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Information on a Howatt, please  (Read 3028 times)

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
Information on a Howatt, please
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »
I am not a collector of bows, my wife thinks differently, but a friend gave me a Howatt's Mamba Bow.  The decale has a snake in it and Hunter below.  The bow is green glass on back and belly with a wood core. The number 58 is stamped on the side with the number 3 below it. No poundage is marked on the bow. The bow is 58 inches nock to nock and pulls 58 pounds at 28 inches.

My friend said it was not a new bow when he purchased it in the late 60's.

It is in good shape and shoots well.

Does anyone have any information on this bow?

Thanks

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Information on a Howatt, please
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 11:21:00 AM »
The MAMBA was made off and on by DAMON HOWATT for years, and is now made by MARTIN ARCHERY who bought out DAMON HOWATT.

You will see them looking like 50's bows all the way through new models.

I would venture to say that the "58" is the draw weight.  Many Bow Manufacturers would actually stamp the draw weight on the riser where the arrow plate would cover it.  I know the MAMBA was a 58" bow but if I remember correctly, some years were made in 60".  That info should have been written in ink above or below the Damon Howatt LOGO.

Your best bet for info is to contact MARTIN ARCHERY CUSTOMER SERVICE.  They still maintain all the DAMON HOWATT records.  With the serial number you might get luckey and get all the info you want.  

http://www.martinarchery.com/  

Customer Service 509-529-2554

Back then, Damon Howatt did not have the name recognition of Bear or Pearson, but in my opinion they were making better quality bows.

JUST MY THOUGHTS
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »
BY THE WAY MARVIN

If you have two or more bows, you are a collector!

According to my wife.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Waterhole-Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
Heres some information on Damon Howatt Bows. Maybe this will help answer some questions. It's rather long. Hope it doesn't bore you to death.

Damon Howatt Bows

The following is from page 32 of “The National Bowhunter” Magazine November 1957
The All ‘Round Bow
Mamba 62” Hunter
$45.00
Accuracy-Durability-Smoothness-Stability
Damon Howatt, Route 8, Yakima, Washington
Phone 28463

The following is from page 3 of “The Archer’s” Magazine July 1958

Howatt’s  “Mamba Hunter”
A durable 62” bow, weights to 70 lbs.
$45.00
Howatt’s “Hi-Speed”
A 58” bow in weights to 70 lbs.
$49.50

The following is from the inside cover of “The Eastern Bowhunter” Magazine
December 1959.
Introducing Howatt’s New “Eldorado Catalina”
66” to 69” Weights to 60 lbs.
$85.00

The following is from the inside cover of “The Eastern Bowhunter” Magazine
February 1960.
Howatt’s New Line of Bows for 1960
Howatt “Rocket”  $36.00
Howatt “Hi-Speed”  $44.50
Howatt “Hunter”  $49.50
Howatt “Diablo”  $59.50
Howatt “Monterey”  $59.50
Howatt “Palomar”  $67.50
Howatt “Catalina”  $85.00

The following is from the inside cover of “The National Bowhunter” Magazine
March 1961
America’s Most Beautiful Bows By Howatt
“Catalina”
A target competitor’s dream with a fast growing reputation everywhere. Available in California or straight wrist. 66” guaranteed to 30” draw, 69” guaranteed to 32” draw. Weights to 75 lbs. $85.00

“Palomar”
Known far and wide for years as a real standout and now redesigned for even greater performance. Choose either the California or straight wrist design. 66” guaranteed to 30” draw, 69” guaranteed to 32” draw. Weights to 75 lbs. $69.50

“Monterey”
The slightly shorter length, 62”, makes the Monterey an excellent lady’s target bow and a deadly hunting bow. Fast, accurate, beautifully finished and tough. Choice of handles and guaranteed to 29” draw. $59.50

The following is from page 14 of the “Bowhunting” Magazine October 1961

Howatt “Monterey” An outstanding hunter. 62” length, weights to 75 lbs. Choice of California or straight wrist. $59.50
Howatt “Hunter” A moderately priced bow, excellent for hunting and field shooting. 62” and 66”, weights to 75 lbs.
Howatt “Hi-Speed” 54” and 58” lengths with weights to 75lbs. Ideal for those who want a quality hunting bow at an economical price. $49.50

The following is from page 3 of “The National Bowhunter” Magazine January 1962
New from Howatt
Catalina “Century 21”
A bow so bold in concept, so skillfully engineered and finely crafted it bears a name of the future. The “Century 21” is the latest refinement of the Catalina-a design already established as one of the top competitive target bows in the world. Hand crafted of the finest and most beautiful materials available, the “Century 21” is fabricated, as are all Howatt bows, with Thermo-Glass, the original 3M Scotchply laminate for matchless strength and performance. Available in 66” and 69” lengths with weights to 75 pounds.
$100.00

The following is from page 5 of “The Archer’s Magazine” December 1962
First Choice
Howatt Target Bows
Howatt “Century 21” 66” and 69” $100.00
Howatt “Palomar” 66” and 69” $69.50
Howatt “Little John” 44”  $22.50

The following is from “Archery World” June/July 1972
Howatt Announces 1972 Line
“Finer than ever,” that’s the word from Damon Howatt Archery officals on their new line of bows for 1972. The first new bows to be revealed are the “Del Rey” and “Monterey” models. The top of the line will remain the classical “Del Rey” a superb target bow. The laminated rosewood handle has been entirely restyled. The “Del Rey” will be offered in 66” and 70” lengths. It will be fitted with a stabilizer insert, adjustable pressure point, and pre-routed for the Howatt Micro-Sight. Standard with the “Del Rey” is the heavily padded black vinal carrying case. The 1972 “Monterey” reveals a complete re-design of the laminated Shedua handle and is an upgraded model from previous years. The new “Monterey” will be offered in 66” and 69” lengths for the first time. Stabilizer will be standard.  Del Rey $160.00
"I Live With Fear And Danger Every Day But, Occasionally I Leave Her And Go Hunting!"

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 08:00:00 PM »
Waterhole-Ike,  Thanks for the information. I appreciate the time and effort you put into your reply. Very informative.

In my first post I stated that I am not a collector, that may change.  You and Papalapin have sparked an interest.

Thanks

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 10:22:00 PM »
Dave;
We have to find something for you to do. Look at all that typing you just did!!
Perhaps you would like a job as vice president of some small outfit??

Offline Waterhole-Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 11:06:00 PM »
Like you Ron, I'm just trying to be productive and spread joy when I can! Remember there's a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
"I Live With Fear And Danger Every Day But, Occasionally I Leave Her And Go Hunting!"

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 10:34:00 AM »
IKE - Your mental illness is one that many of us share.  I envy you the access to all the old archery publications.  That was some interesting, and nostalgic, information you posted.  I have my X-wifes 1967 model MONTEREY in 32#, beautiful-sweet shooting bow.  I also have two 50# MONTEREY bows.  One in dark green glass and one in Black glass.  I have three HUNTERS (55,65,70), one BALBOA (65), one PALOMAR (37), and a MATADOR (38).  I still feel that even though HOWATT did not have the name recognition that Bear and Pearson enjoyed, they made a higher quality bow, and their prices were not that much higher, if at all.  Old bears in good condition shoot great, but if you have never shot an old Howatt, you will be impressed.

Offline Waterhole-Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 12:01:00 AM »
Evening Jack,

You have an impressive collection of Howatt's. I agree with you that Howatt bows were as good if not better than most Bear bows. Most of the manufacturers that competed with Bear made a quality product. Here are a few companies that made bows in 1960 to compete with Bear. All of these bows are rarer than Bears.

Apache Bow Company, Jack Howard Gamemaster, Citation Bows, Firedrake Bows, West Bows,Jaguar Bows, Gordon Bows, Root Bows, Hoyt Bows, Wing Bows (before Bob Lee sold the Company), Groves Bows, Tex-Tox Bows, Sanders Bows, and Staghorn Bows.

This was what Kittredge carried in his shop in 1960, he also carried Bear and Pearson bows. Bear and Pearson were bigger and had more money to spend on advertising and over time most of their competors went under.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 10:51:00 PM »
IKE
Of your list, I have 6 JACK HOWARDS. 4 JETS, 1 HOWARD HUNTER, and 1 original GAMEMASTER.  I will be getting a new CLASSIC soon

I also have Staghorns, Wings, Groves,

In addition I have Brownings, Hits, Sabo, Tice & Watts, Pearsons.

Of the 83 I currently have, all I shoot are 2 JACK HOWARD JETS

One that has eluded me is a Damon Howatt JAGUAR.  I remember it advertised in the '60's.  You ever see an ad on that one?

Offline Waterhole-Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 08:02:00 PM »
Jack, I'll check on the Jaguar. I don't remember Howatt making a model by that name. There was a comapany that made a bow called the Jaguar. It may take me a day or two. Be safe Dave

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »
IKE

Both American Archery and I think TR_State made a Jaguar.  As I remember it, the Howatt had a really wierd grip that had you hand sitting about three inches forward of the arrow rest.  Looked a bit likean exaggerated BEAR SUPER MAGNUM grip. Kind of like a built in overdraw. As I recall, it was only out for a short time.

Maybe I am getting senile, but I can almost see the ad.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©