INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Indian longbow  (Read 840 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Indian longbow
« on: July 24, 2005, 08:29:00 AM »
Recently found an obiously old wooden longbow at a flea market in the original wooden box. Decal inside says made by Indian Archery and Toy Co. University model #1. 5 1/2 ft longbow.
Includes 8 Port Orford arrows - missing one - selfnocks. Limbs are pronounced "D" shape with hole in tip with string keeper. Appears to be missing possibly a floppy rest. Great shape for something as old as this appears to be.
Is anyone able to give me any info on this? I will have it at Denton.

Steve
[email protected]

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Indian longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 12:39:00 AM »
I had an Indian longbow in '56 or '57. You may have seen it pictured with the kid with the Butch wax hair style, in the Old Duffers Thread.

Just last weekend my wife was cleaning up and handed me, "A Handbook of Archer," by Indian Archery & Toy Corp. ; Evansville, Indiana.

I'm sort of a Year of the Rat kind of guy and saved the original booklet that came with my bow. It was marked, '5 cent ea.'

Yours was probably used for college archery, PE classes. (just a guess)
Mine wasn't that model.
In the booklet they recommend a 8" long piece of white wood, holding it out at arms length and make marks for your different Points of Aim.
They recommended closing the left eye, and sighting with the right eye, bring the pile of the arrow to the point of aim.
I remember that I got frustrated with that Point of Aim stuff in a few minutes, and just started shooting by looking. Enjoyed the latter for the last 50 years or so.

Yeah, Evansville, Indiana. Did I wander, sorry.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©