INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Stewart Bows of Washington State  (Read 1822 times)

Offline DBL

• Trad Bowhunter
Stewart Bows of Washington State
« on: August 07, 2005, 08:30:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me about the now defunct Stewart Bows, of Washington State?  I know that Bill the owner died several years back, and that the company was sold to Howard Bows, then, to Martin Bows, but, can anyone tell me about the bows, the quality, the building, etc.?  Where the bows ever very popular?  They look nice, especially the long bow styles, and seem to shoot well.  Are the styles in production somewhere?  thanks, DBL

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stewart Bows of Washington State
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:57:00 AM »
I know very little about Stewart bows.  I do know that Bill Stewart was an engineer, and was responsible for the setup for the production line at Bear Archery when they moved from Detroit to Greyling, MI.  He worked there for a long time and eventually left to do the same thing at Howatt Archery.  Upon his "retirement", he began making his own bows in limited quantity, but high quality.  His trade mark was a "multi-cam limb.  which had a bend in two locations on both the upper and lower limbs.  These were on his recurve bows.  I don't know if he ever made longbows, but I think that after he passed  away, his son took over the company and did produce some longbows (not sure of this).  

Bill Stewart bows are hard to find, but when you find one, you have a quality bow, regardless of its age.  They are also real collectors items.

Acknowledgeing my limited knowledge of Bill's bows, I am open to correction to anything I may have gotten wrong.

DBL,  What part of South LA?  I am originally from Houma.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline DBL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 09:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the input, the son doesn't build bows any more, as he sold the company after his father's death, to Howard Bow, and in turn, was then sold to Martin, if I understand correctly.  The dad did, I think, make longbows, both in full size, and in a take-down with riser.  Interesting, the bower's past, the bows I saw were very nice, built in the early nineties, both long bows, bought used, at an antique hardware store, for pennies on the dollar!  Just curious about the maker.  Originally, I'm from New Orleans, now residing in Mandeville.  Thanks for the valued input.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »
Don't have much experience with his bows, but Bill was from Haynesville, LA in Clairborne Parish.  I verified it with Bill before his death.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »
DBL

To bad you moved to Mandeville.  That puts you North of I-10, which is the Cajun MASON-DIXON Line.  Now that makes you a YANKEE.

Sadly, since I moved to North Georgia, it makes me one too.

You stated that he sold out to HOWARD ARCHERY.  That would be Jack Howard, and I know he did not buy Stewart out.  Most probably, he was bought out by HOWATT ARCHERY, who did in fact end up being bought out by MARTIN ARCHERY several years after Damon Howatts passing.

In any case, if you got a Bill Stewart bow for "pennies" you got one heck of a deal.  Congratulations.

CLIFF - I did not know that Bill was originally from LA.  Good info, and another Louisiana boy we can be proud of.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline DBL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 08:57:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, Papalapin, trying to put together the past history hasn't been easy!  All is appreciated.  Yankee?  Don't count on it, as all of us N.O. folks say, "Forget, Hell!"  I've been trying to find folks with these bows, and I don't know the production numbers or values.  I don't have the bows, a shooting friend does, and I find the bows to be very well made, flat shooting, no hand shock, at all, and just a very nicely lined shape.  I knew someone of good bowyer qualities had to be involved in the laminating and shaping, as the finished product is really very nice.  Would you know what these bows sold for, originally, and what a used longbow, in todays market, would bring?  My shooting friend also was given, in the sale, two sets of limbs, 68 inch longbow, and 60 inch recurve, WITHOUT risers, or handle.  Where could we find risers?  Thanks, DBL  P.S. Fried oyster Po-boy for lunch, and BBQ shrimp for dinner,,a Yankee??  LOL.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
Bill, .  built some fine bows, he was one of the good guys in traditional archery , and I spoke to Bill a couple of times before he died. We must have talked for about hour about archery , man talk about some good stories. Bills bows were sound and design for the bowhunter as well as the target archer.Just another bow I wish I had in my bow rack , but never will.
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline DBL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »
Bayoulongbowman, I know of several bows available from Bill, one takedown with two sets of limbs, recurve and longbow, and one long bow in maple.  contact me if your interested in these, and I can give you the bow details.  DBL

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
DBL, if there not lefty hand (same has Fred Bear) wont do me any good.. :)  my archery days may be numbered , Im rehabing from wreck and my bow days may be over ...I just hurt to much ...Marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline woodshaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 11:02:00 PM »
There is a God and he is still on the throne
and he wishes that none should perish.

PRAISE ALMIGHTY GOD

Offline DBL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 10:35:00 AM »
So sorry to hear that you might not be "bending the stick" much in the future, however, all of our thoughts are with you for a great recovery in feeling well again.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©