INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 63 Kodiak Mag type?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
63 Kodiak Mag type?
« on: January 09, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
I have just been pulling out some of my old bows that I haven't shot in years.  How do I tell which type my '63 Kodiak mags are, so I can shoot them?  Thanks...Jeff
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline kodmag1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 63 Kodiak Mag type?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 07:31:00 AM »
Jeff,
  I sent you an e-mail.
Chris Z.

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 07:55:00 AM »
Tippit
 If you have a type 1 the best thing to do is give it to me this year at stockbridge! Ill make sure it is well taken care of. I have a type 3 and 2 I can email you pics of Or ill try and post them this evening.
Dean

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 09:53:00 AM »
TIPPIT

The difference between TYPE I,II, & III is the amount of glass & wood laminations that contact the riser

The TYPE I is the most radical dogleg and only has about 2-1/2" (?) of contacvt with the riser.  THis is thr worse of the three

TYPE II is less radical on teh dogleg, and has more lamination contacting the riser.  This one is also unsafe to shoot.

TYPE III has the least omount of dogleg and the lamination goes almost all the way down to the arrow shelf.  o the best of my knowledge, this one is shooter.  

However, as with all old recurves, inspect it good for any delaminations or other problems.  If none, string it easy and let it sit a while.  Flex it a bit and listen for strange noises.  If it seems OK, I would shoot it from half drawy first, then 3/4 draw, then full draw, paying attention to any creaking or cracking sounds whil you do it.  

These bows are fantastic collectibles.  Better to have a solid wall hanger than a broken bow.

I have a type I.  I strung it, flexed it, let it sit over night.  The next day I shot it.  It disintergrated in my hand.  The upper limb split right down the center of the laminations.  I sent it off to someone that glued it back togeter and it is a nice wall hanger, but you can tell it has been repaired.

I had to learn the hard way.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©