INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Help, Bear Kodiak Magnum  (Read 970 times)

Offline noconw00d

• Trad Bowhunter
Help, Bear Kodiak Magnum
« on: July 06, 2005, 01:34:00 PM »
New member today so pardon my inexperience.  I recently got a bow from a co-worker who had an old bow he didn't use or want, just a family thing he had passed to him.  It is a Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#, looks almost like new.  I wanted to get back into bowhunting, and thought I would use this vs buying a new compound.  I have shot it and its nice.
My Question: based on some of the notes on this site, it has me wondering if I should be shooting this thing.  Is it worth too much as a collector to risk any damage, or is it too dangerous as it might break since its old ?  It must have been made in the early 60's since he had a picture with it from about 35 years ago.  
Any suggestions is helpful.  I just don't know what I have as I am new to traditional. I can post a picture if it would assist in helping me understand what I have.
thanks,
JT

Offline Archery_Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help, Bear Kodiak Magnum
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »
By all means, shoot it! Unless there is some damage to it, there should be no problem shooting it. I shoot many of my collectables, thats part of the fun for me.

One thing, I suggest only a Dacron string. Modern string materials may damage it.

Read my web site for facts about your bow.
Shooting recurves before recurves were cool

Offline KyLongbeard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »
I have a '70 Bear K-Mag also in #45 and will be hitting the woods hard with it this year. If you got it..shoot it.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
The only Kodiak Magnums that you should not shoot are the 1963 "doglegs" type I & II.  The Type III 1963 should be OK.  If the bow has angles in the riser, it is a dogleg.  If so, show it to someone that knws about them, or post a good picture here.  

The Type I had bad crack-up problems.  In an attempt to solve the problem, Bear came out with the Type II.  It also had problems.  The Type III solved the problems but Bear did away with the design and in 1964 they produced a new design that is pretty much the same as the Kodiak Magnums that are made today.  One good way to tell is if the riser has glass on the back of the bow that goes all the way through from top to bottom of the riser, it is NOT a dogleg and is safe to shoot.

If it is a Type I or II dogleg and in good shape, it will have good collectors value.  I would not shoot it. A Type III will also have a good collectors value, but is safe to shoot.

HOWEVER,  Any old bow that has not been shot in many years should be approached with caution.  Break it in slowly.  Stering it up and leave it for a few days.  Then try to flex it a bit, a little at a time.  Listen for any strange sounds like cracking or creeking.  Gradually flex more each time until you can get to full draw.  Then shoot it from half dray, then 3/4 draw, and finally full draw.  Once you have shot it from full draw several times with no problems, it should be good to go.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©