INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1964 ben pearson?  (Read 861 times)

Offline Bloodtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
1964 ben pearson?
« on: October 18, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »
I piked up this old bow it is a ben prearson cougar 706-64". I have been trying to find out the yaer it was made I think that it is a 1964 but not sure I went to the archery arkhives and loked but it is a littel difreant then the 64 there it is 45# but has whihte on the belly and red/brown on the front which dose not mach up to there descrition for the bows 45# but it has the cream riser of the 64 wich is the only year that I can find with the cream riser it is in good shape other than the finish on the riser is starting to come of I was wondering if I should restore it or just leave it?

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1964 ben pearson?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »
The Cougar is not a really collectible bow, to most anyway, so you will not hurt or increase the value by refinishing it.  It is a semi-recurve, therefore a bit less desirable than a fully recurve bow.  They are great shooters though and should give you years of good service.  The creme color you describe is probably a hardrock maple riser.  Kind of plain jane, but a good riser material.  I am not sure how far back the Cougar goes, but I know it was made as early as 1960, and probably earlier.  It was a low cost entry bow at the time.  It was my first composite bow, and at the time I was plenty proud of it.  I eventually gave it to a guy that was wanting to get into archery.  Wish I had kept it now for my collection.

The glass color will not help on determining the year.  The lower target weights were all white glass, and I have seen hunting weights all reddish brown.  I don't recall ever seeing one with brown back and white belly, but I guess they made some that way.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Recurvetd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1964 ben pearson?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 10:56:00 PM »
1964 was the only year the Cougar had a white center beam.
Pearson bows under 40 pounds had white glass over 40 have red or green glass. Sometimes at the end of the day they used what ever glass they had left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©