INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Metal Long Bow  (Read 911 times)

Offline Deerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Metal Long Bow
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
Hi everybody, a thread from Archery World recomended this site.
My brother in law has his fathers bow and I never saw any thing like it and am looking for imformation about it.
The bow is 300 miles away so this is all that I have to go on.
It is a beautifull take down metal long bow. Excellent craftsmanship, not a toy or cheap looking bow, the riser and limbs are metal. The limbs do not have a curve in them, very stright so I'm calling it a long bow.
I would like to honner my deceased father in law by hunting with it, if it's not detramental to it's value or collectability. Neither of my brothers in law hunt or shoot.

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Metal Long Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:40:00 PM »
If it's all aluminum you'd be better off not shooting it. They shoot realy nice but have one major flaw. The AL work hardens and the bows come apart with no warning.

They were real popular in the late 50's early 60's until that lesson was learned. I have a few of them. There was a local bowyer that made them so they'are relatively common around here.

Offline Deerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »
Thats good advice Dan, On both accounts. I'v learned not to give my wife a chanch at me.

I'm not sure if the limbs are AL. One responce suggested that it might be from Bear Archery and was Magnesium, do you think they were refering to just the riser?

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »
Bear made bows for a year or two in the late 50's with an AL lamination. They were/are known for coming apart. Very easy to ID as there is a silver line in the middle of the limb. They made magnesium risers for a quite a few years and there is not problem at all with them.

Offline Deerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »
Thanks Dan, I'll heed your advice.
 The silver line rings a bell. You hit the bulls eye.
Thanks.
 I'm going to another topic about a new buck managment proposal for NY.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©