INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Commemratives  (Read 931 times)

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Commemratives
« on: December 23, 2005, 01:10:00 AM »
Just some "food for thought", 5 or 6 years ago Bear Archery released a series of Bows commemrating Fred Bear. If you aren't familiar with them, the 3 bows produced were a Super Kodiak, a Super Mag 48, and a Long bow. Each was numbered and came with signed certificate of authenticity and a nice padded bow case. I think they cost about $650 a piece, I don't remember exactly. I bought a matching set (all 3 bows have the same number). Only 1000 of each bow was to be produced. I don't think they sold as well as hoped. I have always questioned my sanity for purchasing these bows and to this day have never strung any of mine. I fail to see the historical significance of the three models they (Bear Archery) choose to produce. No doubt they wanted to use the forms they on the production floor at the time. With that said, if you could choose any 3 Bear bows to commemerate Fred Bear what would they be?

Personally, I would choose:
1. Grumley DeerSlayer
2. 1960 Kodiak
3. 1970 B handle (wood, of course)

obviously the Signature Bows were the first attempt to produce a bow to honor Mr. Bear and the high price these handles command today reflect their scarcity and appeal. any thoughts?
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Commemratives
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
Mine are not too far off from yours. Here's three and the reasons I feel they are deserving.

1. 1970 B Handle wood takedown- obvious reason being this is what you saw Fred Bear holding most of the time. Also a great bow to begin with, the ability to change limb weights, etc.  

2. 1960 Kodiak DeLuxe- probably the most beautiful bow ever built. A modern version would be a chance at doing it without cracks, separations, etc. I want mine with the original feather rest and large strike plate! Oh, and also use the 59 flat copper coin as a lot of them originally had! The cream colored silks on top of that zebrawood would round it out.

3. 1962 Kodiak- 61 and 62 were built on the same form, but the 62 with the dark Brazilian rosewood and gray glass really gets my blood running! But above all that, these are coming into recognition as probably the best shooting Bear recurve most have ever held. The long riser and shorter limbs made for a ton of stability and a very forgiving bow. This would be a hunter's bow. I'll have my 55# 1962 Kodiak forever!

There are lots of others that are deserving. Obviously the 59/60 has been duplicated by other bowyers.

Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to all my friends on this forum.

Sincerely, CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 05:36:00 PM »
1963 DOGLEG kODIAK  60" ROSEWOOD RISER, CLEAR GLASS

1964 KODIAK 60" ROSEWOOD RISER, CLEAR GLASS

1970 KODIAK TAKEDOWN WOOD "B" ROSEWOOD RISER #1 LIMBS WITH CLEAR GLASS, GOLD CLAMPS
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »
Chuck,
 I would have to agree with you on most of your picks except I would change a couple of things.Here's my picks.
 1)Bear Products Grumley Deerslayer,take-down,with a three-arrow scabbard quiver
 2)1959 Kodiak to commemmorate Fred's famous Little Delta hunt in Alaska
 3)Type I wood B-handle with white tip limbs and the shelf cut close to the hand like Fred's

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©